Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

6.6kW was my peak today. Roasting hot all day but stayed cloudy til about 3pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

7.2 was peak power here today with sustained 6.5 for few hours. Heat and humidity was a killer here today and next few days look similar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Clipping for sure, those panels were probably hopping given the heat and pretty much zero breeze in the Midlands and clear skies from around noon, 34.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Here is the last two days my 6.1kWp system, as you can see yesterday it sustained 5.5kW after the morning cloud cover went but on Saturday where we got a bit of cloud cover during mid day and it peaked out higher. Its definitely the heat and the sustained heat on the panels that drops the peak power by about 10% on a right scorcher of a day.

My max production I have achieved so far is 44.5 kWh (28th June 2022) so for the last 3 days I have done over 41+ kWh which is 93-95% of max potential still very good.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

First decent day in a while yesterday almost hitting the 50kWh, sustained at about 6.3kW with the peaks at 7.4kW which would be the max I see. Took a few hours for the cloud to lift in the morning. Inverter in the attic hit 75° so need to get a fan up and connected to a smart plug with a bit of automation set up in home assistant, could hear the inverter whirring away.

No power for about 4hrs the day previous, only generating 17.5kWh, so glad to see a bit of sun yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭steamdave

We worry about the 'hot' temperatures in this country. Just think what it must be like in mainland Europe and Australia during the summer time with their Hot temperatures. Severe clipping I would guess!

There is a very good explanation of panel efficiency on an Australian site https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/most-efficient-solar-panels

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Managed 46.3kwh the other day, the highest this year so far.

Glad to have the fans over the inverter, hit 47c max and the attic ambient temp was 32c max

It would easily go to 65c without the fans.

You can see the fans going on/off at the spikes.

Have you a picture of the fan setup?

I've just got one pointed in the general direction of the inverter as I haven't had time to get any more advanced than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Bakka

My 9.1 ground mounted system is live for the past 5 days. Made 219kwh in 5 days. Not so bad. That gives me an average of over 43.8kwh per average day.🤣 Very happy with my install and how it's working. Happy days and the sun is out and promised a good week this week.🌞

Sorry that should be 43.8kwh per average day.🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

"clipping" is probably not the right word for it. That is usually where you have (say) 7Kwp in panels and a 5Kwp inverter. Then on a bright sunny (cold) day you could be generating 7Kwp if the sun was directly overhead, your inverter "clips" the output back to it's max level (5kw in this case), so you see a curve like. Bit like this curve (specifically the plateau at midday onwards)

Panel temperature efficiency is different to clipping, but to be fair both reduce your yield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Well folks delighted to join this merry band. Have 11 days worth of solar now from Rathfarnham (south Dublin) 5.2kW array though I have seen in produce 5.5. Was really happy with 35kW yesterday. Last night was the first time I topped up the car with the excess. Still waiting for battery install so watching it all dance out the door in the meantime.

Currently looking at options to track usage across the entire house circuit (rooms and appliances), so on the hunt tonight across threads to see what others are using. Tempted by the Emporia smart monitor, hopefully might get a deal on prime day tomorrow

You might look at Home Assistant.....it will have a lot more flexibility to do other things down the line. I have mine on a Raspberry pi 4 and I am using ShellyEM's to log individual circuits in the house. Need a small bit of computer knowledge but nothing major, YouTube will teach you everything...

Thanks Eco_Mental…..Home assistant on the way, on the project list for the next 2 weeks. Any tips would be great!

@hick YouTube!!!😋.....there are so many YT channels out there to get you started, there is a bit to learn but thats half the fun. I use the ShellyEM Shelly EM - Shelly Cloud to log the circuits. I am monitoring 6 circuits (wasn't planning to do 6 but Shelly sent me an extra EM by mistake) Home Assistant picked them up straight away and go them integrated in minutes.

Lads on here run fancy automations to run fans when the inverter runs hot so you can do lots of things with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't have a photo but nothing too fancy.

One of these wall mounted on two L brackets about 10cm right above the inverter and connected to a smart plug with Home Assistant turning it on/off based on inverter temp

It took some getting used to in the field. But now when I see it working, it's like a thing of beauty. It catches the sun most of the day, and is more SE orientation. Gets a load of morning sun. 9.1 kwh. 20 JA 455kw on a ground mount. So pleased with how neat it looks

looks great, nice to have the space to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Curious, why above the inverter? Would it be better to affix underneath the inverter (giving enough clearance for the wires of course), due to the fact that your effectively fighting against the warm air upcurrents.

Note: Totally get that a fan would easily and quickly overcome any convention esp one of those 4R rack mounted jobbies (I work in a computer lab)

Just not possible for me since the inverter is about 40cm off the ground and that space is taken by cables/conduit.

I also thought about having the fan in pull vs push but works great as is. It's a triple 120mm fan setup running at 2500rpms which is strong enough.

With it being ground mounted did you choose the orientation to be SE, why not go directly south.

There are large trees which would slightly shade the panels directly facing south, and definitely with a low sun in winte,r it would affect generation of energy. Secondly the panels would have been at an angle and not visually as pleasing in my opinion. Because its in a field, it really doesn't make a huge difference as I get a lot of sun hitting it throughout the full day.

New inverter earning its crust:

Solis app seems to be offline for maintenance

how am I possibly going to look at a 20,000 times a day now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Mine is still out 😰

Rotten day yesterday, less than 11kWh.

Had to buy some juice overnight, 4kWh or so.

Today looks like a belter though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Jaysus u bought leccy??? They might send an engineer out to yer place with the unusual spike 😉

Advertisement