Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 150th Open, St. Andrews, 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Well said, the course is playing as good as a modem one, nobody bats an eyelid when modern US courses are yielding 24/25 under but if a 500 year old course does it, then it’s been overrun.. it’s holding up well ..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Exactly.. was Seve trying to cheat when he wanted argued with Paramor for relief From a burrowing animal?

No he wasn’t trying to cheat, he was trying to use the rules in his favour.

xander was not trying to cheat, he was trying to use the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A lot of the reason nobody makes a big deal of those courses on the PGA Tour though is because it’s understood that they are almost run-of-the-mill courses

This is a major course - I’m guessing that’s the argument from most to counter what you’ve said, and I’d agree with them

And I would counter :

2020 Masters DJ 20 under..

Speith and Tiger 18 under at the masters..

2011 US Open, McIlroy 16 under

all major courses

20 under could win this years Open, no different than other majors.

The Old Course is doing well against the big hitters and new technology.

maybe some have a reason not to like the course, maybe couldn’t get a game or get tickets,

I’ve played it previously and was there earlier this week.

Its what golf is all about.

Maybe focus more on enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

People always complain about those US courses being too easy though, saying that nobody bats an eyelid is simply untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hovland holing putts with seeming ease

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Rory might start getting a little frustrated, watching his playing partner Hovland sink a couple of longish birdies to tie for the lead. While Rory has been far closer on birdie opportunities, but hasn't gotten any yet. Early days though in the 3rd round.

At least no lost ground. Eagle chance on 5 now, hopefully get at least the birdie (so will Hovland), to get something going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Doing well against the big hitters in that 7 par 4s are driveable and the par 5s 2nd shot eequires a short iron? It's good entertainment and the history and tradition is definitely covered, but there's definitely an argument for saying its not a quality course, nowhere near as good a course as any other on the rotation and quality wise it's not good enough for a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Doing quite a good job of identifying the best golfers in the world with that leaderboard!

If it wasn't a quality course it would be some kind of crap shoot, no?

If a guy plays a hole well and birdies it, that's not the sign of an easy course, it's when a guy plays the same hole badly and bogies it that's the sign of a well designed course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Some standard of golf being produced by the players today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

All valid, for sure. But how about 7 driveable par 4s? Some with 3 woods. I just think birdies shouldn't be 2 putts. Anyway, I'm happy to agree there's 2 sides to it, and I'm enjoying the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory and hovland had to wait a long time at that tee

Drive and putt, drive and putt

People often do complain about Augusta though, hence the constant effort to lengthen the holes

Not sure what your last sentence about. Did I say anywhere that I personally wasn’t enjoying it?

Nope…but people are more interested in bashing the course rather than just enjoying it.

Its just very samey and the complete lack of anything really exciting in a bad way happening anyone takes away some fun, i like a drivable par 4 on a course but not this many, its just hard to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

This course is a joke. Some absolutely woeful tee shots not being punished at all. Scheffeler hits an absolute shocker of a tee shot, ends up on the 5th? fairway and he’s in a great position to attack the pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Fair play to the Roscommon fella for getting on the TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Sky Sports commentary gang are making this a tough watch.

Wayne Riley is even more insufferable than he usually is

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Has anyone hit a fairway in the last half hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They seem to be a bit wayward for sure.

Johnson doing god knows what the last few holes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2 terrible shots.

Mcillroy and Hovland in spot of bother too. Entertaining stuff, wouldnt want to underestimate the course even if it's not overly penal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was thinking before Rory hit that poor second shot on the 17th, don't go over by the wall, and yet that's exactly what he did.

I can't remember who it was, could be 20 years ago or more possibly. Someone was in similar trouble, but they had no backswing, so instead they hit the golf ball off the wall and back onto the green. I'm sure I could find it on Youtube.

Found it, wasn't as old as I remembered. I do remember watching it at the time, still super impressive. Miguel Angel Jimenez, 3rd round in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lovely putt on the last from mackers

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Impressive round from McIlroy, was in some control of his ball today

Advertisement