Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

I can't see any credible scenario where the 6 Nations kicks out Italy.

Even if the people who run rugby are oblivious to commercial realities some times, nobody is going to try and go to sell a TV rights package when you've kicked out a country with a population of 60m or so to replace them with a country that is around 4,000 kms away from the core European markets and has a population of under 4m people.

CVC own a 14% stake in the 6N now, and there is no earthly way they'd allow that surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Italy constantly losing is not good for anyone, I actually think if ther was some consequences to losing would actually benefit them , a playoff .

I get , but dont agree that sponsors dont want Goergia , but ther is also the larger Portugal and Spanish market - just saying ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Somewhat more relevantly, Italy own a stake in the 6N.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

But a playoff right now isnt the answer. Get more games for Georgia, Romania, Russia and Spain against the top tier sides. None of these including Georgia who are best of the rest in Europe by a distance would be any better than Italy. Spain and Portugal do have a potentially good market to tap into but the quality of their rugby isnt near Italys now so it wouldnt be better for the 6 Nations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Italy is an odd one, they bring next to nothing to either the URC or the 6N but kicking them out just lessens the amount of countries playing at the top level, I don’t see Georgia actually overtaking them but then without the advantages Italy have they can’t really improve.

ultimately I think a grand plan is needed to bring the second tier of European nations along but it would take a huge leap in funding to make that go anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

They are shareholders in the 6Ns, on equal standing with everyone else. You're also posting this at time when things are genuinely looking up them, with an international standard 9 & 10, and a potential star at FB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Controversially I also believe Italy always losing actually is good for everyone. 5 game round robins are inherently unfair because some teams get 3 home games and others only get 2. It is balanced by the fact that everyone always had their third game against Italy (whether is home or away). So every country effectively has 2 material home games, 2 material away games. And one exhibition match for their seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There is near no chance of Italy being turfed out and rightly so. If any change were to happen, it would be the addition of more teams. That similarly won't happen though as the rugby calendar and/or player welfare won't allow it.

Italy need to improve but they certainly won't if the quality of their opposition is drastically dropped. They're just unfortunately caught between two stools, not really good enough for the 6N but also too good to be out of it.

The success of their U20 teams gives hope that they aren't too far away from competing. Particularly if they've finally found some quality half backs.

How many years would you be prepared to give them from now

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

until what?

they beat one of the other 6 nations teams?

Unlimited years. Took us about 80 to not be ****, bar a couple Ollie Campbell anomalies

What's your measurement of success here? Do they need to win it to stay in? Do they need to win a certain % of games?

Because whatever metric you choose, their "successor" will sure as day fail it too.

Not only that, you can't have an "Italy metric", so the metric will need to apply to all teams. So if one of the other teams has a bad year, will they be dumped out?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They got in to the 6Ns on the back of a single strong group of players in the late '90s that were winning games and competitive.

I think Italys biggest problem has been the lack of any signs of development - They had the odd good victory where they caught another team on a bad day, but they were always clearly one offs.

However , there are signs that the work started by Conor O'Shea and Stephen Aboud in terms of underage and club development might actually be starting to bear fruit.

Their 20's are a decent team this year and have beaten England twice and there are a couple of young players that have already broken though.

It remains to be seen if this is a blip or if they really have created a pipeline from underage where they are getting 2 or 3 players coming through each year..

But they should be given the chance to see.

Ther record over the past few years has been shocking , nothing against Italy ther victory against Wales was brilliant - but I dont agree with closed shop competition , the bottom team in 6 Nations should play the winners of the confernce, in a 2 legged playoff , isnt that what competition is about, ther has to be consequences, or should be.

But the sides coming up wouldnt be any better and neither Georgia or Italy would improve by moving between european nations cup and 6 nations every 2nd year

the consequences for ireland or any of others not being in 6 nations for even 1 year would be dire for the sport considering the loss of income. more has to be done to help develop the other countries in europe but right now having a relegation spot in 6 nations isnt the solution to anything

I get the argument that there's no jeopardy but introducing jeopardy won't change a thing. Having two teams perpetually rotate in and out is only going to weaken Italy further. I fully agree that the improvements made by Italy are either glacial or non-existent depending on the year but they'll only get worse if you take away facing 6N sides every second year.

