Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,450 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Plenty of creches. I'm sure plenty are already qualified. I don't think they are coming from a jungle. They had some form of civilization over there before the Russians started bombing the sh1te out of them.

And sure even if not they can spend 12 months getting qualified at their leisure while swanning around on your free 200 big ones a week. Plenty of time in between abandoning brand new buggies at bus stops and bringing the Ferrari out for a spin. Although, spending their way through those 200 fine Euros will probably take up most of their waking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Wait the whole crux of you last argument delt with no documentation. How do we find out if they are Qualified now. And they tend to be fully staffed. You would have to setup your own tbh.

Man you are clutching at straws. Focus on improving yourself rather than thinking of ways to keep others down. Everyone can improve regardless of where they are now. Whether you are at the top or the bottom, you can be better tomorrow. Don't be punching down

How am I punching down. You said plenty are Qualified. Not me. Maybe people should think about that when saying There are Irish People contributing little in their free gaffs. And that Irish people would not live in a Tent or Prefab. Sweeping Generalisations are punching down IMOP.

Whatever. I am sure they have the concept of creches in Ukraine and I am sure out of all of the women coming here that plenty are qualified child minders.

Stop trying to think of excuses to hide whatever your real motivation is. You're welcome to live in a tent if you want.

• Advertisement

Well I would have no Idea of their Qualifications. Not being an EU country would not be the same. No excuses, I'm not the one advocating a 2 tier system. Where I would have to get a Relevant Qualification to work in a field others may not have to or be up to the same standard yet able to work. How are we Garda vetting people to work with Children. My partner has had to go back 5 times on the Garda vetting system atm it's very specific about address. The problem is one of our old addresses no longer exists turned into apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

The 3.5 billion to be shared across the EU is a first tranche budget total. 10 billion was mentioned as an initial EU budget of which was to be shared across members. More money is being asked for by member states.

We will see who gets to draw down on that. Even if we do As a net contributor it's our money were getting back. Were not going to be given the 3bn from the budget put aside. And have no idea what's already been spent. You imagine Ireland rocking up on the 10bn. yeah lads we want 3bn back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's not open to the public; it was defunct before and has been repurposed for the refugees. I'm simply relaying the message from a good friend about her walks on the beach - actually, I'm not sure that the folks she runs into have zero English, they've probably got a little by now.

I do think you're sounding a bit envious there though. Do you think I'm being dishonest? If you'd like, in a few days I can take a photo with the name of the hotel obscured showing the bikes and swing set.

I was walking along the blue way outside Clonmel last Sunday when a couple with a big shaggy dog approached coming the opposite direction. My sister and I both ohhd and ahhhd over the dog. You don’t need a common language to communicate sometimes🤣

Some don’t want to see refugees being happy, despite their living conditions and the horrors that they left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The thing is the vast majority of people have no idea what is going on.

In September parents who have been trying for years to get their kids into a school will be hearing about Ukrainians in the school.

Students and parents of students when college kids can't get any accommodation close to college.

December when the health service crashes due to Covid where last year the unvaccinated were to blame and now we have invited huge numbers of people from a country who had a very low vaccine uptake.

The government are in huge trouble and they seem totally unaware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I am envious, sounds idyllic, I lived in west kerry, actually had a Restaurant in Dingle for a number of years and know the County very, very well, I can even Hazzard a Guess as to what Establishment your referring to.

I was however Struck by the "Parking Lot", all the goodies being dropped in, and thought I must book a weekend there, but of course I was being facetious, knowing full well it wasn't opened to the Public or Tourists for that matter.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I'm actually thrilled to hear all these contrasting stories of Happiness and contentment , it throws a light on those Refugees, not so fortunate , contented and living in idyllic surroundings, you know the ones that don't get all these lucky bags, Goodies a friendly smiles from the locals.

What they get is contempt from the very communities who trip over themselves trying to out do each other, showering sanctimony, Fluffyness , virtue signalling in one very specific direction., whilst also seemingly ignoring the plight of those actually living in their communities for decades.

It's called Hypocrisy and it's disgusting.

So thank you for highlighting the contrast in how a certain cohort of Refugee is treated , very my helpful indeed .

People treat others differently for a variety of complex reasons. Someone on your street whose house burns down for example. You are more likely to go out of your way and go the extra mile to help them in any way you can than you would for a traveller, a registered sex offender or a homeless person. All should be treated equally in theory but in real life nobody behaves like that.

This may have been true earlier on in this Debacle because of spin and deflection, this is certainly not the case now and I suspect the vast majority of the Population, now fully aware of exactly whats going on and its this and negative press that has Government Panicked , not mind you that they care less about what people in Ireland think, more those nasty international media organisations reporting on this farce.

But I agree whole heartedly re your sentiments about school placements. I live in a very small community with a lot of children due to start school in September, I'm not a parent but know many who are Livid as places are now in doubt due to the accomodation of Ukrainian children. This is not the children's fault of course , Government have no intention of supplying extra class space, Teachers and literally expect schools and parents to suck it up , this will soon become subject of very heated debate.

I'm not of course referring to sex offenders so leave that out .

I'm referring to the vunerable, those needing company, perhaps a lift to hospital appointments (which I do) and more importantly the contrast in approach to a certain refugee cohort and others.

Most people understand exactly what local communities do in times of crisis, I'm referring to the hidden difficulties in communities and the populist bandwagon we're seeing across the nation albeit starting to wane somewhat .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭jackboy

This local support is temporary and will stop at some stage, which will leave the Ukrainians confused and resentful.

