Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not always a bad thing IMO.

It's well and good saying that somewhere like Vienna is the best city in the world but if most people can't afford to live there then I wouldn't call it liveable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭yagan

If in the minds of voters at the last election voting for Boris meant getting Brexit done, Brexit is done and Boris is leaving, so what mandate is going to hold the Tory party together for the rest of the term?

If Boris's successor tried to take up the NIP battle again I reckon English voters will tune out, which could mean the Tory MPs in borrowed Labour seats may cross the chamber. The number priority of any MP is reelection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

So the leader of the opposition is effectively following the Tory line. I can understand his being coy about re-joining but for crying out loud...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think this is a non-story. People voted for Brexit and then for the Tories twice. It is what it is. He can't really come out with anything else to be honest. Telling people that we have to live with this clusterf*ck implies that they are responsible for it. They of course are responsible for it but that's not a vote winner.

I believe that a success could be made of Brexit via canny regulation of new technologies, light touch regulation and savvy taxation. The problem such measures would have is that they'd foment conflict with the EU and would necessitate the further abandonment of vast swathes of the country to the cesspit of decades of laissez-faire Tory capitalism.

I think his point about eliminating many of the protocol checks is perfectly sensible. I think his party would make him adopt an overt remain stance if public opinion were to permit it. As things stand, this is the pragmatic thing to do. Labour got wiped out in 2019. Repeating that isn't an option of the next Tory leader finds a replacement for "Get Brexit done".

I'd happily re-enter the EU tomorrow but it's several years, maybe even decades away.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

During last nights QT they were debating all of the bad bits of Boris and (of course) one gentleman pointed out there was good bits too notably - brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The Tories would love it if the Remainer leader of the opposition mentions rejoin, as it will allow them to fight the 2016 referendum again and the 2019 general election. They can move past their failures since Brexit and focus on an area where they will win the argument with the same bs that won it last time.

Starmer is playing it like he needs to. Repeat the Tory line and let them fight the next election on their record and not on Brexit. Yes this is frustrating to see if you are of the opinion that Brexit is a mistake, but Labour cannot fall into the trap of allowing the Tories to move the discussion from their record of the past few years.

Let us not forget in 2017 when it wasn't so much about Brexit but about Social Care and the NHS, even with Corbyn as leader, Labour took seats from the Conservatives. The focus on what Labour said about Brexit when rejoin is years in the future and the only way you are going to get that started is by being in power is silly. Starmer and Labour will not come out and say Brexit was a mistake, but the way the Tories have done it has been a mistake. That way they pass the blame for the mess on the politicians and not the people that voted for it. We need to realise this whenever we see another report on what Starmer has been saying about Brexit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I put 7 +'s because that's roughly how many major improvements they want on Norway's deal.

Like not having to accommodate the 4 freedoms which the EU insists are a package deal. And homogeneity with EU legislation. And the EFTA Court. And a substantial rebate. And Schengen.

https://www.norway.no/en/missions/eu/areas-of-cooperation/the-eea-agreement/

The EEA agreement brings together the 27 EU member states and the three EEA EFTA states Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein in the internal market, governed by the same basic rules. It guarantees the EU Single Market's four freedoms, as well as non-discrimination and equal rules of competition throughout the EEA area.

The EEA Agreement also covers cooperation in areas such as research and development, education, social policy, the environment, consumer protection, tourism and culture.

Norway gets control over Agriculture and Fisheries which is no use to the UK as it's a major importer. Scotland on the other hand as an exporter of food, fuel would find the EEA a better match if they couldn't get grandfathered EU rights than England would.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I did note that Starmer said the EU needs to be flexible. They don't need to be anything of the sort. Maybe they will, if it suits, but they have no obligation to put themselves out for the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What can he say? The UK needs to be flexible? That would give the Tories a big stick to beat him with.

Of course the EU needs to be flexible - in return for the UK being even more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course there is the possibility that for whatever reason Starmer has been talking to Brussels and it suits them to give him a decent run at an election win, just to get the Conservatives out of the way. Its a lead in to PR voting of some sort and maybe a bit more of a situation that the EU would prefer to see in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

this is where at least some evidence based facts vs just n1 emotion can help. in terms of rent vienna is one of the best capitals in europe to live in ,the city owns about 400 000 flats or so that are not speculation objects so rents are fairly decent , you can go to the opera for 5 euro , public transport is 365 euro a year .

https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlight/2019/09/housing-basic-human-right-vienna-model-social-housing

Post edited by peter kern on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

OT:

Vienna, Munich, Basel, Prague, Zürich, Madrid, Lausanne, Copenhagen.

Been many times and/or lived in most of these. They're leagues ahead of Dublin or anything in Ireland in QoL.

On Topic:

England ain't great either, I left in 2015 because Brexit was in the air and I could see the country going nowhere, including austerity etc. Best decision of my life. Ireland isn't top of the league, but it isn't toxic and it's "small" (this has both pros and cons 😊)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's actually a nice list. Definitely better than some I've read if it's got the likes of Madrid up there.

As for leaving I held out till 2020. You could definitely see an atmosphere descend which reminded me a bit of the recession. Although the more I explored England I found many cities look like they were always in a fog of gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wait, I thought Brexit was done and it was Johnson wot did it.

Seems even Johnson acknowledges it is far from done.

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1548271855676432384?t=q8PcUqa9J3yhrLEPIRf3sA&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Legacy of a clown, shyster and cheater. Should have been added 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I note the use of Fahrenheit for temperature on that front page, isn't the Celsius scale most common in UK and what most people understand? Is use of Fahrenheit linked to the suggested return to imperial measurements, in my experience Fahrenheit is not prominent over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I think the Express always use Fahrenheit. I wouldn’t be surprised if they think the EU forced Celsius on them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's just stupid beyond words. He's either lying through his teeth, or is far stupider than I thought possible. Or perhaps both 🙄

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Invented by the German* physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit - 1724

Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius invented the Celsius or Centigrade scale - 1742

Belfast born physicist  William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin, based his absolute temperature scale (SI) on the Celcius/Centigrade scale - 1848

Lars  😀

*Born in Danzig lived in the Netherlands

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the Daily Express knew Fahrenheit was invented by a German, I doubt they would ever use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Christy42

Kelvin was Belfast born. We should try and get them to switch to the true UK temperature scale!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think Fahrenheit gets used in summer because you can get '100+' into headlines.

Celcius is preferred in winter because 'Britain in MINUS TEN Polar Vortex Ice Blanket' works better than the rather boring Fahrenheit equivalent which is a positive number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭amacca

The history of that scale is very amusing...I believe faranheit designed it so the temperature/digits should never be colder than it got in Denmark or was that romer? I remember various machinations/multipliers/ etc were used to make the numbers more user friendly.....

It's to do with being able to say it's "over a hundred"

That said, it means nothing to me so you're better off just saying it's over 40C which will give me flashbacks to living in Australia. Bleugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

What's funny about Fahrenheit is that unlike things like miles, pounds, inches etc. there seems to be no common use of Fahrenheit outside the media. I've never heard any person I've met in Ireland or the UK use Fahrenheit, but you'd think it was in common use based on the media.

I've met older people in Canada who used it. And brewers. But that's about it. If we ignore Americans of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's very commonly used in the US but they're weird about units over there.

Fun fact: -40 is the same temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement