Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

So everyone can tune in for the Haka on the hour, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Does anyone know if there's a live radio commentary online for Saturday? I'm stuck in the car for the duration of the match.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

For the crack could we request the angelus at 8 before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

They also won in NZ 30 years earlier in a one off test in 1973.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭RAKM

Commentary on 2fm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

All's well that ends well. The spirit of rugby summed up in this image :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Hopefully neither have any issues from it. I thought the red was fair but it was also a total accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yip definitely a red but definitely not malicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It was an accident but the tackle technique was careless. Sam Cane was trying to talk the ref down to a yellow by saying it was a prop tackling a back. Not sure if in New Zealand they make allowances for forwards having bad tackling technique, but if that's the attitude we can expect more cards tomorrow.

Cane did the same thing to Henshaw not long ago.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

a bit of a conundrum to see Ta'avao get 3 weeks ban for a clumsy, unlucky tackle attempt (albeit with a week off if he completes Coaching Intervention Programme) and Swain get 2 weeks for a deliberate head butt. World Rugby really needs to look at their sanctioning protocols as its wildly out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yer man was reefing the hair out of his head and he lost his cool, I'm sure that was the mitigation

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RoscommonHero

I think this is the best side NZ could have selected. They have been receiving criticism all week and will come out all guns blazing. If they can control their discipline and with the knowledge that Barnes is the referee I think they will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Decent team , my only change would be Larmour for Earls , the Earls of old , yes , but time catches up with us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It was this tackle that was the straw that broke the camels back for World Rugbys interpretation of high shots. After this hit they really clamped down on intentional or not and started focusing on reckless rather than intent (amazingly 6 years later there are large swaths of people who either don't get it or can't reconcile with it)

But I too thought of this very moment when he was complaining to the ref on Saturday. Sorry Sam, you don't ever get a leg to stand on here when your tackle was so bad it changed the rules of the game

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mitigation is one thing , but the starting point for a clear act of foul play should be much higher than that for an unintentional high tackle.

I have no real issue with the 3 wks for Ta'Avao but Swain should have been starting at 10-12 weeks for a headbutt and then maybe reducing down to the 6-8 week range for previous good behaviour and provocation.

Him getting less than Ta'Avao just sends all kinds of wrong messages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think the force of Swains headbutt was minimal, whereas Ringrose got absolutely poleaxed. No comparison in level of danger, with serious provocation by Hill who should have been cited himself. I think Swain was pretty restrained tbh.

Hill's behaviour needs to be stamped out every bit as much as Swain's and he got off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I'd argue Swaine starting at 12 weeks for minimal contact would send an even more terrible message. 8 weeks for brushing your head against a blokes cheek who instigated everything?

There are far too many inconsistencies in how the games is officiated and adjudicated. Some of the Kiwi 'games gone soft' reaction is ridiculous and over the top but it is incredibly frustrating week on week what is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Can’t wait for this one. Should be a barnstormer

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The most annoying thing about that incident was Steve Hansen coming out and lying to the media saying he reviewed it and it was a simple head clash, despite it being a straight shoulder to face contact. I think that attitude that he could gaslight the media about it was disgusting, and then going on to claim the Irish were doing neck rolls so that it balanced out and we shouldn't talk about it made it worse.

To be fair to Cane, he did come out afterwards and clarify that his intent was to make a big hit and he said he committed to charging in to make a dominant collision but didn't allow himself time to adjust to Henshaw spinning around, and that players will have to be more passive in future (said it in 2017). It was a bit of a pity though that he followed that by claiming there was no way he could have avoided it, completely ignoring that it was the height he attempted to go in at along with the force he was try to put into his shoulder hit that did the damage. Had he aimed a foot lower he could have completely cleaned out Henshaw legally and even the Irish fans would have applauded him.

Couple of Ireland players up to no good in the background. Aki then Ringrose. Mildly amusing for a Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

If anyone could forward a link to a site to watch the game online I'd be forever grateful. I'm over in Spain and can't find anywhere showing it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Article in the NZ Herald just now saying that Scott Barrett is a major doubt for the game.

He hasn't trained fully all week due to a knee injury apparently.

Who's the change if he misses out? Akira Ioane at 6, or some sort of rejig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

Supposedly Akira would come in and Vai'i will come onto the bench (He's apparently had covid and just recovered).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Given the relative strengths of the two provinces. It seems odd that there are more Connacht players in the 23 than Ulster.

Post edited by stephen_n on

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well as a few have mentioned, all I worry about is fatigue. If NZ go for a physical rough-em-up tactic we could see some close calls with injuries from the get-go. Barnes [someone said he is the ref] might find his cards popping out of his shirt a few times too. The first 15 minutes we tell its own story.

Dan.

I think it's New Zealand's default to get overly physical after a defeat. Like post Chicago in the Aviva 2016. They got way too much leeway that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Bit of a stretch to point to one game, six years ago, and call it their 'default '

• Advertisement

There have been more than that. We only have to go back a week to see reckless play.

Advertisement