Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get a solar panel trickle charger?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Too late unfortunately as I'm leaving in the morning, but will look into if for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I think I am gonna go ahead with it. You're right about Civic, however, I think this is an opportunity that I can't really pass up on. Plus for the mileage I will be doing, a petrol car would just be too costly.

You say you use that additive a few times a year. Would you be using it once or twice every three months? Or less?

Cheers, Colm and thanks to everyone else for your advice also! I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭jmreire

Do you use Dipetane or RedEx ( petrol or diesel version) I use them ( especially the Red Ex ) in all the Family Skoda's, and so far, no injector issues, and some of them have passed the 250'000 Klm mark. I once had a 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI Sports, which occasionally went to limp mode, until I started dosing it with 2 stroke oil at each refill. Never went into Limp mode again, and was a great car to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thanks Colm. I'll get some for the "Fleet" LOL 😊 A little bit of preventative maintenance goes a long way, especially when it's only a matter of pouring something into the fuel tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Is passing on the left becoming more common or am I just noticing it more? On dual carriageways and motorways I’ve been shocked in the last week at the amount of it and impatience of these drivers.

I was barely past a car and the person behind was getting ready to pass me on the left before I could move back.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

If you're diddling along in the middle or right lane then I'm absolutely passing you on the left... Overtake, move back and move on.

Sick of it daily, with all types of drivers/traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I think driving/sitting in the overtaking lane has become more common, so it wouldn't surprise me if people are undertaking as a direct consequence of this.

Driving standards in general seem to be dropping. My biggest bugbear is people not using their indicators, and it seems to be getting more common. I wonder if the Traffic Corp spent more time on pulling people for not driving correctly, would we see a mass improvement?

I don't hold much hope though. In the past two weeks, I've seen a Garda car swapping lanes repeatedly on the motorway without indicating, and a Traffic Corp car slowly drive past a row of cars double parked on yellow lines and ignore them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s entirely possible to not have to resort to undertaking. It’s about your approach. LED high beams help. Stay a reasonable distance back and flash.

undertaking compounds the problem as the numpties don’t realise they’re holding everything up.

Id probably undertake single digit numbers per year and I do a fair bit of mileage, not hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if an air-con pump/compressor isn't engaging does that mean the system is low on gas? or is it knackered? (the fuse is fine)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

probably knackered. What car is it? A lot of cars don’t have an audible clunk when the pump comes on these days.

We were never great for lane discipline but it was usually slow pokes who thought they had to be in the ‘fast lane’. Now people are sitting in it at around speed limit and the odd speed merchant who doesn’t move at all.

N11 yesterday I had a Tiguan a few 100 metres behind me in the rear view for about 40 mins. He or she didn’t move back until immediately before their exit. It wasn’t busy and there was no need to stay out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Probably waiting for you to move back into the middle lane so they could overtake!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

In fairness, lane discipline here is generally atrocious.

People also seem to lack the ability to maintain a reasonably steady speed.

He just didn’t have the raw power to close the last few hundred metres! He’d get closer then a hill would come up and he’d drop right back 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Can only agree with You here. I drive for a living and have seen some crazy stuff:

Drivers not using their indicators while on a roundabout

Drivers joining a motorway and going STRAIGHT to the middle lane with an empty inside lane. WTF is that all about? Try this on a German autobahn and you’d be at the very minimum pulled over by the police and issued with a hefty fine. Another thing that seems to be coming more occurring on the Irish M/ways is drivers hogging the outside lane, no matter what speed they are doing &

The biggest bugbear of mine is people using their cellphones while driving. I drive a van and see some crazy stuff. Why are a lot of pile ups happening in the outside lane? Because the driver has his/her phone down by their right leg and reading or texting, so there won’t be anyone passing them and deducing that they r using their phones. UTTER MADNESS

And now I notice a lot of people putting their phone on speaker and holding the phone while talking to the phone. These people don’t realise that anyone can see them holding the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Can only agree with You about the driving standards dropping. I once saw a bloke drive an car kitted out as a learner vehicle on the N4 talking on his phone. But something that really bugs me is ( especially ) on the Dublin Quays cars cars shooting up the bus lane to jump the queue. Have a Garda stationed outside the Clarence on one side & just after Liffey ST on the other side and the revenue intake will be great.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭zg3409

What car etc? Most systems will not drive the compressor if the gas is low, but there is a whole science to AC from different gas types in newer cars, detecting where leaks are coming from and more modern clutch less AC compressors.

E.g.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭zg3409

Re driving in right hand most lane, I used to flash car in front but I rarely do so now. I drive the 3 lane M50 regularly and I found drivers often don't react at all, they are in their own world and don't notice you. Sometimes you give up and go to undertake, at the same time they realise and suddenly change lane in your way. Also sometimes these drivers struggle to change lane and dangerously move lane in the way of other cars probably undertaking them at speed. After many years driving I find it safer to not flash and undertake. Similar with motorbikes behind on the M50, I used to change lane and move out of their way, but I found bikes often undertake at exact same time you are moving out of their way, so now I tend to just indicate right for a second so they know I have seen them, and they can undertake safely. When motorway is quiet I stay in left most lane when I can, but I find the rightist lane safest in rush hour. The middle lane is crazy with people changing lanes into your way regularly, and often cars from lane 1 and lane 3 both heading for lane 2 at the same time often creating near misses and panic braking all around. I have 20+ years driving all over Ireland and I have seen all sorts of crazyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I think I learned my lesson, well I don't know about that but this new boards must think so. The old boards.ie you get banned for what 3 days maybe a week. I was banned for 4 weeks. Since the 17th of June. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Remember that nut case selling the Jap TT in the dreamer thread well the big rant of posts he made that early morning of the 17 June. It caused me and him to be banned. As I named him earlier in the thread as he made a post on Facebook promoting the car he thought he was going to make a killing on.

4 weeks??? That is madness. Talk about driving away users. The buggy interface is keeping enough people away. You’d think there was no competition for eyeballs with that kind of banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my English cousin is coming over in a weeks time, the thing is she's going to be driving around in a mini with those prominent 'union jack' tail-lights -- will it be vandalised/targeted or have we gone beyond that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

We've definitely gone beyond it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are the lights on or off in that pic?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

If you want to change the Union Jack lights then dig deep into you wallet. My daughter has priced the change over as she didn't want them. It's not a straight forward plug & play. But as said above I don't think anyone would bother with it . . . . . unless you parked it at the Sinn Fein ard fheis 😆

• Advertisement

He’s at it again! Top quality as always.

Advertisement