Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

No wasn't having a go with you at all, and you are right in everything you say. We live where we live.I have no idea about charts but love this thread. How do met eireann and the weather enthusiasts, differ so much ? Do they have charts that public don't? News at 11 on Claire Byrne show just said met eirann are saying nationwide hot temps Sun Mon Tues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭aidanodr

" News at 11 on Claire Byrne show just said met eireann are saying nationwide hot temps Sun Mon Tues."

Above the cloud :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just had a look at this mornings models and they have sobered up quite a bit. High twenties for most and a few places touching 30 or 31C. I can't see the record being reached or broken based on this mornings runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

You must be in nirvana then.

Gone is the fine weather also afterwards,Big old dirty pig muck from the Atlantic to follow on after the hot blip. Back to the grey cool stratus gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Looking forward to the great weather here in the south east, unfortunately have to work Monday on what could be the hottest day but will make the most of the weekend. Praying for thunderstorms midweek 🙏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Why is there always disgruntled people banging on about the state of the nation in a weather forum. Don't come here, don't read about the weather. just keep to the misery posts....

RED ALERT now in uk,

you couldnt have scripted it better.

i think the two are intertwined, i guess one could put up with the absolute mediocre dump that the place is if we had even a half decent climate.

But living in a kip and with one of the most miserable climates in the northern hemisphere is just a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

to be fair 40c in London if it reaches that is pretty dangerous

The air temperature doesn’t immediately drop when a cloud covers the sun. What’s happening is you are not feeling the sun’s radiation which easily can compensate for a cool breeze. When the sun goes in you feel the breeze. Any mechanical measurement won’t record that effect as they are only recording air temps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Record hopefully safe for another year anyway 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

I think how we view the weather in Ireland has a lot to do with our own situation. For example my partner consistently says the day is fantastic, lovely blue skies, warm etc, he spends a lot of time hill walking with his dog and working outside, he thinks Irish weather is amazing. Also we get to enjoy long spells in the south east of the country where we live part of the year and the weather for the last few summers has been wonderful. Contrast that to a friend of mine who complains non stop about Irish weather because she spends a lot of time inside and until recently was working non stop indoors. She does not have a garden either so feels trapped. In fact I sometimes think she prefers if it was bad so she didn't feel she had to try and go out in it. Weird I know. Just some observations I have made regarding Irish weather and this constant giving out about it when in fact we have lovely mild winters and generally really nice summers.

I will say this though. There is a definite difference here and say in Spain, Italy where Cloud and no cloud is concerned .. I think thats my point. In likes of Spain Italy for example if you do get cloud after blue sky the air around you is still warm and same for warm evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

From a meteorological point of view it’s a shame that we look to miss out on the record breaking temperatures while yet again we look on at what’s going on just across the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Quite disappointing looking at the forecast now for Donegal next few days. Looking like rain now Saturday and maybe showers on Sunday. Might be lucky to get one decent day out of this before a complete breakdown on Tuesday. Only difference is it will be a bit warmer maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's the likelihood of the auld sea fog hitting NCD?

Thing is .. if year on year from here the rest of Europe gets into the 40s or higher for long periods BUT we relatively, get more consistent mid 20s ( our version :D ) .. Ireland could become the new costa type holiday destination for the bearable nice temps that the likes of Spain etc previously had

Silver lining anyone :D

.s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭esposito

Totally agree. Really thought this plume would do it but alas not to be. It would be amazing if we got another bite of the cherry before this summer is out. Hopefully the Atlantic jet won't persist for too long from Wednesday onwards and the Azores high comes up over us in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

i cant see the the plus 20 degree isotherm getting that close to us again for many years.

it had its chance,and it let us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ugh, I was asked to start a thread on this and this is why I hold off on these event threads. I said all along, it was potential and nothing much more than that. The UK has had many of these heat spikes since 2015 and much of the time, Ireland has been on the periphery of them because the wind has been too straight southerly with the trough essentially parked over us. This time, the prospect was for more of a southeasterly flow bringing Ireland in on the action whilst the trough holds off briefly in the Bay of Biscay. The airmass being advected northward along with above average sea surface temperatures clearly had the risk of breaking surface temperature records provided everything played along such as cloud cover/exact wind direction and I'm not talking the national record which if you go back on my few posts, I never said had a chance of breaking. I said local records like county records. People were hyped about breaking the national record in 2018 too which I also said wouldn't happen then for various reasons.

All the talks of 2021 heatwave not being given much attention. I'll remind you then. Boards went through the "makeover" from 7 July and so discussion about the heatwave did not get as nearly as much talk on here as it would normally. There was a lot of downtime, people getting used to the new (horrific) site etc. I did plenty of analysis showing how exceptional it was during it and after. As for the media, the July heatwave came from a ridge of high pressure rather than an extreme heat spike and southeast England had unremarkable temperatures topping out at 32C which is not headline worthy unlike the 40C this heat spike could bring there. But anyway, I could not give a toss what they say because the words they print are worth less than a million computer generated NFTs.

It was always going to be a brief period, that's what would have made it remarkable if we did get to heights of 32C somewhere in the country like how the UK managed 37.8C on 31 July 2020 from a 1-day heat spike. After all, the 32C achieved in 1887, 1921, 1934, 1976, 1983, 2006 and 2018 all came after a period of warm, very sunny days.

From a purely selfish point of view, can you throw me a bone , will Dublin be under this cloud cover? Sorry for question but my weather knowledge is lookin out the window , zero clue with these different charts,BTW why do charts vary so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭esposito

As Gonzo always says, we are in the worst possible location for hot weather in summer and proper cold weather in winter. Too far west. The odd time we get lucky.

Anyway I’m going to try and enjoy the high twenties in the east (hopefully accompanied by good spells of sunshine).

Hoping we get lucky with a decent thunderstorm during the breakdown on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Indeed one should be careful what one wishes for. Should want to leave our record temperature well enough alone imo.

@SaoPaulo41 I was being a bit wry there with that comment. I can only relay experience from near south coast here in Carrigaline, Cork. Last few months we start with a clear sky and then cloud moves in daily, gets ( perceived ) cooler. This has been pretty consistent down this way .. as is the case today, earlier was great, clear blue, not any more.

Of course the issue with cloud cover and heat .. here anyway, is it gets oppressive, muggy, draining

So as for Dublin, no idea, others more qualified may answer you best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Guys do you know where I could look at the cloud cover predictions for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

Will be a big jump in temperature in Sligo. 14c and cloudy currently . At worst tomorrow is 21c Sunday 26c and Monday 29c before 15c Tuesday. Crikey.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

As my dad always says "there is 5,000 miles of Atlantic Ocean out there, what do you expect!!" Of course he is right but still annoys me.

The one thing I will say is the 1C or 2C drop in temperature forecasts won't reduce my enjoyment of this weather, however in winter that 1C or 2C change can be the difference between snow and rain!! Of course would have been good to have the potential of the record high challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

I don't think too many posters are interested in your shopping day trip to Enniskillen with your mother and sister.

Advertisement