Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

I'm having flashbacks of the Ori Ginso Tree 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sometimes. Did it and variations nightly but just stopped and stuck with Heardle, Framed and Lewdle.

But if you're looking for dedicated thread as well, there are threads for it and the variations like Quordle in the Puzzles board

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Klonoa might actually finally be selling well:

/rant

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Ape in Sekiro is the most horseshít boss I've encountered in Soulsborne games. Just an awfully put together boss fight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah to be fair it’s one of the funniest bosses in video games ever. Genuine guffaw when I realised the prank From were playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everyone should pick up the Klonoa 1 and 2 remakes. They're just insanely good platformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

He is single-handedly responsible for that fad where playable characters would be forced to move at glacial speed whilst talking to someone over the radio or phone, usually with their hand placed on their ear. It was an even bigger blight on the 360/PS3 than the piss filter. He needs to pay for what he has done.

• Advertisement

I'll go to bat for gears of war. Super dumb shooter but it embraces the stupidity and has extremely solid and satisfying mechanics.

As for the walking slowly thing, I get the feeling that it was a clever way to disguise loading times, a necessary evil whereas lesser developers were like 'what an awesome way to give the player exposition!' and used it to lore dump their **** lore on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

That's the thing, I don't think it was. It may have been later on in the other games that copied it, on but IIRC Gears did it excessively whether you were approaching a new area or not. I think most games used the whole stuck in a lift or crawling through a hole in a wall thing to mask the loading times.

Fuga: Melodies of Steel is free up until the third chapter with saves carrying over if you buy the game. Good way to try out what was one of my favourite games of last year:

For movies we have framed.wtf and now we had a game version.

I guess if someone wants to start a separate thread to post guesses like they have for other games in the puzzles forum, it would be better than filling up this thread with their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

PowerWash Simulator is interesting.

This van was pulled out from the bottom of a lake, so I gave a good clean.

Before:

After:

Before I started playing this game, all I thought I would be doing was power washing granny Murphy's driveway or old Bill's Cadillac, but I never thought I be pressure washing a van pulled out from the bottom of a lake!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The jobs get... big. And quickly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

But also, before then, the last bastion of true arena non-aim-assist-destroyed shooters - UT2K4. Fast, accurate and varied in game modes. GoW was a shocking departure in ways but it was still decent in itself. It just enabled the slow retrograde of shooter game design that followed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I reckon if I tried to play Quake 3 Arena, my 41 year old wrists would just spontaneously combust and turn to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

While I enjoyed doing the first job, I gave up on the second job. PowerWash Simulator is not for me.

It's insane going back to the recent quake rerelease and seeing just how fast old shooters were before consoles slowed them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My 4 year old is mad into star wars. Saw super star wars for the SNES on my shelf. Asked to put it on. I foolishly thought ah this will be a nice kids game, it will be easy and he will love it.

Set it all up, an hour later and I can't beat the first level 🤣🤣.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A lot of people here obviously haven’t yet discovered the incredible Neon White: a glorious shooter designed entirely around being blisteringly fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You think it's bad, the sequel contrived to be even harder! Can't remember if Super ROTJ was as bad but Super Empire was ludicrous.

Have fond memories all the same given how great the GFx and audio was, but it's easy to forget just how aggressively anti-player those old game were. Modern games might hold our hand, but stuff like Super Star Wars were the polar opposite.

If you play them now they don't hold up. They are pure eurojank games where you have to tank hits and its compensated for by enemies dropping loads of health. At the time they were technically impressive particularly the snes renditions of the soundtrack but they don't hold but. Also even back then they were considered ridiculously hard. They toned it down a bit for RotJ I heard but I haven't played that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Star wars on the NES was mental. One part you had to blind jump to the next screen, then land on spikes, then jump off them again before they killed you.

I got to the last mission a few times but never cleared it.

You had three lives and once you died you started the whole game again.

Played the PSN release of Super Star Wars I got with the PS4 Battlefront Edition. Think I got as far as the Sandcrawler. May have made it inside once before leaving the game.

The Japanese one from namco is even weirder as it had Darth Vader turn into a Scorpion. Just like in the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah the glory days where games were completely acceptable if they were too hard to beat. A 4 hour game would last weeks/months just because of how hard but fun it was and you'd never think it was a bad game (in most cases), just that you weren't skilled enough to beat it.

To be fair, Super Star Wars wasn't Dark Souls, it was just an unfairly hard game in this instance; the game's difficulty curve was total bullshít, enemies flying around with random patterns impossible to predict. While just aiming at enemies was tricky cos nothing lined up along the axis you aimed at. You can see in the video the player has to contort just to hit the scorpions. These were the nonsense games that predated the sort of common design principles we take for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sounds like you just needed to git gud..... jk.

Yeah, it just had me reminiscing of the days where a game would just be completely unfair whether it was designed that way or not and you'd just accept it (i did anyway). No patches, you made do with what you had :)

Also reminds me of being 5 pound pocket money and going straight to a shop in town that sold C64 games, what a magical time.

Advertisement