Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

That is a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

That, and the cloud cover GL flagged are the reasons I said hold out till Friday before calling this an "event'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cloud cover was always a caveat with this and has been mentioned quite a few times already in this thread so it’s actually no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That low clears alot more to our south than previously forecast. England getting all the thunderstorms as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Just want to leave this link here for Monday if that is ok. I imagine a few of us will be watching this closely to see if we get close to the 33.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its all a bit OTT from the media isn't it

last year's scorchio lasted for over a week this one is only a few days, and there seems to be plenty of cloud cover as well and compared to what the UK and the continent is going through its midscale 😐️ (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

It was always going to be a diluted version of the uk/continent conditions.

the piss misery is clinging on to Atlantic coastal extremities for fear wed get a taste of summer for 1 fffing day in the year.

it would make you want to tear your hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I think I'll be bringing Mam and the sister to Enniskillen on Monday afterall. We postponed to Wednesday as we agreed a few days ago that it would be to hot for the drive and shopping. Ah well.

Yeh, met eireann now 24 for Dublin Monday.

Status Yellow - High Temperature warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday exceptionally warm weather will occur over Ireland with daytime temperatures of 25 to 30 degrees generally and possibly up to 32 degrees in places on Monday. Night time temperatures will range from 15 to 20 degrees.

Impacts:

• Heat stress, especially for the more vulnerable of the population

• High Solar UV index

• Risk of water related incidents

See Fire danger notice and full safety advice on www.gov.ie/summerready

Valid: 06:00 Sunday 17/07/2022 to 21:00 Tuesday 19/07/2022

Issued: 09:48 Friday 15/07/2022

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - High Temperature warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday exceptionally warm weather will occur over Ireland with daytime temperatures of 25 to 30 degrees generally and possibly up to 32 degrees in places on Monday. Night time temperatures will range from 15 to 20 degrees. 

Impacts:

• Heat stress, especially for the more vulnerable of the population

• High Solar UV index

• Risk of water related incidents 

See Fire danger notice and full safety advice on www.gov.ie/summerready

Valid: 06:00 Sunday 17/07/2022 to 21:00 Tuesday 19/07/2022

Issued: 09:48 Friday 15/07/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

and pretty much cloudy the whole time over the next few days apart from a few hours on Monday, looks like a non event to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Yip .. down here in Carrigaline, south coast ( south of Cork city ) .. CLOUD for last two months has been consistent party spoiler. Recently the mornings start out great, clear blue skies BUT THEN, over the hill ( about 20 mins ago .. clear blue behind me ):

And as the day progresses it results in this ( Yesterday afternoon ):

Once it goes like this the ambient temp around you drops considerably. The difference heat wise when sky is clear vs when the cloud comes is ( I think ) considerable, regardless what the apps and met are saying is the temp. Very noticeably gets cooler. I imagine this is due to not getting enough solid clear sunny hot days over last few months so the ground and ambient never gets a chance to retain heat. I would also imagine the water is still cold for a swim?

So with respect to the coming few hotter days down this neck of the woods anyway, I am expecting pretty much above and lots of cloud hence no 25 30 32 down this way

Its not a heatwave, a heatwave is 5 consecutive days of 25 degrees or above. Its a very short localised hot snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

That miserable sh*thole suits you well anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Cancels trip to the beach on Sunday, who wants to be near the sea when there's a blanket of cloud constantly over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

Actually it is going to be a very pleasant few days in Sligo. We don't want stifling heat and we are getting over 20 possibly today tomorrow Sunday Monday and a bit of Tuesday.

The only bit I'm worried about is that low to the West of Portugal. Its definitely going over 30c in the South Midlands. At worst Sligo gets 24 or 25c. That's great. We haven't have a temperature over 15c for 90percent of this Summer due to the prevailing Northwesterly Summer wind. But this fecks off for 2 days on Sunday and Monday before returning for another prolonged period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭esposito

Looks like our 19th century highest ever temp of 33.3 C will remain intact for another year 😕

@squarecircles I corrected that for you - "with respect to the coming few hotter days" - hope thats better for you :D

Post edited by aidanodr on

• Advertisement

Maybe it's time to scrap this record? There is uncertainty about it and the fact that it was recorded at a time when there was no great heat in Europe would further suggest its inaccurate. Also, there were no similarily high temperatures that day from nearby stations.

I stand corrected, but isn't the 32.5 recorded at Boora in 1976 the second highest temperature we have? Let's use that.

Possible National Emergency to be declared in England

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The Media love whipping up hysteria. If its not wind, its rainfall or cold temperatures....now Sunshine/heat. FFS would they ever just feck off and focus on the real news....like the state of the Health services, the amount of tax payers money being wasted on Quangos/exorbitant pensions/Nepotism in government, the homeless crisis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Absolute nonsense, this has been well discussed and researched. StratoQ has a thread dedicated to the 33.3c Kilkenny record over on UKWW forum.

In addition, Markree has 33.3c recorded too. Should all these recordings be wiped or altered for some bizarre reason?

Dublins 33.4c record in 1876 was disregarded because at the time it wasn't 100% sure if the thermometer was in a standard Stevenson Screen.

Is that not enough QC?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Even if the record isnt broken its going to be hot, some places will get lots of sunshine and others wont, same as any other warm spell in Ireland. I wouldnt be writing anything off yet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Look on a positive note the weather will still be nice by irish standards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I suppose the thing is, once again, the MEDIA hysterically hyping this event. Raising expectations well above what many will actually get .. when in fact I imagine come sunday monday tuesday it will be a completely mixed experience for most and not very consistent .. which is what our weather generally is anyway. The best of this will be inland while for alot of the coastal areas we might be looking at cloud and once cloud beds in, around 19deg .. as is the case now and for last while.

No problem with this ... Im not bitching it or being debbie downer, the media hysteria just does get wearing whenever there is any sort of weather event here and usually way over cooks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

You should be used to perennial disappointment by now living on the NW coast! The only way to potentially get good summer weather there is strong high pressure centred over the country and even then it's often spoiled by sea fog.

I'm in Dublin this week thankfully so finally experiencing some actual summer but even here it looks like a one day affair with a couple very warm but mostly cloudy days either side.

I definitely think it's been blown out of all proportion, at the end of the day it's just a bit of heat that most of us have experienced countless times abroad. But then I guess the prospect of breaking the record is worth a bit of hype..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The Boards weather thread are nothing if not consistent, I see a certain type of poster has taken over this morning with the slight downgrades.

It's Ireland and it's going to be widely in the high 20s, it's noteworthy all the same.

Advertisement