Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

If it was on CNN I’d take everything you audibly digest with a large helping of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

So what?I am asking about the Covid vaccine .I couldn't give a monkeys about Monkey Pox or about some timewaster with a puny axe to grind.

The mention about Monkey Pox was just to make the subject a little clearer for the seemingly more obtuse in our midst.

Wow. What a mouthful.

Calm down would you. It’s the weekend

No offence was meant .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've not been on this thread much of late... I thought we were waiting for hospitals to get below 400 then...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Advertisement

You could have said you didn't know -or nothing at all.

Hospital numbers dropping again. Now that COVID is insanely mild I'm sure we'll always have a few hundred in hospital with COVID but not because of it.

Good ,but "insanely mild" ?

Can you show that this variant is any milder than the other variants when the factor of vaccinations is stripped out?

The UK are getting hammered. They reckon there will be record infections since the beginning of the pandemic with BA.5. Hospitalizations are rising and now at 2000 a day admissions. I really hope it peaks soon or the writing will be on the wall 😫

Well if you compare BA.5 to the BA.2 wave in Ireland there were approx 40% more in hospitals at it’s peak. So BA.5 is either milder or past infections from the other variants have created some immunity against serious illness. Unless people have been more cautious since the last wave maybe less people have been infected overall in this wave. Maybe it’s because it’s summer people being outside more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

888 in hospital now it seems, good drop in numbers

Thanks.That is pretty vague though and I would be interested in the views on this particular subject from an epidemiologist.

I know this is a discussion forum and we are the great uneducated but we should be aiming to hang our opinions at some decent approximation to those if us who are paid to be up to date on the subject.

I am interested in the "answer " as I know those with just the one ,now aging vaccination and those factors you mention are not applicable in those people's case.

Well then why did you ask on a boards forum if you’re looking for the expertise answers of an epidemiologist? You’ll find that their answers will differ between them. My answer is based on real life observations. Why do you think this wave had less impact compared to the last wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

Nonsense. COVID is not insanely mild for many people.

I currently have COVID with only a runny nose.

My mother has COVID which nearly killed her.

My Sister and Brother both only tested negative for COVID this week with both of them having been in a very bad way, ( 1 close to have been hospitalised.) And both still suffering symptoms.

All of us are vaccinated and boostered. My mother double boostered.

It is overall though. The stats confirm as much.

Looking for intelligent ,informative ,helpful and indicative replies.

I am sure epidemilogists' views will differ but I expect there is a prevailing, if shifting view on what I am asking about (and that people on boards.ie could well know what that is and where to find it)

My own personal view ,based on what I have heard on TV is that it is unclear as to whether the virulence of these latest strains are less than that of the earlier strains and the vaccinations,previous infection and other factors make it hard to see how this would apply to someone who was neither vaccinated nor previously infected.

I don't know if others have close friends or family who will not get vaccinated and yet are in a high risk group ,but that is why I am asking.

Here’s the stats of an insanely mild disease for you.

When you extrapolate the data and subtract fatalities of people with co-morbidity and VERY advanced age (90 plus) from our overall covid deaths you’ll get a number approximately 170 deaths.

Contrast that with an actual deadly virus…… (1) between the years 1348 - 1350 the bubonic plague hit Ireland claiming the lives of 14000 people……. (2) in the years 1918 and 1919 the Spanish flu claimed upwards of 23,000 peoples lives.

Assuming we didn’t have people skewing the information on those earlier viruses it presents that covid is 1.12% the deadliness of the bubonic plague and 0.72% the deadliness of Spanish flu.

Does anyone seriously think that the worlds response to the objectivity insanely mild disease was proportional to the risk ?

if so , I invite you to book a one way flight to robo-dog and robo drone big brother hellhole that is China.

Reading between the line here and give me some rope so that I understand.

Are you stating that if a disease doesn’t kill you, that it should be classified as insanely mild no matter what the symptoms are?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Objectively insanely mild". Nope, objectively nonsense strawman.

Your comparison of "insanely mild" is with bubonic plague and Spanish flu.

Yep, that's a strawman.

And even than it's a pretty bad strawman. How many people died of plague or flu versus covid in Western countries over the same period?

I can't believe someone is still reheating the same old arguments that were demolished 2 years ago.

It is a numbers game based on how contagious covid is. It is about how many people covid sends into hospital and what that means for the ability of hospitals to function to treat everyone. That is what it has always been about and why country after country responded as they did. Even the countries such as England that tried to delay as long as they could had to respond eventually.

So maybe take your own flight to China and if you can time travel back to its hospitals in Wuhan in the early stage of the pandemic and maybe you'll see some sense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

You’ll have to dictionary definition of the fallacy of strawman. I reject your inference that I committed a strawman. Why ? My reply was supporting stats of other viruses. It was related to op’s plea for stats. What better way to produce stats other than other past viruses. None

There’s no “reheating” anything from me. The authorities downright lied regarding direct covid deaths. They skewed figures to support their narrative / agenda along with scare at bed time stories from their RTE agents like Clare Byrne et al . We will never know the truth about the real numbers who contributed to actual covid patients. Our hospitals have always been busy in the winter.

A hospital numbers game you say ?

We were never close to max capacity. Of course the media were quick to scramble their hit pieces about the likes of a tiny Italian town with people of an average age of 85 and attempting to convince us all of a fate of full hospitals and dying 25 year olds on ventilators. Utter propaganda of the highest order.

I should go to wuhan and see the busy hospitals in early covid ? Would that be the same region that supplied the world with those videos of people collapsing on the street reportedly dead of covid ?

Yeah that country has an abundance of integrity, I’ll book my flight now ….

Yeah. I had it 2 weeks ago along with my entire family including the elderly relatives. All grand by day 3.

So symptoms mild ? Yes

Deaths low ? Yes

enough said

Yes, because the way to establish that something is "objectively" "insanely mild" is with the comparisons you made.

So apparently, if it's not the Black Death or Spanish Flu it is "insanely mild".

Yep, that's a strawman and you well know what you were doing.

Your figures are garbage because they leave out the real numbers. How many people was it going to send to hospital. Any discussion of covid that doesn't look at how contagious it is nonsense.

Yes, China's isn't known for its integrity. They would have covered this up if they could. They couldn't. Their hospitals got that bad. You can't refute that real event so you resort to deflection and smokescreen with nonsense about random videos on the internet. Whatever that means.

Same thing would have happened here if we hadn't reacted. England tried to avoid it and the numbers in hospital couldn't be ignored, even by Boris.

The rest of your post about "downright lies" and propaganda is bordering on conspiracy theory ranting.

It's pretty clear you have no argument when you have to resort to such obvious tactics.

Talk about scrambling , you accusing me of strawman fallacies with your string of false equivalence about my “conspiracy theory” infatuation (your definitely losing the debate when you have to resort to that BS)

Im standing by everything I said as it’s as clear as knowing water is wet and the sky is blue.

“the real numbers” etc …. “How many people was it going to send to the hospital “ (strawman much yourself ?) On that I direct you to the very respected Lancet report that asserts that lockdowns achieved pretty much SFA in the grand scheme and just pushed the fatalities down the timeline a bit ….. yeah great job their governments …. Well done ! Clap clap

Utter nonsense.

Comparing covid as "insanely mild" in comparison with Spanish flu & Bubonic plague is a textbook blatant strawman. It's laughable you trying to back out of it.

You are alleging that the scenes from Wuhan hospitals, the testimony of doctors there was made up and fabricated and cannot be trusted. Because ... apparently some random videos on the internet of unknown origin of people falling down. And that discredits the information about what was happening in Wuhan an its hospitals.

This is conspiracy theory stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

More crazy claims of strawman and conspiracy theories that I’m guilty of.

China lost their integrity with those blatantly fake videos. ANYTHING they say then on is fake. Fool me once Shame on etc etc

Anyway. I’m off to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

So it’s insanely mild for the elderly around the world because your elderly relatives were grand after 3 days?

My mother must be dossing in bed then because we were close to calling an ambulance.

I will pull her out of bed now to make me a sandwich because dalyboy thinks she’s overreacting.

Theres also 400 people in hospital for “COVID” who must be taking the piss with just the sniffles.

Here me on a Saturday evening on my couch with COVID when I should be down the packed pub.

I really am a smuck for isolating.

• Advertisement

You appear to be taking this very personally.

COVID is an insanely mild illness based on all the data that is available to us.

You couldn't possibly look at that data and say it's a severe illness.

Just because it's not mild for your mother doesn't mean it's not a mild Illness.

It's mild based on the many outcomes worldwide.

Advertisement