The other side of it is the commercial aspect. Six Nations will never ever risk one of its members not qualifying for its competition. The impact (albeit unlikely) of an England or France not being in the competition is unfathomable commercially. And it was only 9 years ago that France came last in the Six Nations. A change ain't gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We will be doing what they did for the U20's 6 Nations Summer Series soon with the seniors. SA and Georgia will join, and we'll have two pools of 4, and then a crossover round to determine final placing. 4 rounds is short though, and we'll lose the triple crown competition. It'll be good overall though I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

it could be made to work and give every team 5 games. Top 2 from each group go into a semi and then a final/3rd place playoff. And bottom 2 go into their own comp.

So each team gets 3 group games, a semi and then another game to determine final positioning. You'd obviously lose the triple crown but would maintain the 5 games.

How to maintain sides getting the home games would be an issue as well. unions base their income on 2/3 home games a year. determining who gets home/away for semis and spread of income is an issue with this format.

Logistics of selling tickets etc would be an issue with this as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

A conference system would get over the home/away issue, just have two pools of 4 for two separate round robins and add in two crossover matches.

So, example,

Conference 1: SA, Fra, Sco, Geo

Conference 2: Eng, Ire, Wal, Ita

Round 1, In-conference, 1 v 4, 2 v 3

Round 2, Cross-conference, 1 v 3, 2 v 4

Round 3, In-conference, 1 v 3, 2 v 4

Round 4, Cross-conference, 1 v 2, 3 v 4

Round 5, In-conference, 1 v 2, 3 v 4

Keep same teams for 2 years, and reverse the home and away the send year and play the other 2 teams in the cross conference matches in the second year.

after 2 years can jumble up the teams again.

if want to keep the triple crown could put Eng Ire Sco Wal into one conference.

No source just observing the pattern set by the U20 and making a prediction

We wont because the 2 are incomparable in pretty much everything. far easier to make changes to 20s when changes to senior 6 Nations would/could have detrimental consequences to health of the unions of the countries involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, it's hard to see any version of events in which IRFU swap a game against England for a game against Georgia

But in the example above that's not going to happen.

It's France and Scotland or South Africa and Georgia.

There's not much difference in those pairings.

Could even mix it so it's France and Georgia or South Africa and Scotland if wanting to minimise travel.

Or simply swap Italy and Georgia in the pools, or England and South Africa either.

Anyway, if it brings in more money having 8 teams instead of 6 and the South Africans will surely mean more money, then I don't see anyone turning down extra money.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

But why would IRFU want to give up on the thousands and thousands of Scots who travel over for games compared to the tiny number of Georgians who would come to games here. We have people complaining about prices of tickets. you wouldnt expect 6 Nations tickets for a Georgian game to be at the same price as the others.

There is a huge difference between Scotland and Georgia. If you are losing annual games against your traditional rivals and not guaranteeing fixtures every year and repllacing them with games against Georgia etc then you are not going to get that much extra money if any. It doesnt make sense to do it

Over 2 years you'd play Scotland once and Georgia once.

But you'd also now play South Africa.

Plus whatever the ticket sales would be down, the TV deal would surely make up for.

And as posted above already, if the British and Irish want their own conference they could keep those 4 together, and put SA, Fra, Ita and Geo into the other conference.

Personally I wouldn't care if we skipped playing one of the British teams every second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I thought this 20s tournament was just a placeholder for the covid cancelled 20s World Cup rather than a conscious change of direction?

• Advertisement

The name they gave to the tournament involving the 6 nations teams plus Georgia and South Africa was the U20 Six Nations Summer Series.

They ran off a separate competition called the Oceania Rugby U20 Championship for NZ, Aus, Arg and Fiji too.

That is where the split is at the senior level at the moment, it's more than a coincidence, it's where rugby is headed, given the SA teams are now in the URC and the European Cup, I think it's a fair expectation they will join the 6 Nations soon, and when they do we will take on an 8th team to balance it up and Georgia are in pole position at the moment.

If South Africa were to join what evidence is there that they would add a second to balance things at an even number? Georgia have won every title since 2006 bar 2 in the european nations cup and theyve played the 6 nations sides feck all times in that time especially out of games in world cup group stages. So what gives you the idea the 6 Nations have any interest in adding them to their main earner of the year?

As said already very easy to add a team to play 20s. The world cup at 20s has teams playing 5 games in 17/18 days. There is nothing to suggest the 6 nations are going to change anything from their conservative nature and add Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Theres no way Georgia will be joining the senior 6N any time soon. They're too poor a team, too geographically far away, and too poor/low population to add much financially.

The Saffers are a completely different beast. Their clubs are already playing in the URC and will be in the Champions Cup next year, they're far away but in our time zone, they bring a massive financial/TV viewers benefit, and they're a top tier side that will sell out home games for every country and increase the standard of the 6N. Rumours are they'll be joining in either 2024 or 2025.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/only-logical-step-south-african-journalist-predicts-when-the-springboks-will-join-six-nations/

Far more likely Spain or Portugal would join before Georgia.

South Africa are not joining the 6N anytime soon. They are committed to the Rugby Championship, never mind the massive logistical challenges that would come from trying to add an extra team in to the competition.

"South Africa have told the southern hemisphere’s governing body they are exploring their option of joining the Six Nations after 2025 as plans for a major overhaul of the global calendar gather pace."

"committed to the Rugby Championship" isn't quite how I'd describe that.

• Advertisement

On Wednesday Sanzaar revealed how the South Africa union had committed to the Rugby Championship until 2025 – in line with broadcast arrangements. That signals a significant sea change, however, because less than 18 months ago, a similar commitment was made until 2030.

Well that's confusing. I remember the announcement that they were committed to 2030.

Nonetheless, I still don't see it happening (and I hope it doesn't).

With their club teams already playing here in the URC & ERCC its the only logical/practical outcome though really. Nevermind the huge additional timezone and financial considerations (for both SARU and the existing 6N countries) that also support the move. Its more a matter of 'when' than 'if' at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I saw one suggestion somewhere that they could play in the 6N and the Tri-Nations at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, that's having their cake and eating it, they can f off tbh. There is no reason we should pander to SA by providing them 11 competitive tier 1 and highly commercially valuable fixtures per year while everyone else only gets 5 / 6.

6N and RC would be impractical I think and ultimately not allowed by WR.

I appreciate the "logic" that their club teams are here but a) I'm not sure they would want to give up their annual matches with Aus and NZ and b) I think it would be awful for the sport and hope it doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It will be brought to a head with the SA teams entering European competition and losing those 8 bye weeks they have at present. I mean, if you’re a Springbok international, when do you get a holiday now with a theoretical twelve month season?

I know they’ll be game managed, and given holidays by the SARU most likely during the 6N window, but it won’t be sustainable; in a non-RWC season, Springbok players will be expected to play through the URC play offs, then the July series, then the Rugby Championship, then the November series, and then the Heineken Cup and again when do they get holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wow Chile have really improved - is that U.S. gone from WC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

USA drop into a final playoff tournament. They'll met Kenya, Portugal, and losers of Hong Kong and Tonga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Portugal will give them a tough time - assume only one qualifier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Just the one, winner goes into the Wales, Australia group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The repechage competition is for the last spot. Presuming Tonga beat Hong Kong (seeing HK in the repechage), Portugal look like the most likely team to emerge from that group of teams - they nearly took a scalp off Italy a few weeks ago and are a well organised unit.

US rugby like Canada seems to be hurtling backwards. One would have thought the new pro league and the pool of talent would have seen them kick-on, it's not happening though.

Repechage tournament is in November in Aix en Provence I believe.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And you'll still have idiots who'll say the game has gone too soft, focussing too much on uber slo-mo replay to excuse high, head-contacted tackles.

Absolutely horrible that these players have been fucked over by this game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement