Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitudes towards defilement of girls under 16 years of age in Britain.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Iggy Bowie, thunders and page all seem to have the same underage girl in common

Ted

I've got no inhibitions

So keep your keys out of your ignition

I steal a car like I got the curse

I can't resist the old lady's purse

Jailbait you look so good to me

Jailbait won't you set me free

Jailbait you look fine fine fine

I know I've got to have you in a matter of time

Well I don't care if you're just thirteen

You look too good to be true

I just know that you're probably clean

There's one lil' thing I got do to you

I know I've got to have you in a matter of time

So tell your mama that I'm back in town

She likes us boys when it's time to get down

She's got this craving for the underage

I just might be your mama's brand new rage

I know I got to have you in a matter of time

Honey you you you look so nice

She's young she's tender

Won't you please surrender

She's so fine she's mine

All the time, all mine mine

It's all right baby

It's quite all right I asked your mama

Wait a minute officer

Don't put those handcuffs on me

Put them on her and I'll share her with you

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I wasn't trolling. That's my opinion, nobody has to agree with that opinion. Shame my post was reported though.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭antfin

Can I just clarify that, although this thread is about the UK attitudes, the age of sexual consent in Ireland is 17. Just so that it's clear.

Why would I be accusing you of trolling? All you said was "I really hope that you're trolling. Otherwise you're either lying or extremely misinformed" in response to someone who falsely stated that those child sex abuse rings were debunked (you'd think that they and their thankers might show a little empathy towards the victims). That's the comment I suspected of being trolling, not yours. No idea how yours could be deemed worthy of reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I know you're not condoning it but it already was illegal in the 1970s. Why would the lack of entertainers under 25 cause people to turn a blind eye to the defilement? Being in favour of 'free love' didn't necessarily mean being in favour of letting men have sex with under-age girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

In Rochdale, which is the most infamous of all the towns where this has happened. In one instance one of the parents of a girl found out where she had been taken. Her and her friend were in a house with 6 or 7 "Asian" men. The Dad was banging and kicking down the door. A neighbour contacted the police over the racket and when they came, he told them what was happening. The police, instead of checking inside the house, arrested the Dad for breaching the peace. This was recounted in court and was also reported by the Times of London.

What was the outcome of the court case? Surely, a judge wouldn't turn a blind eye to what was done to the girl.

Sure it was part of an overall massive court case against the men and also the police and social services. This was going on for years, but police were afraid to touch the subject over fears of racism. Sarah Champion, a very liberal Labour MP for the area, lost the party whip after she said there was a specific problem with men of Pakistanti heritage (a certain part of Pakistan it must be added for fairness) targeting white girls.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/sara-rowbotham-sarah-champion_uk_59bbad52e4b02da0e14106d5

They would ply them with drink and drugs and well.....I don't need to go into detail.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify for the benefit of some readers - the age of consent in the Republic of Ireland is 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I see the post has been deleted too - completely. Didn't think that was possible on the new site? The thankers were quite predictable really - they saw the word racism and jumped in

Would the police's attitude to the crime have been any different if the white girls had been defiled by gangs of white men instead? After all, misogyny is still a common problem among policemen in England, e.g. the murder of Sarah Everard by a policeman and the Whatsapp texts that were revealed in the aftermath.

By the way, Sarah Champion wasn't removed from Labour's parliamentary party at Westminster - she resigned from Labour's front bench - twice!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Champion

I think you should research the topic a bit.

In short, yes it would have been different. This was going on for years, across multiple towns in the north of England. There have been court cases, documentaries, books...Also, there was a race element to this. Not to be repeated here as its disgusting.

Do white men abuse girls? Of course they do. Is it organised on an industrial scale across multiple locations by a group who make up a small percentage of the UK population? No.

Sometimes the truth is inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Ah come on now! That's America's own Ted Nugent. You can't blame that idiot on the English.

And, I'm sure I asked this once before to complete tumbleweed response but is there ANYONE here on this (European) side of the Atlantic who has EVER owned a Ted Nugent album? I certainly haven't, but that's because I really love good guitar playing. And Nugent is a cat-swinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Yes. But surely there is mitigation in the fact that the 18 year old he married (at the age of 54) stayed married to him for the rest of his life? 30 odd years.

Yeah, Oona seemed very happy with Charles, but she lost contact with her dad, writer Eugene O'Neill (his reaction was understandable in fairness).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,333 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This.

People, today, judging what happened before many of them were even born, never mind sentient, are barking up a tree they have no idea about. Before the 80's, 16 was considered to be a young adult. It's only quite recently that 16 was turned into a "child".

The late 70's and through the 80's and 90's saw numerous societal changes as to what constituted an adult, to the point where today we don't really reach adulthood until we're in our 20's. Back then, however, most people considered you an "adult" when you left school and got a job, and for a huge number of folk that was at 16, especially if you were of a working class background. It wasn't uncommon at all to be married at 16 or 17 years of age and to have knocked out a kid at 18.

For generations and up until the latter part of the 1970's, that was the norm for a lot of people, while today we view it as something that probably shouldn't happen. My own parents left school at 16 and from that point they weren't considered "children" any more. My dad went to Liverpool and joined the army. My mother went and worked in a shop. They were married and had their first kid by 18 and all of that was considered perfectly normal for most of the 20th Century.

Now, of course, none of the above is to be viewed as some sort of excuse for predatory behaviour by reprehensible characters. But when we are talking about those times it's always important to consider what were the norms of society in the period in question, and to not view things through the prism of what we consider to be "correct" behaviour today.

These days we, generally, have a greater understanding of our growth and mental development and at what ages we reach certain points of that development. We understand today that at 16 years old we are still at a pretty delicate stage and that delicate stage can last until we're in our 20's. At 16 we are no longer children (16 is not a "child"), but we are not adults either and it's debatable as to what point we become "adults". There are plenty of people in their 20's who would still be harbouring the same immaturity they had in their teens and are just as susceptible to uninformed decision making.

Exactly. Most of this is social programming, and the encouragement to see teens as being children, but a hundred years ago things were far different. Teens were far more likely to be considered adults, and the social conditioning of the time prepared them for that role. In WW1 hundreds of thousands of young teens (14 year olds) fought in the war.. It was simply a different time, with different expectations regarding people.

Applying modern standards to the past simply shows how little that person understands the way things were.

In 1975 if you were a woman the same age as a pop/rock/tv star you were probably married with 5 kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The age of consent in UK at the time was 16, Page and all the rest of them were as much nonces back then as they are now, no matter how much the entertainment industry tired to normalise their deviancy at the time.

Of course, back then there was a lot efforts from pedo groups to link **** kids to civils right and gay rights. Lot of that about these days too, eh lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,333 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The very concept of a "teenager" never really existed until the mid 50's and that was largely down to American marketeering. The American "teen" became a hot sales area, especially for music. Before that, it wasn't a thing.

My grandfather and his brothers fought in WWI and all of them were over 18 when they joined up. But there are stories of very young boys being accepted into regiments and the recruiters turning a blind eye. A common joke at recruitment stations was to ask the young volunteer who gave his real age to "go around the block and come back when you're 18". 18 was the legal age technically, but in order to flood the ranks boys much younger than that were let through as it were.

My dad was in WWII and, as said, joined when he was 16. In the 40's there were tighter restrictions than there were during the Great War, but young lads still managed to find their way into the rank and file.

These days, any military body caught doing something like that would be subject to some serious penalties indeed. But back then there were different standards as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,397 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Of course, back then there was a lot efforts from pedo groups to link **** kids to civils right and gay rights. Lot of that about these days too, eh lads?

From where? Hadn't seen a headline about NAMBLA in forever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Will you ever get off my case? It’s getting boring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just roll through a few threads on here of lads trying to defend **** like this, it might jog your memory

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No one's defending anything, as well you know. Just pointing out that attitudes were different back then - which is stating a fact, and defending nothing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I have read newspaper articles and watched TV reports about it. Why would white policemen in England be more afraid of being accused of racism than they would be of failing to help under-age girls who were sexually exploited by gangs of men of Pakistani Muslim background? After all, sexual abuse of children always causes a public outcry when it's reported by mainstream journalists, e.g. the revelations about the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Attitudess to women's rights were completely different in the 80s,90s, of course it was against the law, but famous men djs, pop stars were known for having sex with fans some over 18, some younger . Laws are more strongly enforced, and there's alot more scrutiny of everyone on social media. The world has greatly changed in the last 10 years, basically everyone has smartphones, every famous person is photographed every where they go at every social event. It's a cliche certain actors only go out with women who are 19 or 20 , they avoid any woman over 25 years of age

And how long did the RCC continue it's behaviour before the media finally got on board in reporting it? Just as the members of the police, politicians, etc all would have had to turn a blind eye to any reports, claims by parents or the victims themselves. We've become very quick to entirely blame the RCC without considering all the organs of society that would have been needed to keep such secrets beyond the attention of the general population. Although with the amount of censorship that happens in Ireland through RTE and the government agendas, it would be hardly any surprise to find out that others kept such details hidden for decades.

As for why the cops would be more afraid of claims of racism, that's pretty obvious.. it was the policy of the time. The PC movement was in full swing, and the British governments jumped on to it quite strongly in imitation of their US allies. Claims of police racism were more likely to gain media and official attention than just about anything else.. and TBH I suspect it's still the same today. The attention given to racism in English speaking western societies is rather strong, and has been for well over a decade.

Sexual abuse of children only really garners attention when it's a public figure involved.. the rest of the time, most people prefer not to think about it.

• Advertisement

Obviously, even the BBC was guilty of turning a blind eye to the crimes committed by some of its presenters.

As for sexually-motivated crimes committed against children by not-notable persons, the general population has paid a lot of attention to the crimes. For instance, look at murders of Sarah Payne, Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman - the murderers were not public figures. Furthermore, Sidney Cooke and Robert Oliver and their accomplices were not public figures - and they're not Asian either!

I suspect that there was a variation based on 'white woman syndrome' at play, i.e. victim-blaming on the basis of white under-age teenage girls wearing inappropriate clothing (and girls of that age group still do that today, even in Ireland!) and thus not being viewed with the same level of sympathy as Sarah Payne and Holly and Jessica and Madeleine McCann have been.

Advertisement