Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm from the coast too, never know if I should go further inland or not. It never feels that warm here especially as where I am we have a micro climate where it always seems to be freezing no matter what the temp is. I always feel sorry for the people who come out on the dart expecting a scorcher and it's just hazy and windy. God's way of cursing Ireland, give it a nice coastline but with shite weather along it even in Heat waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I agree with that! Escaped the 29c at home of a Saturday in July around four years back and headed for The Raven outside Wexford City along the coast. Bloody freezing it was at 18c - but got fairly sunburnt for my escapades!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭compsys

That's interesting. But why have you chosen the Phoenix Park?

Anyway, here's how the entire country has fared in terms of warming.

Since the year 2000, only one year has been below normal, 2010 with 9.96°C (0.47°C below its LTA). The year 2007 remains Ireland's warmest. Not 1887.

Can't think of why you randomly chose Phoenix Park out of nowhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Hairypoppins

I still can't get my head around the 40 odd they expect In England early next week,how far north in England,mind boggling ,has any one seen penny endersbys,head forecaster warning on the uk met offices you tube,astonishing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I chose Phoenix Park because it's in an area that should do well heatwise on Monday and it has by far the longest temperature record available.

June 1887 daily maxima. On the 26th, when Kilkenny hit 33.3, Phoenix Park hit 24.3. Most likely a strong sea breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Saw BBC forecast there. And there it is . The 🍐 shaped forecast for the NW tomorrow. Hv to tell the kids wer no longer going to the beach as it will be cloudy with patchy rain. See our heatwaves are the same as normal days. Except it will be 20c with the patchy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The forecast is going pear shaped full stop. I wouldn't be in the slightest one bit surprised if the max from this hot 48 hours period fails to reach 30°C anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Troll,you do it everytime on every weather event/ discussion that's set up,pack it in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I think we're being too demanding of Met Eireann here as this furnace approacheth.

They've issued a weather warming. Which will be followed rapidly by a weather cooling.

Unless you're in Sligo, in which case its simply a wetter warming and then back to the baseline:- wetter cooling. Which is sort of fierce exotic in its own (Sligo) way. Edit : ears burning @Pauldry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anyone remember a time when we just discussed the upcoming weather and didn't have climate change rants and severe pessimists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Its downright disrespectful to those who perished in the furnace of Red '87.🥵🔥🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I do. But I never remember it being 40C in London before either.

Ever in recorded history....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Another glorious start to the day, has been a brilliant warm week so far.

This month as been pretty good here with 21C recorded 12 out of the first 15 days and almost certainly again today.

Just two days of rain with 2.4mm recorded. Grass around here is yellowing, a thundery breakdown to this warm spell would top things off nicely!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sunny morning in Sligo. 13c. Air feels a bit different. Heatwavey. Munster n Leinster will be hot hot hot today mid twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Kutebride

14⁰ Meath. No air. Twas breezy yesterday morning. Off for a run. Should be fun as temps climb. Need the garden hose when I get back :)

Weather app has for mainly cloud today. I wonder.

Driving West on Monday in the forecasted furnace. Probably some kind of breakdown in forecast on my week off. Will I get a decent thundersorm on Tuesday in the West. 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

GFS is a slight upgrade countrywide, more widely 29/30s again

with 32 back in the limerick area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

20 degree isotherm clearing through most the country on Monday.

Fantastically warm sunny day in Sligo. 3 days of this will do me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

Just emerged from watching the rugby to the most gloriously calm and sunny morning outside. It really is a beautiful day on the Kildare/Wicklow border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

If we continue to get these temperatures, the upper layers of the ocean will get so warm that porbeagle sharks will come in closer, especially off the deep water off Clare and they'll be so close to the shore you could accidentally foul hook them while fishing for mackerel. Or if you're really adventurous one could chum the place and draw them in. Especially from off the rocks at Ballyreen or across to Green Island. Had one on one last summer while trying to reel in a scad All that was left of the scad was his lips on the hook.

The trigger fish will be drawn in too, along with the possibility of albacore, seen some albacore skipping along the top of the water off Loop head last year chasing mackerel I'd say.

Hazel nuts are starting to show up too, if we get a few more bouts of this weather there's going to be a bumper crop.

Already as warm nationwide as yesterday's maxes. Its 16c to 22c at 11am and yesterday was 16c to 23c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A beautiful day here in Meath plenty of sun. 23C already, I think it will get to 24 or 25C during the afternoon.

Looking forward to the really warm to hot conditions tomorrow and Monday, still might get some of Tuesday out of it.

Not everyone will enjoy the high temperatures so the good news is that it will turn cooler from Tuesday evening and next weekend is starting to look very nice with temperatures generally 20 to 24c, not overly warm but should be decent summer time weather as long as the sun shines. I have a feeling we may have one more very warm to hot spell to go at some stage within the next 3 weeks. Even if we don't the rest of July is looking relataively nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Savage day so far in North Cork 22c already! Sun is shining Ireland won the series and I’ve 8 cans of cider in the fridge ready for action!! Bring it on!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

We will all be around shortly!

23.2C here near Tralee , bits of cloud and cirrus but not affecting the sunshine. Got the outside jobs done, time to relax now 😌

Similar charts from the ECM today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful day in Dublin again, 23 degrees and sun burning through. Gotta say July has been lovely in Dublin, A lovely July two years in a row, never thought I would say that. July for several years under delivered compared to the likes of May and June. Dublin airport has only received 5mm of rain since 1st July. Been over 20 degree most days and that high of 27 (so far)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The models seem to have Meath back as a potential hotspot on Monday with 32 to 33C possible. Tomorrow we may reach 30C as well.

Meath has only reached 30C twice over the past 100 years and we could do it 2 days in a row now. A fair chance local records here will tumble.

Thank god for all those hundreds of radio segments warning about drinking water, wearing loose clothes, etc. I was just about to head out in a coat and hat!

Sunny morning but clouded over this past hour

Moderate shower pushing in

• Advertisement

Monday night looks increasingly very warm with night time values possibly going no lower than 25C in some urban areas of Dublin and other places in coastal Leinster.

Advertisement