Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Brilliant win. It doesn't get any better than that unless you win a World Cup.

Great style of play from Ireland. VDF, Sheehan, Bundee, Henshaw, Keenan were very good but Tadhg Beirne is such a classy player and produced those big moments when they were most needed.

As for NZ Foster will take the flak but they don't have the players they once had. Even with players up North they are lacking depth and top players in key positions especially at outhalf and the backrow, areas that NZ were always so strong in. Barrett nor Mo'ounga offer the control and kicking game that they really need. Mo'ounga should have started at 10, as Barrett seems to have gone backwards a bit.

Without Savea (who was excellent) they have nothing in the backrow. Cane was anonymous and Ioane is not top level. Worrying for them is that there doesn't seem to be young talent coming through. One time you had classy 7s continually coming through but it has been poor for a long time and McCaw and Read held those positions for a long time and papered over the lack of depth coming through.

Looking at NZ they also look physically small. In the past they had Nonu and SBW in the 12 channel and they gave them go forward ball and players were coming onto the ball at speed.

I thought Ire should have kicked more to touch in the 2nd half as the NZ lineout was struggling and we didn't need to be kicking back loosely to Barrett and Jordan who again should have started. Not sure if he was injured coming into the series.

Delighted for POM and Sexton. You can see what it meant to them. Over a year out we will need to continue to tweak our game and be not afraid to bring in young lads if they are good enough as so much analysis is done these days you need to be changing your approach to stay ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This poster posts nothing but misery about everything in fairness

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Will Jordan in a well coached NZ side is the stuff of nightmares, tbh. He's electric.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Apart from when an Irish team loses to a French team, then they're delighted with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

well that was something else. comprehensive again. well done to all players and management.

their 1st home series loss since 94?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

I care , cos its complete and utter horse shite. Ohh sexton beat the all blacks so hes better than BOD. Childish tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Well after reading all the comments on here about how the ABs were going to be resorting to the dark arts, dirty play, cheap shots and late hits; it was Ireland who brought the thuggery and scumbag play. Blatant high shots taking out Brodie and Ofa, trying to strangle Ardie and the ultimate act of dirty play was Lowe trying to cripple Jordie by diving at his standing leg when he kicked. Thugs!!

Just kidding 😜 Great win for Ireland. Absolutely deserved winners. Showed great mental strength to impose their game again after the 3 ABs tries. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah yes. Let's get rid of the best thing about the sport. Summer tours and SH visits in November are part and parcel of the game.

What a **** melt of a situation.

EDIT: For clarity.

Post edited by BonnieSituation on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Autumn and summer match's will still happen just part of an overall tournament. Shut the "just a friendly" crowd up once and for all at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

He’s not wrong tho, with the global calendar it’s predicted that tours like this will be a thing of the past in the near future! It would be a massive shame if so but that’s the way rugby appears to be evolving

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

But "series's's's's" and the tours won't be how they are now. Anyway, we'll see how it lands. Let's enjoy this phenomenal day.

Oh I know he isn't wrong. I'm merely stating my exasperation at one of the truly wonderful things about this sport being ruined.

Look at how this day pans out for all 4 Irish and Brit teams. That's summer. With the GAA ruining their own calendar and a soccer world cup in December. It's just another crock of **** to add to sports bring ruined every which way.

That was just an incredible performance and an incredible game of rugby.

Hate to single out any individual players after such an awesome team performance, but Tadgh Beirne literally won the game for us in the utterly crucial final 15 minutes. Just time and time again came up with utterly huge moments. Sublime.

James Ryan was immense tonight. Josh van der Flier incredible, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Hugo Keenan, all absolutely immense.

Incredible series win, phenomenal achievement.

Forget about the negativity and misery, just enjoy the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Most Impressive for me is the mental resilience they’ve shown on this tour. Both teams rattled in their first games and turned it around. That period today when NZ bagged 3 tries would have done us in at anytime before. Incredible resolve and confidence to take it home.

And it’s not taking the forwards for granted to recognise that some of the back play today is better than anything we’ve seen from an Irish team.

Shout out to the refs too, over the course of the series they handled a lot of madness very well to set up a phenomenal final.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

A lot of credit to the coaches who took on such a tough tour on a hiding to nothing but now have a large squad of buzzing, confident players heading into the future.

The Herring try was such a huge moment, and I was screaming at the tv because it felt like he'd broken off too early and was going to get himself isolated. Incredible finish from him.

I actually can't wait to watch that game back and just savour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't think Ireland missed a single tackle in the first half. An almost flawless performance that had NZ totally rattled

I was worried that we didn't make it count on the scoreline and knew NZ would score at least 2 in the 2nd half but fair play to the boys, they kept the lead and the subs came on and played very well.

NZ tried to impose themselves in their traditional borderline legal way but Barnes shut the door on that early on and NZ seemed to have no backup plan

Ireland were lucky with the colour of Porters card and I think Barnes missed a few other cardable offenses from Irish players that might have been game changing but thats rugby, sometimes you get harshly pinged, other times you get away with things (as NZ did in the first match)

• Advertisement

I was exactly the same. I couldn't believe he got it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Anyone else's life flash in front of their eye's when Herring broke off the back of the maul. Was screaming in my head that he broke away too early. Commission him a statue up in Belfast.

Thought Keenan was sensational today. Putting out fires everywhere. JVDF is not the biggest back rower but he doesn't play like it. He has got a real case for world player of the year.

Incredible achievement from the team. I have a few worries that I think need to be addressed for the world cup but that's for another time. Be some session down in NZ tonight I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Such tripe.

Sexton didn't beat NZ on his own.

Finlay Bealham has beaten NZ 4 of the 5 times he's played them.

I agree. And Faz (I can call him Faz as was brought up in the north of England watching rugby league) is the best man to maintain that. Whatever about his technical coaching skills, his strongest asset is his man management. He understands people. Everyone who’s played for him, as captain or coach, says it. And you can see how much the players respect him.

we’ve a great team, players, coaches, from top to bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I was on here a few months back adamant that there was no point in bringing Sexton, I wanted us not to use the Sexton "crutch" and to use the opportunity to build experience and depth. I'm not sure I believed we had a chance of a series victory.

How wrong was I! Was just so great to see Sexton and POM in particular achieve this historic feat. Obviously I'd like to beat NZ (probably) in the quarter final but if we don't this still stands head and shoulders above a WC quarter final. Proud moment for Irish rugby, was in tears.

Yeah achievements mostly won as part of a team. That's like saying Tom Cleverly was a better player than Gerrard because he never won the league while Cleverly did.

Oh I see you're still bitter that someone didn't want Leinster to beat La Rochelle. Irish coach mate.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

A great friend of mine and fine rugby player went on to coach Malone after retiring. As a rugby fanatic and season ticket holder with his family at Ulster, he worked bringing rugby skills in to primary schools. He travelled all of Europe following Ulster and Ireland. He climbed Kilimanjaro with other ex-players and raised thousands for rugby charities. He carried a disabled player to the top of Slieve Donard...all 2796 feet of it. He was a true, true rugby man and the most generous of people. He used to act as a roadie for my band and would even get to sing a few songs with us. Sadly he developed cancer of the spine a few years ago and ended up in a wheelchair at the beginning of this year. Last week on Wednesday he developed Covid and sadly died this Wednesday in the Mater Hospital in Belfast. He would have been soaring above the stars today to have seen this victory. My heart is broken for him and his family. He became a grandad two weeks ago. How cruel this world can be. 😪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Huge congratulations to Ireland

Can't wait to watch it later, couldn't make it up for it live

Advertisement