Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Funny it's all about Ukrainians for you.

What about the other 70% that are not Ukrainians.

What about the ones masquerading as Ukrainians.

Have you a thing against just Ukrainians.

Perhaps if we weeded out all the fraudulent asylum claims we would be able to help the Ukranians better than offering tents

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

“International Protection”

they are the new words now

Its what the recent complaints are about on this thread, just staying on topic is all

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Option 3: stop giving wasters the gravy train of a lifetime.

You probably think Jacinda down under is awesome, but if someone here proposed we had an immigration policy similar to NZ you'd be screaming racism

It's great to hear someone speaking sense in the daily, but christ almighty O Brian has shown what an absolute out of touch idiot He is. Can't wait to see him eating his words as a cap or total cessation on migration is inevitable.

• Advertisement

I heard it too and it was unbelievable. She steadfastly refused to say there was a problem, saying she was following up thousands of people who had pledged accommodation and it would all "come to fruition"!!! She's so out of touch, bonkers. I actually couldn't believe what I was hearing. Sarah McInerney sounded stunned herself and kinda just said "we'll leave it there so".

You believe that refugees from Ukraine are wasters on a gravy train?

Thankfully Ireland has chosen to go with option 2 and ignore the whiners and just get on with helping these and other folks arriving here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,266 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are many arriving here seeking a shed load more from the state / taxpayers then basic protection. Which is what asylum is.

don’t want anyone in a tent but I’m fine with a modular home with furniture, running water, electricity, cooker, kettle, shower and food storage…

“Taoiseach Micheál Martin has insisted people fleeing wars will be prioritised in the Irish asylum system after he revealed only 30pc of people in the Citywest reception centre in Dublin are Ukrainians escaping the Russian invasion.” Awesome..

’wars’… there are about 23 major conflicts / wars ongoing…. If we apply that there will be thousands and thousands more arriving every year. There won’t be anything near the quality of life we’ve been having..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 end_101

It's a problem in the long run when you consider native Irish people are about 3 million, Nigeria is 160 million, Africa is over 1 billion, India over 1 billion, China 1.2 billion and so on. The world population is 8 billion leaving indigenous Irish at 0.0375% of the Worlds population.

We are an endangered minority essentially. We are also without any ethnic protections from our government which is quite hostile to our own interests while they inject a a million + foreigners into the country, most of which have no intention of leaving.

Please stop using the Ukrainian refugees as an example of what the problem is.

You know right well that the problem is not Ukrainians and no where near what we had intended to help have arrived here.

Why don't you tell us where the accommodation and health services are going to come from for these migrants. Or are you like our government, on some kind of crusade to to turn this island into one big massive refugee camp.

Please stop posting pretending to be defending the Ukrainians and maybe suggest some solutions on ending the migrant fiasco in this country. Something our government cannot and isn't bothered about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It could be worse, voters in my constituency voted for Violet Wynne.

Actually I have no problem with real Ukrainians getting anything from the government. If they are genuine refugees from Ukraine then it's only right to help thme.

My bigger problem is that there is no basic test to see if they really are Ukrainian. As a result, it's already happened that groups from Africa and the Middle East have exploited the situation to claim they were living in Ukraine. And nobody challenges them on the obvious lies. I've been to Ukraine. It's not exactly a multicultural melting pot, not even in Kiev. I doubt anyone could live there and not pick up a bit of the language. We should be separating the genuine refugees from the opportunists.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Option 3 - give them 300 euro per month, the average wage in Ukraine, rather than 200 euro per week(along with other benefits that make it look like a minor lotto win to the average Ukrainian). BTW that figure is far and away the highest of anywhere in the world. In Germany, the strongest economy in Europe, they get just over 300 euro per month, and have to jump through hoops to get it.

Option 4 - Vet every single case from Ukraine coming into our country. If found to be chancers, throw them out at the first available opportunity. Only take in women, children and the elderly and injured men, or single fathers. Use Ukraine's own criteria here.

Option 5 - Introduce a cap. Introduce a clear plan for the future to return and re-integrate them into Ukraine.

Option 6 - Non Ukrainians get vetted, including those already here and if found to be welfare and economic tourists, which most of them are, throw them out at the first available opportunity. Automatically throw out those coming from the UK recently.

You may choose to peddle the royal "we" as far as help goes, but even slanted surveys that came out today show the Irish people are turning a corner on that and the first such survey a few months ago when "we" were far more on board showed half wouldn't give a room to Ukrainians, the other half would, if they had the room. Hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

And watch how Ireland, not Lalaland is shifting against that and rapidly. Fast forward a few months and we'll see how Ireland chooses as a people. This is the joke and irony, two things the Right On are remarkably and hopelessly deficient in; they quite understandably and rightfully want to head off currently miniscule Far Right threat creeping into the narrative, yet because they run on naivety, feels, magic money trees and deaf ears to realities on the ground are hellbent on creating the very environment where the same Far Right will thrive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I decided to write to my 3 local government TDs. I doubt I’ll get a proper answer from any of them. Alan Farrell, Joe O’Brien and Darragh O’Brien. But we can live in hope.

Dear TDs, 

What would you describe your job as? What is your remit as a TD? 

From what I can find online, the role of a TD is to be the elected representative of the Irish citizens in the area they are elected. 

