Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sorry to hear of that great man's passing Jaco. He should like a great friend.

Condolences to you and his family

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Great game and super performance all round, with every player giving his all. The other good thing was when Faz talked about the 40 players with great experience gained by the younger players for the future, this results will stand to all these players and Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Sorry to hear of your loss @jacothelad - ur friend sounds like an amazing human being, embodying what is great about rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Whatever about which outhalf can step up and run our attacking game. We need to worry about which one can replace Sexton defensively. He absolutely lead the defense time and again today. Never giving up any ground and sometimes gaining it.

Its funny how a single play can seem to affect a player. The intercept from Carberry had his back right up. Playing with total confidence, squaring up players, inviting runners on to him. I seriously worry about his defence but if he could play with that confidence everytime, I wouldn’t worry about the attack.

The pack were immense to a man. Beirne was definitely the stand out. He is such a clever player, which creates those big moments but he’s capable of the nuts and bolts too. Himself and Ryan got through a huge amount of work today. Our scrum was very solid today. So we seem to have ironed out some of the kinks there. Was glad to see us maul effectively too. We need that option to keep defenses honest. Our backrow seems to have a really good balance at the moment. Barring injury or serious loss of form. I’d imagine it will remain the same till the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Men like him are who I thought of when I posted early on, those who were there from the ground up. May his peace be like that before a penalty in Ravenhill and his wake like the cheer after the flags go up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,117 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Still in shock at that performance. Heroes every single one. I said I wouldn't after last WC but starting to believe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think the 4th if you include Lions in 70s

Actually that was a 4 test series

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Seeing an Irish team go out against the top teams, and have to courage to go and play positive attacking rugby, take the game to them, and have the belief in our skills to grab our opportunities with both hands, is something I'll never tire of. This is something Andy Farrell has instilled in the Irish players' mindset and he deserves enormous credit for that. Previous Irish teams went out to disrupt the opposition, prevent them from playing their game and keep the ball from them, not this one. This one has the belief to go out and impose their game on the very best teams and it's beautiful to watch. Watching NZ players chasing their tails, completely at sea, as we sliced them open for the Keenan and Henshaw tries was utterly glorious. That's what they've been doing to us for over 100 years.

This IMO, is without doubt the biggest achievement in Irish rugby history. Yes it's a relatively poor ABs team, but to win a 3-test serious down there is tougher than winning a 6N and is an unbelievable achievement.

But this cannot be the peak. It must not. We must keep innovating, identifying new talent and improving for the next 15 months. This will all be forgotten about pretty quickly if we bomb at the WC again. But Andy Farrell has done things no Irish coach has done before, so there's every chance he's the first to have us deliver at a World Cup...

4 losses in the last 5. Surely Fozzy goes now?

• Advertisement

Tadhg Beirne's performances in the last two tests will go down in Irish rugby legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Also an option at 6 against bigger more abrasive type packs, like you'd be tempted to play him at 6 against SA or England. Or maybe that is the wrong attitude, and we should be looking to play our own fast mobile game and not get into arm wrestles against bigger packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

When the camera panned to POM crying on the touchline I got a lump in my throat. That was the moment of the series for me. All the disappointment he must have suffered following the Lions tour in NZ and to put in the performances he did over the series. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Who got motm, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

You mean the performance in the first half? Turns out it was just enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

And him shoving the tears back into his eyesockets with his thumbs. I've always said it, the bigger the game, the better he plays. Every team needs an auld dog in the scrap.

1994 was only a 2 test series. They've never lost a 3 game series to a NH team until today, and only twice ever before: Springboks in 1937 and Wobbilies in 1986.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bit of a pointless distinction given if it was a 3 test series the ABs couldn't have won it after going down 2-0!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if that 2 test 1994 series had been a 3 test series, France would still have won it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Watched the highlights and noticed that while Sexton was fairly unlikely to catch up with Will Jordan, he kept at it anyway and pushed him wide. Barret missed the conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Seventy two minutes, Murray stands his ground and makes the tackle that Carbery singularly failed to last week in very similar circumstances. Kudos.

If we're being brutally honest, the NZ defence for Henshaw's try was absolutely atrocious. I have absolutely no idea what Beauden is thinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The timing of Sheehan's pass for that was sensational, and Aki made a mockery of any insinuation of him just being a bish merchant. He probably could've scored if he tried but made the simple pass.

The back 3 were so good today. Defensively rock solid, and as a group, they really linked up well. Their ability to work down the short side was fantastic. Keenan's try was the type that NZ have scored forever. It was so satisfying to see us create and score like that.

Well it was an appalling decision because there was no runner in behind and that ball was only ever going to Aki. Yet he completely left him and was literally marking no one.

The performances of some of NZ's experienced players these last two weeks have been shocking. Savea was the only one who did himself justice. He should really be captain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Yup. It's the type of mistake in judgement that comes from the pressure we were putting NZ under.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And exactly the type of awful decision making we have been guilty of when under pressure and when Plan A isn't working. Usually against NZ.

I'm still in shock of how we handled ourselves when they started to turn the screw. It felt like a "Here we go again" moment. Being Irish, means the scars of that feeling will never truly wash away. I mean, I couldn't celebrate 'til that ball was out of play when Red!

Also, kudos to my FIL's telly box which unexpectedly held up throughout, from 730am. Watching that on the laptop this morning would have been awful. Having had to do that for 2016, it just washed the sense of occasion from the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Surprised there's only 19 pages on this thread.

I've nothing insightful to add - I just wanted to mark an amazing day by saying a huge and heart-felt thank you to all coaches, support staff, family, friends, former players, injured players, ex players, squad members and most of all the heroes on the pitch today for giving us all such fantastic enjoyment and absolutely all of the feels.

Lots of grown men who probably hadn't cried in years would have shed tears of joy these past Saturdays.

We salute you !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Haha, I thought he'd gone too early too. Watching it again I've no idea how he found space with 4 kiwis in, on or around him.

I'd watch it a third time but I suppose the kids need some attention...

Advertisement