If we get the predicted massive influx of refugees from other parts of the world this winter then the virtual signalling will move on to the new refugees. A lot of the government supports for the Ukrainians will also stop at this stage and be transferred to the new groups. It’s what you get when migration is unplanned and disorganised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭mattser

100%. The perma whingers would rather sit on their butts venting into their keyboards 24/7. Even in this weather.

You are correct in many respects apart from one, virtue signalling will not move on to other refugees, it's never existed before in Ireland, its essentially a new Phenomenon and squarely directed at one specific cohort or Refugee and Ironically it's that Virtue signalling nonsense that has in many respects actually highlighted the Inequality rampant in Ireland and elsewhere and I might add , not just when it comes to "other' refugees, but our own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Hamachi

What people like you fail to understand is that many people don’t particularly care if refugees are happy or not. We accept that the money we put into the exchequer will be used to provide sanctuary to those who genuinely need it. However, as taxpayers there is an expectation that rigor is applied to ensure that numbers arriving do not overwhelm public services, to the detriment of Irish people. That rigor is clearly not in place right now.

It’s easy for an OAP to wax lyrical about their benevolence towards refugees. However, I can assure you that those of us in our 30s and 40s, trying to secure places in decent schools for our children, and to ensure that our elderly parents have access to adequate healthcare, aren’t particularly thrilled about this unfettered influx.

Whilst your ‘work’ with refugees gets you out of the house and gives you something to do with your time, those of us who are decades younger, worry if our children’s education is being compromised, when half their classmates scarcely speak English. We also worry about the type of society they will inherit due to seismic demographic changes that are happening under our very feet. I make no apologies for the fact that my family is my priority above all else.

The next time you’re out taking your constitutional and playing with strangers dogs, perhaps you could spare a thought for younger Irish families, who will be legitimately impacted by this current fiasco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭zell12

'More than 40,000 Ukrainians have arrived in Ireland since February. There has also been an increase in International Protection applicants from other countries to Ireland, with 7,080 applicants up to July 13. There were 2,648 applicants in all of 2021.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

40,000 😮. Surely most of these have gone home now as vast areas of Ukraine haven't even seen as much as a bullet fly never mind a full scale war.

Not at all , trying to get definitive numbers on those who've return home "Fully " as opposed to weekend jollys almost impossible to get. At a guess very, very, very few have return to Ukraine Fully, nor are many likely to do so, why would they, they've everything they need and more in Ireland 😏

Well Dempo, I can guarantee that most of the posters on here, who are not on the dole themselves for example, don't have a strong history of creating threads or contributing to threads with their concerns about how those on the dole aren't getting enough. They suddenly get all concerned though when they need an excuse to give out about Ukrainians.

They can feel free to prove me wrong! Maybe one or two did, but the vast majority of them won't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why would you return with what’s on offer here? Ukraine was bankrupt even before the war. Desperately poorly ran country for decades. Suddenly that’s all our responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In all fairness they dont have everything they need ,they need family and stability and their own familiar surroundings . The family we help are very comfortable in a house etc . They are incredibly grateful and feel safe but long for home , family and and their jobs . They would go back in a heartbeat if their area was safe .

I'm not entirely sure what your referring to "Those who are concerned about those who don't get enough on SW" , I don't recall any poster on this thread having such concerns albeit given the current cost of living crisis perhaps a new Thread could be considered.

There's certainly been numerous posts re the ease of how Government could lash out FULL SW entitlements , The normal criteria being waived, Ignored , the Lack of verification going on , The lashing out of PPS numbers, unnecessarily, the Eligibility criteria put in front of Normal SW recipients, ignored for Ukrainian refugees but not other refugees, the ability to retain FULL payments whilst getting free food and Board , Others have to make do, pay their rents, mortgages and heavens above pay for food and bills , the ease of which Ukrainian Refugees can head off back home willy nilly with no travel restrictions, Normal Jobseekers certainly can not .

Shall I continue............🤔

People have concerns about the free for all and inequality in terms of how they are treated and a blatant discriminatory TWO TIER SUPPORTS SYSTEM , not that maybe one cohort gets more than another, don't conflate the two .

Taking what's back in Ukraine aside for a moment.

They actually have more than enough being offered here., what possibly more could be offered , Car Hire , Free Cinema tickets 🤔

They had choices, actually many did make choices and were not satisfied with what was on offer in other host countries and heard about all the Goodies on offer in Ireland.

There is of course a majority of Genuine Refugees and no right thinking person objects to reasonable levels of support , but I'm afraid there's a large cohort taking the absolute micky.

But aside from this , I reiterate in the vast majority of cases we actually don't know who's a genuine refugee or Not , we actually know Nothing of the people in reality being permitted access and wether people can accept it or not , it's out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes i agree they have more than enough here and many are incredibly grateful

They are not the ones on FB but are simply getting on and trying their best to settle into a strange life. They are not whining or pleading etc but understand that they are safe and cared for

The two kids in the family we look after are amazing , trying their best to integrate into life but yearning for their school , their friends , their sport clubs etc . One lad when brought to school here was incredibly grateful and happy but in his eyes I could see a longing for the familiarity of his school at home . Totally understandable and we must realise how difficult this is for families

I wish you could meet the family we care for and hear their anguish and their story

• Advertisement

It's a smart move to hold onto those properties to assess if they can be repurposed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement