Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Suppose trying to find a suitable replacement will be difficult

With Bonner gone In Tipp it has really thrown a spanner in the works. Very likely the Tipp CB will be knocking on Cahills door and he be mad not too take it (possibly won't be asked again if he refuses it)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Heard from a ‘reliable source’ that it’s a done deal (i.e. Cahill gone) ; official announcement tomorrow.

IF true, good luck to him. Brought some respectability back to Waterford though it was an ignominious ending to his tenure.

Will the Ballygunner management team be an option ?

Very important appointment and we don't need a repeat of the Pauric Fanning appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

How much of this type of rumour did we hear last September….Cahill was on his way to Tipp for sure we were told numerous times…..won’t believe any of these rumours until the Co board make an official announcement……I did hear though that Justin McCarthy is bringing considered 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah I'm the same deisedude, it's hard to know what the best outcome here is really. On one hand, as you pointed out above, there are definitely glaring errors that would bring about concern and question marks over whether lessons have been learned from past mistakes. The championship was an unmitigated disaster and Cahill has to take a good chunk of the blame for it. The problem is, if he goes, his next side gets the benefit of that experience and once again we (like when Davy was over us) were the guinea pig/testing ground where his teeth were cut and big mistakes were gotten "out of the system" so to speak.

In saying all of that, I still would prefer him to stay (obviously only on the basis that his head and his heart are fully in it) for the simple reasons that a) he still has credit in the bank and a different approach next championship season (i.e. running the legs off the players with heavy training sessions in between crucial championship games) may yield better outcomes. And b) Cahill leaving would leave us a bit up in the air in terms of a replacement. It would be hard to know who would be best placed to take over and it would be a shame to see all the work put in the last few years under Cahill going a bit to waste. The continuity factor is worth something IMO but I suppose we'll see where this all goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭ForestFire

If Cahill goes to tipp, Could we try and give Bonner a go, might have a bit of extra incentive now with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

the story around how Bonnar was treated by the Tipp co board in being let go is absolutely disgraceful if true.

if Cahill has an ounce of respect for his former team mate he should tell the Tipp co board to do one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What's the story doing the rounds Mastermc? Not across the details, all I read online was just the wording "being relieved of his duties" was a bit harsh but I'm sure there's more to it than that

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Not sure Cahill would change approach next year if he did stay, I'm not sure he believes his training was the issue. And it may not have been, though it seems to me the likely explanation because there was no gap between league and championship so such an abrupt dip in form is hard to explain otherwise.

I thought the team selection for the Clare game in response to Pruntys injury was baffling, injuries on the day didn't help, but we had no ball winners in the forwards once Gleeson, Kiely and to a lesser extent Bennett were taken out.

I'd still prefer he stayed, he's a proven manager that the players believe in and if they could reassess things and tweak it for next year it could yield much better results. If he's gone, that means you have to start from scratch again and you're taking a chance on whoever comes in who likely won't have any inter county experience.

I will say though if he really doesn't see any responsibility on his part for what's gone wrong this year then maybe it's for the best. Either way next appointment is very important, there is a small window left in some of our better players I think and Cork and Tipp (if Cahill goes) are getting their act together. The future beyond the current team looks pretty grim at the moment.

• Advertisement

He was made to prepare a presentation for a 13 man co board committee to review what went wrong in 2022 and plans for 2023. He then got a call a few hours after saying his services were no longer required. Just seems to have been very badly handled and Bonnar has come out himself and saying He’s upset at how it’s been done albeit in a dignified statement

its obvious the decisions had already been made in the background with a ready made replacement lined up, the question now is if that is Cahill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭celt262

Liam Cahill gone, best of luck to him and big thanks for the big lift he gave us the last few years

now wtf we go from here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

He couldn't stay. Senior players wanted him gone. Same with Bonnar.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

Whatever your view about him staying or going and to be honest my views were purely from a practical point of view better he stayed but to be honest I think the season in the championship was such a car crash it would have being difficult to lift them up again . Anyway I think the timing stinks a bit , we’ve being irrelevant since end of may and it shouldn’t have taken this long to get this sorted one way or another , should have being sorted weeks ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

He couldn't stay after the debacle in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

From what I heard a few weeks ago the majority of the senior players wanted him to stay. There was a cohort that wanted him out, and they are the same ones who wanted previous managers out.

One newspaper mentioned that there was a review of the season undertaken by the county board and that Cahill didn't appreciate some of the findings. I can't back this up though as I'm only going by the article.

Could Peter Queally finally get it now ?. Maybe he might put together a good backroom team (which is needed nowadays)

The underage management teams of the last years

The Ballygunner management team

Derek again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It seems to me, there's one man who has been very heavy in the media the last year of Cahill's time. Doing everything he could to heap on the pressure. Texting players...

The dogs on the street know who has done everything he can to come back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Lads, beware of Tipp posters writing shite and made up lies both here and on Twitter about waterford hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

McGrath, Brick, Tony Browne, Iggy O'Regan and Donal O'Rourke as coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

Please tell me this is a wind-up. Derek McGrath had his chance, a good long stint too. No way should he be given the job.

Not unusual for managers to come back after long spells

Liam Sheedy in Tipp

Jack O Connor in Kerry (3rd spell now)

James Horan in Mayo

numerous others too, tbh the players will buy into Derek. its a different landscape now though and some of his favourites not there atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭914

With the exception of James Horan, the others won the All Ireland with their respective counties.

5 years McGrath won one league title. Hammering in Munster final against Tipp.

Didn't win a game in the round robin in Munster

Played shite hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

He proved he wasn’t up to it. He has nothing to offer. Waterford are going nowhere if he comes back.

as for players who didn’t want Cahill to stay they should all be dropped from the panel.

the panel should only have players who want to play for Waterford and who will do what is asked of them by whoever is in charge. Not the sort of sh1t that was on display in Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Peter Queally…….Do many out there think that this would be a good appointment…..? Did he have much success with his time in charge of various clubs…….did he manage passage the time they won the county title…?

Don't think he would be a good appointment on his own. He went for the Job in 2013 and 2019

Caomige boss Derek Lyons might be a contender but again nope. Best of luck to the Camoige tomorrow against Limerick in the AI QFs

Really tough job now for the committee (if it's set up). Not much available in the county

Outside the county maybe someone in Kilkenny might get a itch to prove there worth. Not Eddie Brennan

I don’t know but if you continue to mention the Bgunner management team 50 more times it may just happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Ballygunner management have bigger fish to fry in the medium term.

Joxer maybe!!

Advertisement