Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Times says the number is approaching 50,000

As the number of people coming from Ukraine approaches 50,000, the government is struggling to find suitable accommodation “It’s serious now,” said one government source. “This is going to be the big issue in August.”

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Is there something in the EU Temporary Protection Directive that prohibits a EU member state from applying a cap on the number of refugees admitted? I can only assume there is as otherwise common sense would dictate at this stage that to continue with this influx is in the best interest of no one. If there is some legally binding clause, I wish MM, LV et al. would formally announce it. In the absence of such an announcement, the actions of our political leaders can only be seen as those of an idiot!

I know MM and his buddies are fond of the auld virtue signalling but I'd be hesitant in labeling him an idiot. Inept certainly but not mentally deficient.

Likewise, when it comes to the financial supports, are they obliged to coincide with typical SW payments for those on Jobseekers and the likes? If they're not and a reduced payment could be applied, then I might just have to reassess that 'idiot' labeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I don't expect to see such Joyous photo OP'S on Monday at Gormanstown Tent City.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

We are on course for 8000 Ukrainians n asylum seekers coming here for the month of July. There will be family reunifications on top of that as well as those that visa overstayers, illegals etc.

Do you feel that number is sustainable? Or coz the weather is nice this week will it all be grand?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Hamachi

If there's one conclusion 'folks' can draw from reading threads on this forum, is that anything posited as a 'smart move' by you, most assuredly is not in the best interests of Irish people.

• Advertisement

It's directive drawn up 21 years ago at a different time and apart from its shockingly bad construct, some EU states already rolling back , Lativa for example.

Whilst technically EU law and Leo and MM very quick to jump on the "We cannot Cap" interpretation, they are equally obliged to tell the Truth and accept reality and also have a Duty of care ,

Both seem utterly determined to ignore all and any responsibilities. The situation has now gone way beyond Humanitarian Virtue Signalling, there is and has been NO ROOM AT THE INN, and their grandstanding is now boarding on Negligence.

As others have pointed out , it was all well and good other countries adhering to this EU directive because their SW systems were nowhere near as Generous , indeed few other EU Members even touched, offering accommodation, instead offering incentives to Hosts families, I'd also be very doubtful the equivalent of PPS numbers were thrown out like confetti. Our government literally threw the kitchen sink at this all the while knowing there was little or no accommodation available, what's worse is the misrepresentation from them that they had the infrastructure and accommodation to cope, it's been porkies from the outset. I'm actually convinced they didn't even read the absurd directive and fully understand what it meant.

Despite the warnings , Despite the obvious not only are they digging their heals in, in order to deflect any criticism at home and abroad , they are actually continuing with this charade. It's simply extraordinary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I would certainly not be one of those plastic libertarians who have a rant at "doleheads". Quite the opposite. I am fully behind the idea of SW in a functional and fair society and would even increase it in some areas. The implementation of it is my only issue.

However the Ukrainian situation is very different and shouldnt be conflated. In my humble I reckon the government went the whole "give them what Irish people get on SW" route because it was simply easier to do. Rather than develop a custom setup for Ukrainians they just added them to the exisitng pile. Without much in the way of short, mid or longterm thought involved.

Indeed. To the degree of farce at times.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Are they not supposed to be going home to Ukraine?

Why would they need permanent houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Surely a load of businesses are going to go under especially restaurants and businesses in tourist towns.

Irish people with inflation and the increased cost of living are going to be struggling especially heading into winter and Ukrainians are getting free meals.

People will struggle to pay mortgages or rent so maybe that will free up some more houses to put Ukrainians in.

• Advertisement

There will be no shifting the overwhelming majority of them. When the time comes. We're stuck with them now. Not sure how people can't get their head around that fact.

Tbh I'm more concerned about the gang leaving the UK due to the new Rwanda policy. And heading over here to us bunch of softies.

Most of the Ukrainians will at least try to assimilate and contribute. The other lot are young uneducated men from a very different culture. The Govt really needs to wake up and push them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Think what? That they won't go back or that they will assimilate?

As they are both related though it's anecdotal mainly. I work with quite a lot if Ukrainians who have lived here for years. Almost no one decided to go back even pre war.

They are in the main an educated agreeable group of people though I do think we should have capped the number at 30k. And even now we need to cap immistely. Anyone not already booked a flight or en route here shouldn't be allowed entry.

Even the US imposed a cap on the number they agreed to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

That they will try assimilate and contribute

Some will of course, but those coming in visas etc would have had to contribute. Its nothing against Ukranians, but I think an open door policy was always likely to bring those with less get up and go, especially given the level of money on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So we have received more Ukrainian people then the number of people that live in Limerick city.

by the end of the year that number might eclipse Limerick county.

this won’t end well..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We are thousands of kilometres from Russia, a vastly superior quality of life healthcare etc. social welfare weekly, they’ll be given fee housing in addition, probably Malahide or Portmarnock for some…. So… you’d be nuts to leave… those who want to work can by virtue of the fact that employers love them as they work for less.

Yes I can't disagree with that viewpoint to be fair.

Eh? What are you on about, Limerick city has a population of 95k,we've taken in, what, 40k,that's not even half.

These are basic facts so I'm astounded you managed to get them so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭pauly58

How are there people getting registered with GP's ? My son moved in with his girlfriend & can't find a GP who will take him on, he doesn't have a medical card either. My son has to come back to West Cork to our GP where he has been all his life. Something going on here I feel.

Very few are actually being registered by GP'S, most attending Hospital A&E departments ,some primary care centres I believe. In essence, few GP'S have capacity and registering a MC holder at a GP surgery very complex,

HSE trying to refer Ukrainian Refugees to GP'S but its not worked as they planned . Its not that GP'S don't want to assist, they've literally no capacity and there's a chronic shortage of GP'S, it's even worse with Dentists.

I'm aware of a P/T clinic within a major hospital set up to service a catchment area for Ukrainian Refugees, to eliviate pressure on an already crowded A&E department, it operates on an appointment basis 3 days a week , can't be sure if this happening around the country, but certainly very few GP'S seeing Ukrainian Refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Ukrainians getting a prime time slot on the Sunday game. First add i see then is donate to Ukraine.

Leave it out RTE. Your drowning in your own virtue.

As for Kilkenny man giving them a free House. Same

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Surely public opinion has shifted now that people are camping at the airport. Speaking to a good friend of mine, non EU citizen resident in Ireland 20 years yesterday who thinks the government should only look after refugees we have capacity for and stop over promising. So not just a 'backward/racist' view point

Sadly when u give liberals LG, they come for the GBT and the cycle repeats.

Scene 1. they had a Ukrainian family on with Kilkenny club tops, sad music plays, local man says they made our flags for the match, music crescendos.

Scenes 2

Kid says he loves hurling, kid looks like his first time on a pitch, sad music plays again, local man says his mother died, and "sur de house would of been empty". Gives house to random Ukrainian. Gets kudus.

Yeah wait till the native Kilkenny family's are struggling with mortgage payments, will any virtue signaling locals help out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,452 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What are you moaning about here? That not all of them are in tents?

There was planning permission put in in Layton for a few hundred temporary structures. Are those the ones you are giving out about?

What do you do yourself when your cousins from abroad visit you for the week - put them out in a tent in a garden because they don't deserve to stay within a "permanent house"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

The cousins don't arrive unannounced and if they do they only stay if there is room. I wouldn't be building them a permanant structure either.

Weird analogy. Is that you Neale ?

They were basically let in as "temporary EU citizens" (for want of a better phrase). They have permission to be here and they cannot be sent back.

I would imagine that one side-effect of that is that they cannot claim asylum here. The could claim it if their current status here was not so certain. If they feared that they would be sent to a warzone, they would just apply for asylum, and likely get it. Once in with that temporary status, they have to be looked after. You cannot say on the one hand that an EU person living in Ireland needs 200 Euro a week into their paw to get by but a Ukrainian needs less. The Ukrainians might be living in their luxurious tents at the minute but when processed, I'd imagine that the intention is that they will need to stand on their own two feet.

I am someone who would always be against "open borders". I'd recognise that an awful lot of people who came here and abused our asylum process were basically scammers. But I always said "I have no problem with genuine cases". Now we have genuine cases.

You need to stop upsetting yourself by making up your own versions of stories that scare you and then believing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Not one person on this thread have stated that they have no interest in helping the influx of Ukrainians but if anyone questions the impact of an open door immigration policy they are gagged and suffocated by others who will attempt to bully them into changing their minds due to their naive and uninformed stance on the topic .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement