Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oh yeah I totally enjoy it as well and don't mind the auld verbal ticks mostly but that particular one low key aggravates me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What’s happened Spanish and Italian cycling ? Use to have riders in the GC battle in grand tours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

globalisation of the sport

Nibali and Contador are the only 2 real contenders from those countries in the last 20 years though (if we’re talking about the Tour - the likes of Valverde, Aru, Rodriguez would compete in Vuelta/Giro etc)

I know Sastre won the Tour about 15 years ago but was a real freak year. Poor France has to go way back for its last GT winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

Guys bit OT - maybe a stupid question but where's best to stream it live? Eurosport looks like a sub is needed. Have TG4 on and while its improving my irish I'm missing a lot of info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

For 40 quid a year Eurosport is fantastic value if like me you lap up any cycling that's on. Other than that it's on ITV 4 if you can stream that using the usual methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

GCN+ if it's just for cycling. It's FTA on Satellite on ITV4 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Yes GCN is worth it for the lack of ad breaks. I just pay for the months I want to watch, at €6.99 a month it's great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

Just paid for a month with eurosport. ITV4 not playing nice for me. Just great to have it streaming when I in the office on an old chromebook as the recorded highligts aren't great at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think €40 per year for GCN+ is absolutely outstanding given the amount of live races they show.

At one point last month they had live coverage of the Tour de Suisse, Belgium Tour, Tour of Slovenia, and the Route d'Occitaine all on the one day!

And having live coverage from start to finish of each stage of the Tour and Giro is fantastic.

No ads is also brilliant. ITV4 would drive you crazy with all the ad breaks

You can't get Eurosport on it's onw anymore can you? You have to pay for discovery + now?

I know I've autorenewed my Eurosport every year for the last 5 at 29.99 even after Discovery became a thing so looks like they leave folks on it rather than risk losing them maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If you with Three on pre pay you can use built up credit to pay the sub.

Iuse this method for Strava, Disney+ & GCN.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I was happy with Eurosport apart from the adds ofcourse but then they showed some stages of tours and didnt show the main days, it was infuriating.

Tour de Suisse a prime example showed everything up until the Saturday stage , not a word nothing just gone.

I subbed to GCN right there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The EF jerseys and associated kit are going on sale tomorrow at 11am on the Palace website if anyones trying to get any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

What channels show highlights & any on at this hour of the night?

Edit (can't see any delete option, is this since the awful Boards 'up'date?

Eurosport!

Thanks,

Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

GCN+ is very good, they show lots of races and the lack of ad breaks are brilliant. The commentators do my head in though, Carlton Kirby, Rob Hatch, Adam Blyth, even Robbie McEwen at times are just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do you get Orla's post race show on GCN ?

You can also get the add free stream on Eurosport with the subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

No haven't bothered with the post race show yet, might give it a go.

Also I forgot to add that while I like Sean Kelly's insights into the peleton and his stories there are only so many times I can stand him say "Pog-ah-char" or "Vingegogo/Vingecho/Vingero". I swear he mispronounces names just for the laugh now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The post race show is available live on GCN+, and on the replay, but not as a standalone show (which is a pity).

I think if you only watch live/ highlights, there's not much between Eurosport Player and GCN+ (I've had both). However, GCN+ obviously has extra documentaries/ interviews as well. I haven't watched that many. Only other thing is that races don't really seem to drop off GCN as quick as Eurosport Player, but I could be imagining that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sean picked up all his cycling terms from riding with various teams so he’s a bit of a mish mash sometimes. No doubt someone from Kas or whatever called it that and that’s stuck with him. I remember Stephen Roche doing Eurosport commentary years ago struggling to find the English words for certain things

Doesn’t bother me at all. Always enjoy hearing Kelly’s “bonifications”

On one of the stages last week Kelly took the mick out of himself for the fact that he says calculation a lot 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

I like it. He still says things like Eye-Tallion exactuly how he would have pronounced it growing up near Carrick-on-Suir.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Because he has a mad accent. The chap speaks at least 4 languages but butchers them all, including his native English.

It’s part of his charm. I love listening to him.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is it just me or are the weekend stages a bit **** this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I'd usually be upset about people butchering names and foreign words but I'd give Sean a bit of a pass. He is not doing it out of a lack of awareness or respect like some ejit down the Costas. He was over in Belgium when most people here barely knew it existed.

He just has a mad accent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah the big mountain stages are all mid-week which is awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Fair enough. I quite like listening to him. TdF is probably the only bike race I watch, so it was a question borne out of curiosity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

now that I can understand Dutch I’d love to hear him speak Flemish. I wonder is it just as mad

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement