Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

As I guessed it might. This one day "Heatwave" is very much an east coast and some midlands. Cork area and south west down around what it is today - 20-22 deg ... windy but pleasant. Will take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Square circles, it’s 28 degrees in Dublin. That is pretty damn good to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Phoenix Park really going for it now 28.3c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Why are people dissapointted with today, it's going exactly as forcasted. Majority of stations are reporting 25 or 26C at 2pm. Phoenix Park is 28C but could be closer to 29C by this point. Most England and Wales stations are 26 to 28C with a few on 30C, not that much of a difference between England and Ireland, although they are probably doing a bit better with the sunshine and it is always going to be warmer there due to their geoghraphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Probably the hype Gonzo. People just heard heatwave furnace doctors on the news dramatic headlines social media and MSM full of click bait and the reality is well the reality is a good to very good Irish summers day. Nothing out of the ordinary in itself but like everything on this country the media couldn’t just let the country enjoy the weather they had to create an event for it. Agree entirely with the point you are making by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

My overwhelming memory of this summer is just going to be grey skies and wind. Been in Dublin all week and while it's a million times better than the dross back in Donegal it's still just been cloudy far more often than not over the past week. Very little sun again today.

Back to work tomorrow so not too bothered about the weather other than a passing interest in seeing how high the temp gets

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Agree Donegal. I’m in Dublin quite a lot with work always city centre mind yoU and the narrative I see about it being some sort of Costa Del Sol doesent add up to my experience. Again I must stress this is CC but more often than not just been cloudy this July with occasional breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Donegal storm, admittedly there has been plenty of cloud in Dublin this week but it’s 28 today (could go higher yet) was 27 earlier in the week and every other day 23-25 degrees. I think that’s pretty damn impressive. We have to remember where we are located in Europe and manage expectations. My family are in Donegal the past 10 days and said bar today it’s been nothing but rain and about 17 degrees. It feels like a world away from what Dublin has been experiencing. Tomorrow has always been the day to watch out for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

my overwhelming memory of this summer will be the unrelenting grey, dank gun metal stratus cack, stunted growth, wilted vegetation and autumnal looking trees with a constant wind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

What's your gripe with the UK's weather @Slashermcguirk ? You constantly underplay their weather, 38C is approaching their record and has only been reached on a few occasions yet you're being dismissive of it! I remember you being all over the poor weather last year during Wimbledon but you haven't said much if anything about their fine weather during this year's Wimbledon while it was persistently dull here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Hot and sunny now in South West Dublin, high cloud has finally shifted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I haven't been down Dublin way this summer, but going by most posts in the summer thread, Dublin/ south of the country seems like costa del sol compared to Donegal most of this summer. I know we normally get pretty sh**t weather up here, but this summer has been abysmal.

Today though probably the best day so far, hitting about 22 where i am now, hazy skies but sun popping through every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yep today is lovely to be fair regardless of the cloud. Seems to be brightening up again now with some milky blue visible to the west.

After the miserable low cloud and drizzle all month in Donegal I was just hoping for a bit more of a vitamin D top-up, would be nice not having to take supplements at the height of summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Met Éireann have the country under a weather warning for what is only a decent summer day so it's probably the expectation people had. Even at 25 to 26C it feels much cooler because of the breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I will admit the amount of cloud or lack of fully sunny days is a bit dissapointng but we did fairly well for temperatures during the middle 2 weeks of June and the past 10 days or so has been very warm again with little rainfall. Could be alot worse. Scotland has had a mostly pigs ear of a summer, certaintly overall worse than Ireland. This has been a battleground situation between high pressure and much cooler Atlantic conditions all summer with Atlantic troughs clipping into the high pressure at times which is spoiling things in places. The further south and east you go away from the Atlantic see's a bit less in the way of cloud and better temperatures overall which explains why the north-west in particular has done rather poorly this summer.

29.1°c at Phoenix Park

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

UK max right now is only three degrees higher than ours, 31/28.

I would have expected the gap to be much greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

If this good weather was to be going on for a week or more

Yes .the hype and threads be justified..especially if it was bordering on record breaking. But for jst a few days and looks like jst for one day ..some good contributions on here .especially. Kermit ..gonzo .syran .but in reality only has been a spell of average summer irish weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

23 in Cork on my station. Lovely day, that breeze is making sitting in the shade extremely nice. It's also taking the edge off of things although people at south coast beaches might be cross.

I went for my swim at 10am before it got too hot.

If it has reached 29C already today I would expect a 32 or 33C there tomorrow providing the uppers reach 20 to 22C with zero sea breeze and less in the way of cloud compared to today. Could see a 30C yet from the Park around 5pm.

• Advertisement

Hottest day in Dublin for the last 16 years now according to Sryan.

29.1°c at the park, could go for the 30

I guess the naysayers will be quiet for the rest of the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Jaysus the misery in here is relentless. A lovely day here in Kildare.

27° at the airport and casement

29C Phoenix Park at 3pm. Currently just clipping 28C here at Dunshaughlin, warmest day of the year until tomorrow. Central London also 29C. Nothing wrong with that at all. Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Dublin is the area most likely to break the Kilkenny record...has the mountains to the south to dampen any southerly breeze, and being the largest urban area in the country, it does help in having the overall heat in the wider area being higher from radiated heat.

Indeed. I was pessimistic about the 34° over Dublin on the Harmonie and Arome, but now I’m thinking it could well be done going by today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭compsys

What are you talking about?

It's 29º NOW at the Phoenix Park and we haven't even reached the max for TODAY'S temperature let alone tomorrow when it's supposed to be even hotter.

As today has shown - if you have the right conditions - and helped by a bit of global warming no doubt - you can get to 30º in Ireland even with cloud and little build up.

Also, to get over 30º in Ireland - or close to it - is noteworthy in itself. There's been nothing 'odd' about the interest in this warm spell. It's warranted - even if not record breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Does anyone think that Phoenix Park could hit 30°C by 5pm?? If so then, maybe, just maybe, tomorrow could be a historic day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It is beginning to get exciting. We need these temperatures today if we are to hit 32 °C or higher tomorrow.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's fierce hot in Galway now. There was a nice onshore breeze at the beach but hotter inland.

I don't know how those hurlers will cope in that heat.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement