Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

I went tethered.. I get the look side of it. My charger and cable is behind the downpipe so can't really be seen...having used it a grand total of twice it's handy not to have to take the cable out of the boot.. one of the electricians who looked at quoting me for my install recommend untethered due to cable breaks from repeated winding up.. all down to personal choice really... I'm away at the moment and using untethered charger at hotel and it's not a life sentence to take the cable from the boot and plug both ends in but it's not quite as handy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Oddly when you are talking about cycling to commute no one ever gets wet yet a cable that gets used once or twice a week will 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes that’s it

now if it it was a plug in hybrid and you had to charge every time you get home it’s a bigger pain but most people with bevs charge once or twice a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

6kW V 7kW (not kWh).

Couldnbe simply load balancing at your parents or a lower voltage. The kW output is a multiple of Amps and Voltage I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

HI all,

may be someone can point me in the right direction with this issue.

it is my wifes car so I have no idea. so long story short and maybe it is not related but yesterday something in the kitchen blew and tripped the fuse box for the sockets so reset the trip. my wife went to charge her car and she only noticed now after charging the car last night, The home charging point has no power going to it, can anyone tell me how to reset it? or do we need to get someone out?

• Advertisement

Have you checked the trip switch for your Charger? Do you have a breaker switch in your meter box?

Cheers, I didn't know there was a breaker in Meter box, all sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

There should be a seperate RCBO(Trip) for just the EV charger. Is anything else down in the fuse box?

Any chance your install was done from the ESB cabinet outside?

micks_address was able to answer it. yeah the trip switch was in the cabinet outside. so its all sorted now cheers though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

5 years into EV driving with two EVs and we swapped out the untethered for a tethered last year, the zappi wraps the cable neatly and we were done with opening the boot, getting cable out in the rain when charge required, same in the morning when leaving for work and it was raining. Now it's a subconscious routine. Note, we have PV so either car is plugged in almost daily at this time of the year.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Your socket tripswitch and the one in your meter box shouldn’t both have tripped. There’s something not right and would need to be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Got my grant money back on Monday. I think it took 8 weeks or so for me.

I didn't even get an email telling me they processed it. I just happened to check my bank account and noticed €600 was credited from Sustainable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Got my 600 quid last week too after absolutely no contact from them at all. Sent my stuff to them first week of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Me too , had planned to book flights with it. But ended up buying school books for the kids. 🤬🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Am I right in saying you can't sent off for the grant until you have the car, even if you have the VIN number?

Yes. Grant Payment form requires copy of VLC and a photo of the car plugged in With the Reg visible.

Submitted my grant payment request this evening..

Got this email

Thank you for submitting your Payment Request Form and supporting documents.

We are awaiting the submission of the Electrician’s Form to be completed by your electrician.

I guess I need to nudge my installer tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mick

Post edited by micks_address on

Payment request

Cool. I think your sparks can now upload a form online.

Once SEAI have all the docs, they then verify through esb networks that the forms have been lodged correctly by the electrician.

Then they process payment.

It can take 8 weeks or 12 weeks based on recent experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Just seen this pop up, If your looking for a dumb charger, need to get your application in soon

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-charging/ev-smart-chargers-registe/

contacted the installer - they had missed a form or something and uploaded and i got an immediate email from seai saying all was in good order and they could start processing the payment application... ill post when it gets paid.. good to know at least its coming

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

This is going to catch some people later in the year where they buy a charge point online and find afterwards that it doesn't qualify for the grant.

And its going to knock a lot of the secondhand sales as most of those are dumb charge points that people are shifting on but will no longer qualify for a grant... e.g. the original ESB charge point that was grant funded will no longer be allowed under the new criteria, so you can't buy it secondhand and use it for your grant application. Its going to force everyone to go with more expensive charge points or forfeit the grant.

Like a lot of other government policy directions we are simply following in the UK's coat tails. They mandated smart charge points a while back.

whats the perceived value of a 'smart' chargepoint? i know from my own - apart from being able to see it available via an app on my phone and receive software updates doesnt add much...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There are a few things but mainly

• dynamic load balancing to ensure your house doesn't get overloaded
    • shifting the charging from peak hours to night time hours.... which the cars can do via their timers anyway but they want it in the charge points for some reason.

• They cite other reasons like V2G but that is not necessary to qualify just yet, but they will probably make that mandatory at a later date when that technology matures.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Is there a list of triple-e approved chargers to date?

Kore specifically, where can I find out if the Tesla Gen 3 charger is triple-e rated??

I assume if you already have the approval granted but not yet hardware purchased or installed then the triple-e does not yet apply?

thanks,

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they can work with dynamic pricing when it becomes available

better battery management, tell it what time you want it charged and it’s figure out the most efficient way. Rather than just pump out 7kw, it may put out 4kw or delay the charging.

better grid management, if there’s high demand between 1-3 am it will put off or reduce chargers.

if there’s excess RES between 1-3 am it can send all max load to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

• shifting the charging from peak hours to night time hours.... which the cars can do via their timers anyway but they want it in the charge points for some reason

Unless you're the proud owner of a VW Group MEB vehicle - where the scheduled charging in the car doesn't work yet (open ended yet) I'm very glad I have scheduled charging in my ABB charger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sceptic in me thinks the smart chargers aligned with smart meters are only heading down one road, an EV home charging tax

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Smart meters cannot determine what the power is being used for. As for a reporting requirements for centralized tracking of charging from smart meters. In theory you could see a smart charger that is adjusting it's charging based on prices also reporting units units but We're the same country that health service was running Windows XP. The costs of any such IT project to implement a tax would dwarf the revenue and most likely fail due to privacy reasons and I don't mean GDPR which would allow tracking, I mean the right to privacy in your own home free from government monitoring.

I did heard the Brits are looking to bring in mandatory cut of switches for charging to protect the grid, again all this is one way traffic. A lot of homes in Ireland have smart tvs, yet we don't suspect that they will start narking us out to An post for failing to pay a license fee.

Advertisement