Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is up with America?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Man people are spot on regarding San Francisco, I was there myself eight years ago and the homelessness was off the scale, I'll never forget the moment our shuttle bus dropped us off outside our hotel, the amount of homeless people outside it was crazy and I actually thought something was wrong, these were people who were clearly either mentally unwell or off their heads on drugs, fellas running around acting crazy talking to themselves shouting and roaring and one guy was running around with a bed sheet around him acting like a ghost.

Next day when we went touring around they were everywhere, people lifeless sleeping on the sides of the road, outside shops, in doorways...we also went into a church and they were tons in there sleeping, just sleeping on the benches, also seeing people rifle through dust bins looking for food was the one of the saddest things I've ever seen, we were going in for dinner one night and outside the bar was a guy rooting through the bin eating/collecting what he could find, it was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

We were in SF in 2019. Booked a hotel for three nights just off Union Square.

First Day. Wife was shocked by the homeless people everywhere. Many of whom had obvious mental issues. I told the wife that we'd be best off getting back to the hotel before dark as it gets a bit scary after dark. She ignored me as usual, but as soon as it got dark, the place got an awful lot creepier and she was glad to get back to the hotel.

Second Day. I didn't have to coax her back to the hotel before dark. She was heading for the hotel at 5pm. No exaggeration, we must have been approached more than 10 times by people begging or shouting at us. There's clearly a lot of unwell people there.

Third Day. There wasn't a third day.. She didn't want to stay in the city any longer so we left even though we had paid for the hotel room, which wasn't cheap.

It really has to be seen to be believed. I don't think any Irish people who haven't been there can imagine that level of homelessness, mental illness etc.

I do acknowledge that all of the US isn't like that. I've lived in Mountain View outside of San Francisco and it's lovely. Pretty safe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Same reason that people get Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia mixed up. One type of crazy is much like another

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

California in general is a dump.

San Francisco, LA, have major issues. but the other parts of the State also have issues, crime ridden, expensive and dangerous.

Liberal policies have made this state what it is. Personally, I hate going to CA and avoid it at all costs. It may have megastars in Hollywood.... should I say Beverly Hills, etc... but that is the only thing going for it in my opinion. (not that I chase celebrity). The weather is perfect.

Can I think of another reason to go to California? Nope!

What everyone has said above is right on the money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The american suburban dream is/was a racist fuelled pyramid scheme that is turning middle america into a post industrial wasteland. The malls are closing, and the car centric infrastructure is crumbling. We should learn the lesson that urban planning if not done right will result in societal collapse, but the FFG seed of corruption may be too deep seated.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

San Francisco used to be my dream city. I used to be obsessed with the place at Uni. Think I prefer Brighton to be honest. Similar amount of entitled lefty twits but much fewer homeless.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Uniformed on Politics and Mental health.. well done.

The good weather is part of the reason why they have so many homeless.

There is significant migration from the Mountain/Central States into California which makes sense.

If you are going to be homeless , better to be homeless in Coastal CA than spending a winter outdoors in Idaho,Indiana or Illinois for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean yes the infrastructure is overdue investment but still I would say the us might have some of the best infrastructure in the world. Like last week I went on a 1000mile drive to Michigan in about 12 hours. The broadband isn't bad and despite the spikes in energy, it is a fraction of the costs in europe. You have the occasional power outage like I'm Texas but that is a policy issue(I won't say which one lol). It's no Japan but they haven't got the density for that, it's a vast country, some parts are governed atrociously but other parts are as tranquil and secure as Norway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I’m heading back to the SF area for the first time in three years next week. Will be interesting to see what has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

According to Business Insider this week: you need a net worth of 1.7 million dollars to be 'financially comfortable' in San Francisco..

Feels like we've really fallen back a century, with Charlie Kirk and others suggesting government should be married to church.

And in Georgia, Republican candidates have been referring to these once privately commissioned and sited Georgia Guidestones as 'satanic' so someone bombed them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I read overnight that the whole thing had to be demolished due to the damage caused.

Really going full cult in places over there - Banning books , destroying works of art...

I saw in Texas that they were trying to get Slavery described as "involuntary relocation" in schoolbooks as well.

Irish people were mentioned in that these guys wanted to suggest that Irish people migrating to America in the same time frame was somehow similar to Africans being bought and sold as property.

Part of the proposed draft standards for the curriculum directed students to “compare journeys to America, including voluntary Irish immigration and involuntary relocation of African people during colonial times,” the Texas Tribune reported and Davis confirmed to The Post.

She said that such comparisons were “absolutely” not fair. “The journey for the Irish folk is totally different from the journey of Africans,” she said, adding that any comparisons “will distort a lot of things in a young child’s mind.”

Thankfully the proposal was rejected

I know you can take care of yourself but have an auld wander down The Tenderloin or Mission any time during the day or night or try Oakland at night to soak in the atmosphere. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Who the **** did I just watch lads

High five to that sly dig at the Dems and Debbie Wasserman Schultz and all their primary rigging horseshit.

Mick Wallace - A National embarrassment

FFS - Wearing a Pink wife beater while attending the European Parliament.

What an utter utter arsehole.

And that's before we get into his tax dodging and Putin praising behaviours...

Don't forget Ming. He's doing us proud out there too. When he's wearing trousers on a Zoom meeting that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But where do you find it and why on earth are you reading it and then sharing this rubbish?

• Advertisement

It's about America which is the topic of the thread.

Why don't you make a contribution instead of moaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I stop on the street for 3 minutes, most of the time some one comes up to me, have you got a euro, after 8pm, young people ask me where can I buy drugs. I.m over 45 years of age

I have no idea where you can buy anything apart from Tesco or aldi or amazon com

The problem is many states cut back on welfare and homeless services ,, there's places with 1000 of tents in the street.old People 65 years old can be seen working in Walmart

Some city's in USA are so expensive ordinary working people live in cars trailers

Many people in America work 2 jobs just to pay the bills

If you don't have a college degree you are probably working for 12 dollars an hour

But I read theres going to be a shortage of teachers in dublin, young teachers can't afford to rent a flat

Violent Crime in New York other city's seem to be getting worse

Every country has a few bad Politicans nó country is perfect.

Some days I'm asked 5 times have you got a euro I don't even bother replying I just move on

It's strange red states are pushing anti abortion laws meanwhile they cut back on services that might help young people single mothers family's. Basic welfare services

People with guns will have more rights than a single woman that might be pregnant

Oh yay, the crusades.

https://www.newsweek.com/evangelical-christians-viral-video-america-flashpoint-atlanta-god-1724670

“The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries. [Letter objecting to the use of government land for churches, 1803]”

― James Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭yagan

The USA was the future once.

That's horrifying. It's like they want to rerun the thirty years war.

It's also a death cult - the "7 Mountains" thing that they talk about is all about bringing about the "end of times"

The Seven Mountain Mandate is part of dominionism.

Followers claim that the biblical base for the movement is derived from Revelation 17:1-18, wherein verse 9 reads, "And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains" The seven areas which the movement believe control society and which they seek to control are family, religion, education, media, entertainment, business, and government.[5] They believe that their mission to take over the world is justified by Isaiah 2:2 "Now it shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established on the top of the mountains."

Followers believe that by fulfilling the Seven Mountain Mandate they can bring about the end times.

Scary doesn't begin to describe it..

How did your trip go? Has it gotten any worse since you were last there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I leave tomorrow.

Frankly, I'm not hoping to spend too long in SF. I'm mainly checking on my rental property in east bay, then hit the State Railroad Museum which I regret never having gone to after 20 years living there. Will swing by wife's old place in Tenderloin, then Berkeley/North Oakland for Ethiopian (difficult to find in Texas), they are both good spots to determine current states of affairs. Flying visit, home the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭yagan

When you hear the US fundies at full tilt they sound like they never really spiritually evolved from the thinking of their immigrant ancestors, that the US was goods gift to the righteous etc...., not dissimilar to the manifest destiny common in many European empires before WWI.

Advertisement