There is no mention of being a representative of the UN, the EU, multiple NGOs, Pharma companies, Vulture Funds, Ukraine, Nigeria, Georgia or any other country in the world. 

So why do your parties have Ireland and the Irish people so far down your list of priorities? It has gone beyond incompetence now, and looks more and more like a planned collapse of Ireland. We have porous, open borders. We have rewards for people entering the country illegally. We have sex offenders remaining in the country in contempt of a court order and our gormless Minister for Justice calls it “a complex matter”. We have people flooding into Ireland from “war zones” in Ukraine and heading back on holiday once they have secured social welfare here. We have “asylum seekers” who once granted status head back to the country they are seeking “asylum“ from on holidays. 

We have had a housing issue in Ireland over the last decade and more, we were told there was nothing that could be done about it. Suddenly, we can find housing for thousands of non-Irish people on top of full social welfare, medical cards, free travel etc. If I lose my job tomorrow I’ll have to jump through 100 hoops to get a social welfare payment, multiple forms, bank statements etc. I won’t be housed, fed, watered and given my €208 a week on top of that. I’ll be given €208 to buy food, electricity, heating, rent etc. Thats the thanks an Irish citizen gets after paying taxes for the last 24 years. 

Is there absolutely no one in government with their ear to the ground? Why are you trying to bankrupt the country? Why is there no proper deportation process in a country over run with fake asylum seekers? Why is the government so fearful of NGOs?? 

I don’t want a mealy-mouthed reply back about this, that and the other and doing our best. If this is your best, then admit you aren’t qualified to be in your position and walk away, do the honourable thing for your country. 

I want to know what you, as my representatives in Dáil Éireann are doing to represent me, my family, my friends and the rest of the Irish citizens in Ireland. What are you doing to secure the future of Ireland? Bankrupting us won’t help us. I have absolutely zero faith in any of your parties to represent me. FF and FG may as well merge nowadays and the Greens aren’t even worth mentioning. None of your parties will ever get a vote from me or my family in the future. 

My main hope for the future of Ireland is that the U.K. threaten to close the CTA and it forces Ireland to tighten its borders, and that the upcoming recession forces the IMF to re-enter Ireland and make us fiscally competent again. There is a lot of pain coming worldwide when this upcoming crash kicks in. Hopefully the backlash gives us some decent new parties who are willing to work for the people that pay them and that they can remember who they work for. 

Yours,

Would you mind if I used that too? Excellently written and to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

“Taoiseach Micheál Martin has insisted people fleeing wars will be prioritised in the Irish asylum system after he revealed only 30pc of people in the Citywest reception centre in Dublin are Ukrainians escaping the Russian invasion.”

30 per cent. Even if that were true it would be a disgrace. Frankly, I really doubt it's as high as 30 per cent. But of course we'll never know the real estimate because nobody has a clue what's actually happening. It's total chaos.

This is tangible action that we can all take. We need more of this. Well done folks.

I just sent the email to Willie O Dea, Brian Leddin and Kieran O Donnell. As Fandymo said, we probably won't even get replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

That’s it let them know personally their lack of representation of people who work in this country will have consequences

• Advertisement

Probably not. But it's a start.

The pushback against this madness is never going to be led by those at the top. It has to come from the ground up.

Nobody in government or the media will ever risk their reputations on this issue. The buck stops with nobody.

Very well written, but I have come to the conclusion that it will land on the desk of someone who doesn't care or hasn't a clue about the state of the country.

You see these people are sitting on their big salaries with their private health care and also knowing they will always be looked for towing the line.

Another conclusion of mine is that alot of our policy and decisions are being made in Europe in exchange for guarantees of cushy appointments and jobs for the boys.

A blind man can see that this government has no interest in the good of Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Thanks for letting us know. I've send them all emails explaining who they are getting the emails from and showing them support. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

"Thankfully Ireland has chosen to go with option 2, and ignore the whiners"....Were the Irish people even asked what they wanted??? I would not want to be politician going door to door canvassing when ever we have the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

And how did you explain "who they are getting the emails from"? Did you use the term far right, racist, white nationalist by any chance?

You are completely deluded if you think you are helping. There is a long overdue debate to be had in this country regarding ILLEGAL migration by non-EU and non-Ukraine migrants.

People have valid concerns but you want to dismiss them as being "anti-immigrant".

I would wager you are in a minority. When it comes to immigration the population of Ireland are like a herd of sheep getting coralled by one or two sheep dogs. The ones who speak up get chased and nipped at by the sheep dog. The rest of the herd see that and move to run a way.

In my opinion there is a LOT of unspoken disagreement with the Government's (lack of) policies on this issue. It's chaos, it's being made up on the hoof, and there is nobody who will take responsibility for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,101 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That must be wrong. Sure we were told it’s only a few that want that in here.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/07/15/numbers-seeking-refuge-in-ireland-almost-double-2019-figures-unhcr-says/

"Enda O’Neill, head of office at the UNHCR Ireland, said the State has been receiving about 380 to 400 international protection applications a week since May.

This is in addition to the Ukrainian refugees that are arriving into the country, which stands at almost 41,000 since February.

“We have to be cognisant of the fact that we’re just on the back of two very difficult years during Covid when travelling was very difficult so if you go back to 2019 and compare it to that period, it’s a little under double the figures for that period,” he said on RTE Radio’s Morning Ireland."

Advertisement