Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful morning in Dublin, sun has just come out and 21 degrees already. Should be a lovely one today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

High cloud in West cork with some blue sky patches appearing along with hazy sun. About 20/21 already!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Mother said to me this morning that this hot weather will be terrible for so many people and that she is glad that we are in Donegal where it will be cooler and I reminded her that last year we had 6 consecutive days of high temperatures in Donegal, including over 30°C and no one died and also that she enjoyed our 10 day trip to Crete in 2019 when every day was 30° to 33°.

The media has a lot to answer for when it comes to hype. But also Met Eireann need to cop on also. Some of their meteorologists are more concerned about their TV persona and celebrity status than actually focusing on the weather. They need to start nipping the hype in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

20 degrees in Ashford earlier at 8am and perfect! In Wicklow town now and also perfect if a few degrees cooler as there is a slight cooling breeze but it’s really pleasant. Other half is in East Mayo so waiting for him to give me a weather update! He will say it’s toast either way haha! I have to work today, tomorrow and Tuesday in an air conditioned environment so I am hoping when I walk out this evening I will get that “getting off the plane” blast of heat feeling a good few of us know and love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep can’t wait for that feeing later. Also working Monday and Tuesday but from home so will take a lot more breaks than usual. Gotta make the most of this heat and enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

How do you know that nobody died? Excessive heat contributes to many deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kilkenny36

I agree completely. It's two days of hot weather and every year we have to be reminded to wear a hat. Drink water. Keeps pets out of the heat. It would be good if we could go back to the day of a half hour of news a day.

If they were predicting 30+ for a few weeks id say something. Get out and enjoy it if you like heat. Stay in if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

19deg in carrigaline but the cloud already showing up. Thinner cloud, may burn off .. but experience last while would suggest not.

Advantage .. keeps the temps down. Not complaining at all ..

I am however fascinated by the amount of cloud this summer. Usually we would get decent batches of clear blue skies, not this year though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Breeze has really picked up in Kildare now and with good sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Starting to feel like a very hot day in Galway. It's sunny and hot out there already.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Steady climb in temperatures here in Kerry near the coast, 22.4C currently. Breeze rising too .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kids are out in the paddling pool since 9am!

Great times :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just tipped 24 here in Longford

Lovely morning here but cloud is going to be an issue for many.

As I said yesterday, if we don't see temperatures today of about 28°C or higher, then we can forget about 31°or 32° tomorrow. Today's heat is a factor in getting those high temps tomorrow and if it fails to materialise today, no records will fall tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Was hot (22/23c on car thermometer) and clear in Cork city from 9am to 10am but clouded over a lot since and cooler

No one died in Ireland in 2021 because of a few nice warm days. This is not somewhere like France where they have days of 40°C plus weather and elderly people do die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looking over the ocean and see blue sky pushing in, hopefully will stay that way. Temp slowly rising in West Cork. When the sun is out, it's v hot so don't forget the suncream!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Beautiful morning here in Meath, currently 23C and it only 11am. Get out and enjoy this brief but fantastic spell of warm to hot weather. The Atlantic flow will be back from Wednesday so make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

25 degrees at Phoenix park at 11am!

Perfect morning here in Cork, was in the city centre at 9.30, gorgeous in the shade, hot outside now but perfect under the umbrella or inside with all doors and windows open, long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

What is the highest temperature ever recorded at any official Dublin station?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

31.0C Glasnevin 2nd August 1990

31.0C Casement 19th July 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

@sryanbruen Thank you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Phoenix Park reporting 25C on Met Eireann. I think it's safe to say it's going to reach at least 28C there today. Majority of our mostly coastal weather stations reaching 21 to 23C.

Impressive considering the hot upper air temperatures haven't even reached Ireland yet. We're currently on around 12 to 15C at 850hpa, these will rise to around 17 or 18C by this evening and between 21 and 23C tomorrow. I didn't think it was possible to get upper air values near mid twenties for Ireland but here we are, a bit like unchartered territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Kutebride

24⁰ Meath. Warm and sunny.

Noted the dust on the car windscreen this morning, as mentioned in an above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Overcast in Firhouse Dublin 24.

But beautifully warm..... about 24 already.

Bring on 30 tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If anybody would like to have a read about the notable hot day for Dublin on 2nd August 1990 and see how it became as warm as it did, Met É have an article on it in the August 1990 bulletin on pages 10/11.

https://cli.fusio.net/cli/bulletin/monsums/clim-1990-Aug.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

Hazy sunshine and 25°c here in SCD. Back from a walk and sweating buckets. Will need a lighter t shirt 😅.

Definitely going to cherish this short hot spell. Already want another one for late July or sometime in August. We’ll see.

25C now here at Dunshaughlin, a jump of 2C in the past 20 minutes.

However it is mostly cloudy and breezy, this is definitely limiting what could be an even hotter day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Gonzo I reckon your location could do very well next few days! I think phoenix park station will be one to watch next few days too. 25 degrees in Dublin now

Advertisement