Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Whether it's 24 or 34 degrees there's not much difference, it's still great weather for beer gardens, beach, BBQ etc.

On the other hand in winter the difference between 0 and 4" of snow is colossal.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Wrong. Met Eireann starting flagging this to the media on Wednesday this week. So there must have been a certain amount of 'taking the charts seriously'. Let's all just keep calm and see what happens. Nothing set in stone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

You're right. I was acting a bit off my rocker with that post. A tad OTT. Yes, plenty to be thankful for. Let's all enjoy whatever sunshine we get.

No problem. To your credit you always seem to look after your mam. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

ICON this evening giving us a sobered up version for Monday. Just about at the 30°c mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's a nice summers day...hotter than that just isn't fun...even 30 is a little much

Don’t get me wrong it’s more than respectable for Ireland, just feels like we’ve been there done that and want a bit more ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I'm seeing up to 31C on meteologix site, good few areas getting up to 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

I think you are reading that incorrectly.............I'm seeing a 93°c over Kildare!!! 😉

Indeed Meteorite. So more or less of the same hymn sheet as the morning runs

• Advertisement

GFS still going for the 32° over Limerick with 30° over a few midland areas on Monday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Icon 12z see's the heat completely gone by Tuesday morning everywhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah only very slight fluctuations really.

ECM 06Z

Still showing 31C too in places.

Yeah gone totally. But GFS still nudges the high twenties for Leinster

Still a spread from the models on what happens on Tuesday, currently ECM still on track to deliver heavy showers / thunderstorms and some more prolong spells of rain, other models backed off a fair bit, ICON just the SE. Bit to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

I hope you are correct. Was looking forward to some hot weather.

You can imagine my disappointment seeing met eireann crap forecast for Limerick on Monday and Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Good example of the temperature differences for my fellow corkonions wondering about the temps - as rebelbrowser alluded too earlier on - in person Vs met eireann / GFS models - currently showing 18/19 degrees for my part of the west cork coast, when my own thermostats are showing 23/24 with a southerly breeze as well (and it definitely is, pure blue skies too :D ) so hopefully similar happens in the coming days where it shows about 20-22 but will really be higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Billcarson

My dad's attempt to try to keep his house cool over the next few days . Total spacer 😆

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The black stuff on the windows is really going to help! 🌡️😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

34c is mental heat for Ireland and a world away from 24c.

Its a massive temp for anyone working outdoors, farming, even anyone concerned about buildings. For anyone running a fleet or even just their old, or new but unserviced car. Its killler heat.

For bbqs, its grand though.

'Fond' childhood memories of picking stones on a farm we'd bought in the summer of 1984. That was serious heat. And great to experience. And it willl be again. Looking forward to records being broken (hopefully Birr or Oak Park) and then the mother of all thunderstorms. Like 1985.

Its all to play for, folks. Models and official stations are just popcorn to the real event.

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I am just looking forward to the 23c max. forecast for Greystones on Monday! 👍️ Never gets too hot right by the sea.

Would love to be back in Dublin 16 for the hot spell. Remember lolling in the back garden in July 2006 with thermo hitting 31c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z remains very warm to hot for Monday with a 32C for Shannon. The exteme temperatures for Meath seems to be off the table now but still high twenties possible. This could be down to thunderstorm activity. The GFS 12z is looking close to 1985 in terms of thunderstorm potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Isn't the ecm still showing 31 for your part of meath gonzo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I really think people need to calm down a bit here and realise that we humans are able for 30 degrees for a day or two. A lot of people are losing the run of themselves, no doubt aided by the mass media frenzy.

On the radio on the way home they were interviewing some lad on Lahinch beach and asking him if he was looking forward to 32 degrees this weekend and he said "ah yeah, the only thing I can compare it to was when we were in Spain and it was 40 degrees". 🙄😂

The sensible thing to do on Sunday and Monday is to close south and west-facing curtains during the day so that the sun doesn't make the room like a greenhouse and too hot for the evening and night. Then open the windows up in the late evening and you'll be fine. A nightime outdoor temperature of 16 degrees is not insufferable, it's the fact that people let their house heat up during the day that makes the nights sleepless.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Last July witnessed a more prolonged hot spell and build up of heat. 2018, 2013 too. I can't remember any heat fatalities among the vulnerable and elderly.

ECM very hot for Monday, only minor variations from each run, slight shifts on where may be the hottest. A bit of a closer look below of what it is currently projecting.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see it reach higher than this, maybe get a 33 or 33.5 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BBQ Sunday in Ireland, stock up on burgers, charcoal and booze (and suncream). Going to be a great weekend lads! (✷‿✷)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

135 years..

That's a fair gap to bridge to 1887🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Booked Monday off work, once in a lifetime event

• Advertisement

Worth booking the day off for.

Once in a lifetime..maybe!

Advertisement