Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

App saying 22,mostly cloudy here now in Carrigaline Co Cork. High thin cloud cover in parts, lower thicker cloud arriving slowly. In last hour or so a very gusty breeze has arrived. Warm enough .. pleasant .. could do w/o the gusty breeze though.

Breeze most likely off the coast as we are very near to same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Dry , often frosty winter overall. Not too much in the way of snow but one of the colder winters of recent times and coldest winter of the 90s. Xmas was a very seasonal frosty one.

The heat that summer at least wasn't too oppressive more of a dry heat then the humid type.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Whilst very warm here in South West Dublin there's an awful lot of high cloud thick cloud even in the sky spoiling it ,I wonder will it clear off at all

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

Very hot in coastal Mayo all morning, fair seabreeze has come up now and some high cloud which should moderate temps here, btw high temps and high cloud cover is a perfect combo for toddlers, they can enjoy being outside without worrying about sunburn!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just back to Greystones from Carrickmines. Was 27c there (on car thermo). 20.4c here with a strong breeze. Got goosebumps when I went out to the back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

I wasn't happy with my lidl weather station, it was reading too high temps,,,, so I bought another 2, have them on test now, same original outside sensor feeding them all, just picking the most accurate indoor one first then will work on te outside sensor choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Calculator123

My personal weather station was 27.3 at 1pm. Located in back garden, about 2.5m high. Close to garage roof, so does over read due to that radiated heat when sunny but indicative to what those sitting on their patios will be feeling.

10 km from Phoenix Park (27c) and 8km (from Casement (26c).

Currently 27.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭snowgal

Glorious day near trims. About 25° at the moment with the Sun coming in and out every few minutes which is perfect. Hopefully it stays that way today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Disappointing day really given the potential, a decent summers day and that’s it really, nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hazy sunshine in southern Laois, breeze again today though it's starting to edge back below 10mph.

Getting closer to 25c also. Don't think today is going to get within an asses roar of 30c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Outside temp all in agreement but inside differs?

Edit, now I see same outside sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The Churchtown station looked like it was going smash through 30C earlier during a sunny break. Topped out at 29.6C at 12:35. Now 27.0C with high cloud about. Sunshine will be key for any records to be broken tomorrow.

Met office YouTube forecast showed cloud bubbling up tomorrow over a good chunk of Leinster and Munster. That could temper the chances of the record. Looks sunniest across Ulster and Connacht after the early morning cloud burns away. They even mention medium and high level cloud holding temperatures back a bit in places over there so not just us. They still expect 38 39c tomorrow and 40c Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I agree. I think it's time for even the most optimistic amongst us to concede that it is unlikely any records will fall tomorrow. While that was never a given, talk of 31° and 32° is going to look very odd when we peak at around 28° or 29° tomorrow. There is simply to much cloud about and for temps in Ireland to hit 30° or higher, we need several days of heat buildup with temps into the high 20s. Yesterday, we barely scraped 26° in just one or two locations.

It's lovely to have good weather but as for breaking the 33.3°C record. Is it actually achievable? Is that record truly accurate?

Jersey met office forecasting 38c tomorrow, I think the all time record is 33c.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Agreed, I live in Belgium and I had this notion when I moved here that temperatures would be roughly the same as Ireland in the summer being on the same latitude, and the place doesn't exactly look or feel very Mediterranean. But the summers are generally much hotter, you can expect mid-twenties most of the time and the thirties are fairly regularly reached as well. It's looking like pushing past 40 tomorrow in many places.

A lot of that heat seems to filter through to England and Wales but it's really a rarity in Ireland. So it's great when it is reached!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Temperature at local AWS reading at 25.6 but it's quite breezy so feels a couple of degrees cooler.

It was much warmer for a few days in a row last summer and still didn't break 30C so don't know that we'll see it tomorrow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Banarol

25.0 Mid tipperary but it doesn't feel like it due to a very strong breeze. A mixture of cloud and hazy sunshine. Its all very meh here so far

Far south fairing best for sunshine

• Advertisement

So after mixing and picking the content of 3 boxes, this is the most likely readings I can get from the Lidl weather station.

Buy with caution I still recon temperature in and out are reading high, but much better than before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The forecast for today was never meant to be unbroken sunshine with gin blue skies. All the models showed hazy conditions with some cloudy spots. Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit clearer.

Phoenix Park now at 28C, so the models are performing well with the temperatures. 27C currently in Dunshaughlin and the sun is a little bit less hazy.

2 boxes going back for refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Currently on South Coast since morning, has been cool on shore breeze from sea temperatures and now suddenly gone much warmer, think that hotter upper air has just arrived. Very pleasant and getting rather warm indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Clouded over completely now in west mayo with a stiff cold sea breeze blowing...had to go inside.

hopefully we can scrape tomorrow out this sorry state of a potential fine spell, which will only serve as a tease.

before its back to 14 degrees and slate grey skies from tuesday onwards for another few weeks.

Even with exceptional synotics we just get trash. its unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

That made me laugh sorry it shouldn’t but 14 degrees and the grey slate skies is classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Dissapointing and nothing special

sounds like Dublin too, only more depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Why are you continuously doubting the 33.3°C record in Kilkenny. There was also 33.3°C recorded in Markree in 1851. The 33.5°C record in Dublin was disregarded as it wasn't established if it was recorded in a Stevensons' Screen - so clearly there has been QC applied to the historical records.

Do you equally doubt the -19.1c record at Markree just six years before the Kilkenny record? Or is it just the heat record that irks you?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

Quite a lot cloudier and starting to feel very cool with that breeze on the West coast, just a very normal day here now, surprising it's gone so cool. It was warmer at 9am this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Phoenix 28.3C at 14:30

Advertisement