Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

As a neutral I'm hoping and half excited that there will be a lot of kicking. It's embedded in Kerrys game and Galway are well capable of it too. Galway have set up according to the opposition so far but its always based on their half forwards playing as extra half backs effectively. If they take anything from watching the Dublin game it is that the dubs got joy when they were daring and tried to hit runners (paddy small) with long direct ball. If they go at this it could be a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Who is COC meant to refer to on the Kerry team? I've seen the initials mentioned several times since Sunday on here and elsewhere but unless I'm missing something really obvious, I don't see anyone with those initials.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'd imagine it's a typo for DOC, Diarmuid O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Thanks. I assumed the same but thought I was missing something obvious when I kept seeing COC in different places. Glad to know I'm not going mental just yet. Ty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mayo 2912-2018 would find a way to lose even if playing present teams. Losers are losers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sure would. Con O, and Clifford, flanking Killiane (spillane), and Seanie supporting.

COCKS

Sorry, it was funny in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Sean Purcell, Frankie Stockwell, the three in a row team from the 60's, and players like Padraig Joyce, Derek Savage and Michael Donnellan from the 1998 and 2001 teams. Galway have a wonderful tradition of producing great players, and playing nice and clean football. Even the Galway team, that lost three all Ireland finals in four years back in the 70's, had some fine players in Johnny Hughes, Jack Cosgrove, Tommy Joe Gilmore, Michael Rooney and Jimmy Duggan. It's always good for gaelic football when Galway are up and about and doing well.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo 2012 to 2018 outside of Dublin Kerry there was also defeats to Donegal, Galway x3 Kildare and a draw with Roscommon. Plus Mayo were less than convincing in wins against the likes Sligo (2012)Derry (2017) , Cork (2017)

Of this years AI participants especially Kerry are better than all of those aforementioned teams so a bit of flawed logic thinking that Mayo would have hammered them.

P. S Kerry won a close competitive contest on Sunday it was no more nearly blown than what Dublin did in a number of their games against Mayo, Kerry while winning 6 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beepbop248

Still looking for a ticket if anyone has got extra or know who does, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Ah here, will you just take your beating and move on? Game is over. Better team won. Comerford acted the maggot a bit too much, oshea didnt deserve a red. The guy has a point re some dublin fans being hypocritical. Done.

Im not a big believer in the tradition stuff. Tradition wont beat a better team for you and the teams of 20 years ago will have the same bearing on the occasion as a team from 70 years ago - none.

On paper kerry look to have too much attacking power for galways defensive system to stifle. For them to get a result they need a few kerry forwards to misfire and maybe a bit of luck somewhere too. Those things are possible with this kerry team, but their final experience will probably tell in the end.

It is great to see 4 completely different teams contest the final over 2 seasons. There is a freshness about the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yes it's good. Even though you expect Kerry and Dublin to make the semi's each year, Dublin have come back towards the pack a little and even though they're the best teams, they're not unbeatable so it's great to see more teams up their level.

Would be great to have Galway, Mayo, Armagh, Tyrone, Donegal, Derry as real possibilities to win the whole thing as it's definitely a possibility. Bonus would be the likes of Cork, Kildare and Meath also up their level to challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Galway, Kildare would have to go up two notches get solid backs and a tactical structure that means their flair forwards can flourish. Then there is always the question on Kildare when was the last time in championship when outside Leinster they actually beat a team they were not supposed to? Through tactical nous and getting tactics spot on etc

Cork lack of a strong bench hinders them. They play well to a point then run out of steam.

As for Meath they are not in an asses roar of been contenders. In the last five years or so Meath have consistently lost to teams they should be beating handy, Westmeath, Longford, Clare etc.

It could be a few generations 20 years before Meath get their act together. So it is really fairy tale stuff to say it would be nice if Meath could be contenders.

They have to get back to beating teams like Clare when it matters.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You obviously didn’t read my post properly if you are telling me to take my beating. And accept the better team won.

In the post you referenced I clearly said - not only did I predict it, but because I did I found it easier to accept. See below-

‘‘Personally I expected Dublin to lose. For various reasons, which were unfortunately proved correct. So it is easier for me to accept- better team won etc.’

The full post was in a reply to a poster implying all Dublin people (supporters/former players) are whinging.

I referenced Ciaran Whelan saying O’Shea entitled to go for ball. Kevin McStay saying opposite, which did not fit into the posters narrative.

And I also referenced his gamesmanship gripe. And referenced what McConville said after the game ‘smarts’ and what Rock said in 2017. He shrugged off the GPS incident- trying to put fellas off is part of the game etc.

Now admittedly it was a long post - because I wanted to be clear.

But in future if you want to go on an ‘Ah here’ post/rant - make sure you read the post in full or else you will look silly.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's lots of hypocrites from every county. I agree O'Shea didn't deserve a red for that but should have been black carded for a rugby tackle shortly after that.

Tradition tells us that if you beat your biggest rival in a semi-final that you underperform in the final. Tradition tells us that Kerry win an All-Ireland in every decade since 1900. Tradition tells us that Galway win in consecutive decades and then miss out in consecutive decades.

So Galway are unlikely to win until the 2030's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

You have been knocking galway in a lot of your posts …. There in an all Ireland final next week and there on merit ….Derry we’re the bees knees with everybody up till last Saturday but now there no good ! I remember Dublin beating Donegal 8 points to 6 in a terrible semi final and it didn’t do them much harm ….of course Kerry are hot favs but all the pressure is on them … they won the all Ireland last Sunday in all but name according to a lot of people … sport can come back to bite ya .

Sport can come back to bite ya fair point. But I have seen enough of both sides to know that would need a lot to go wrong for Kerry. And a lot to go right for Galway. To cause a shock.

Now in fairness Joyce was smart and did a real number on Derry. Derry were not expecting that game plan and had no plan B. But I can’t forget those three goals Galway conceded v Armagh. Each one similar. Given the quality of the Kerry attack I can’t see Galway keeping Kerry quiet.

I would love to be proved wrong and Galway beat Kerry, to be honest. Might even wear a Galway jersey if I end up going!

But I can’t see Galway winning. Kerry are a different animal to even Kerry 2019 now. More tactically astute. Calmer, better defensively. Battled hardened with recent humbling defeats by teams they should have beaten on paper. Kerry won’t be taking Galway lightly as a consequence.

Another factor is Kerry’s most recent AI final was 2019. Whereas Galway’s was a few generations ago. So it will be a new pressure for the Galway lads. More of the Kerry lads know what to expect in that sense.

So if Galway do win, it will be one of the biggest shocks in the recent history of the GAA. It is 20 years since a div2 side won an all Ireland. When Armagh beat…. Kerry….

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I guess you are right, sure we never get shocks or surprises in sport. I think there's alot less between the teams than you hope. Galway have a different mentality to Mayo in finals and may just grasp the opportunity.

I think most people would agree that kerry are allot further down the road then this current Galway squad. There's allot between the teams at the moment in fairness but the beauty of sport is there's no guarantees. So of course they have a chance in a one off game. But its very hard to see it happening.

I heard the same thing being said about Tyrone when playing Kerry in the semi final last year. Roll on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Declan Hannon failed to cement his legacy today when he allowed Lynch lift the cup with him. So today he became first player to lift the Liam McCarthy 3.5 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm not sure if you're joking but (imo) this is a horrible way of looking at it.

I wouldn't take much notice of people here writing off Galway. I get the feeling they're lining up a comment of a "soft" all Ireland for Kerry should we win when in reality there is no such thing as a soft all Ireland.

Galway are there on merit and will absolutely fancy their chances. I think it will be a cracking game with both sides playing good football and don't expect more than a kick of a ball to be between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Galway are a flaking team. With Gavin White probably going to miss the game we have very little options at wing back. It either put DoD back into the corner and bring GoS or use Gavin Crowley or Paul Murphy.

Galway have improved every game

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Advertisement