Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitudes towards defilement of girls under 16 years of age in Britain.

Options

Comments

You've shifted goalposts. Originally the remark was about attention given to sexual abuse.. and now you're shifted to murder.

As for white woman syndrome, that's more to do with social conditioning and the protected place that women hold in society. It's little different from the phenomena of women receiving softer sentencing than men for the same crimes committed, or the focus on the male in a partnership with the female being left mostly unpunished. That syndrome works both ways...

And no.. victim blaming is not inherently part of white woman syndrome, that's a fairly modern addition, due to feminism, that seeks to remove any responsibility from a female victim for the circumstances of their death, assault or whatever. The attitude that women, of any ethnicity, might bring such attention on themselves is not exclusive to white women/girls.. and is pretty standard in most cultures. It's a point to the differences in behaviour between how girls/women behaved in more traditional (50s/60s) societies, vs the very free societies of today.. whereby females engage in behaviour which would have been considered extremely risky in the past, but now, the belief that females should be able to do whatever they wish, regardless of the risks involved.

Not going to continue with the victim blaming/responsibility aspect of this discussion, because I know how it runs turns out on boards. Victims are completely and utterly free from any responsibility for what happens to them, and anything that disputes that position is aggressively attacked. No value in engaging that kind of discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

No, I haven't. The murders that I mentioned were sexually-motivated. Furthermore, there are murders that are related to the rape of girls by some men of Muslim background.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_the_Lowe_family

The dynamic is still completely different. Murder of a female is considered in a very different light than "just" sexual abuse. The motivations don't matter. The perception of society regarding the two situations does. Even when sexual abuse is part of the murder, the murder assumes the primary position in the minds of people, along with the white woman syndrome you referred to earlier.

So.. yes, you shifted the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Whos attitudes? The law was the same as it is today,

Are you saying because the elements of the media (who turned out to be rotten with nonces) did their best to normalise this behaviour that the consensus about **** girls under 16 was that it was grand?

If there is a sexual element to the murder, how can it not matter? It is regarded as much more heinous than a killing that takes place in a fit of anger.

If a rape victim is murdered immediately after the rape takes place, then it's sexually motivated because the murder would not have taken place without the rape - and the same applies if there is necrophilia involved.

• Advertisement

If there is a sexual element to the murder, how can it not matter?

You're doing it again. Shifting goalposts. I didn't say that it didn't matter. I said that the murder becomes the primary position.. and in any case, it's still another shift away from the original statement about sexual abuse towards females.

If a rape victim is murdered immediately after the rape takes place, then it's sexually motivated because the murder would not have taken place without the rape - and the same applies if there is necrophilia involved.

Honestly, I know little about necrophilia, but I suspect that it isn't primarily about being sexually motivated.. the sex is simply a way to make their feelings more real. In any case, I don't know enough about it, and have no interest in reading up on it.

However, rape is often about dominance and the destroy the identity of another person. In cases where a man rapes another man under supervision of a female partner, the scenario is generally more about dominance and the desire to bring about pain, than any sexual pleasure being involved. It's psychological rather than physical. Same with many rapes by men towards women, or rapes by women towards other women.. it's not sexual. There are other considerations involved.

Also, your original position, which I replied to referred to sexual abuse, and now you're specifying rape. You're still leading away from the original post and my response to it...

If you want to deal with what I've written, great. But if you're going to constantly shift the context for the discussion, there's little point continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

There are many things that were the norm in the past which we cringe at now (and we can't assume that we would have been shocked by this if there at the time) - always been the way - but "different times" isn't grounds for downplaying it now, with the knowledge we've accumulated since then. For instance it was the norm for young boys to work in the coal mines, and now we are well justified in condemning it. And people can both like the artist's work yet also condemn their behaviour. For instance, I love Roman Polanski films. I also feel empathy and sadness for the child he was under nazi terror, and for the husband and father-to-be he was when his pregnant wife was slaughtered... but I also think he's a scumbag.

I hate the "missing white woman" thing - it implies that the level of coverage is undeserved. In my opinion, it's socioeconomic class that determines the level of coverage. A missing white, meth addicted woman from a trailer park in Arkansas is unlikely to receive much attention. When the Yorkshire ripper's victim changed from prostitute to college student, the police, public and media collectively sat up.

But if underage, nobody can consent in the eyes of the law - and there's a reason for that. An early age of consent too is for sexual relations with people of the same age group, not a decade-plus older.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Married his teenage cousin. 🤮

Elvis, however, met Priscilla when she was 14 - married her when she was 19 or 20. How intimate their relationship was between when they met and when she turned legal age... dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,483 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Already said law was the same, attitudes different. It happens - attitudes to many subjects change over time frequently.

I never mentioned the media - you can blame who you want.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I'm blaming the nonces, who are you blaming?

Would you make excuses for priests diddling kids due to the attitudes in Ireland at the time?

Would you fcuk

You're not comparing like with like though.

Priests molesting children was never a part of the social norms within the last two hundred years. Whereas girls/boys getting married at 14 (and having kids at that age) would have been quite normal roughly a hundred years ago.

That's the point about applying modern standards/acceptable norms to what went on in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,483 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Eh - hang on a second - why are you asking me about blame or making excuses...? I merely made a statement of fact: societal attitudes change over time.

If you want to comment on that, great. If you want to discuss blame, or cause, or anything else for that matter - engage someone who commented in such a fashion or start a new thread.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

OK, I'll move back to the issue of sexual abuse of children. Indeed the root of sexual exploitation of white girls by some men of South Asian Muslim (particularly Pakistani) background - and I believe that Sikh and Hindu girls were also targeted by the same category of perpetrators - must be studied.

It must also be noted that there have also been paedophile rings involving entirely or mostly white men (and some women) who were not well-known outside their local communities, e.g. Sidney Cooke and his accomplices and some local businessmen (one of whom died recently after being charged) in Fermanagh. Those cases caused public outcries.

Furthermore, recently, I watched an ITV documentary in which a witness said that teenage schoolgirls were often picked up after class by young male adults in the Falklands - and there are not Asian people there that I know of.

Age of consent in the UK back in the 1800s was still 16, so yeah, it is like with like.

The difference is that people don't like admitting that rock stars like Bowie and Page were nonces just like our pedo priests, which is why you get people making excuses for them.

I have no issue with any of that. My previous comments were about something else. Islam, Hinduism, etc are all religions that have an unhealthy attitude towards females, moreso with the younger ones, which are incompatible with modern western values... and the they should be scrutinized because of that.

No, it's not as you're trying to link the molestation by priests of young children in modern times. Different situations.. and you know it.

"after 1823 a male could marry as young as 14 without parental consent and a girl at 12 although most girls didn't marry until around the ages of 18 to 23."

Nobody on the thread is making excuses for rock stars. The point was about applying modern standards to periods in history, when society and cultural norms were very different. I've said this a few times now, and I'm sick of repeating it. It's obvious you're going to continue ignoring that point.. so I'll leave this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not sure of her age, but she was raped by the Holy Spirit according to the Great Book of Truth & Wisdom Which We Don’t Dare Question.

Sadly, RTÉ apologised for this grim, disgusting truth following complaints from so-called Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The incredible thing about the Wynam-Smith situation was the British media’s take on it.

Instead of labelling him a bit on the noncey side, she got a labelled a “wild child”!!!

Astonishing.

I'm aware of the age of the wife of the prophet Mohammed but that was back in the 7th Century. Mainstream Islamic scholars do not condone sex between a man and an under-age girl. I'm not aware of any special interest in younger females in Hinduism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

And another bit of context from the earlier times. In 1842, the Mines Act forbade any women or girls of any age from working underground, and 10 was the minimum age for boys. And in the same timeframe, a male could marry as young as 14 without parental consent, and a girl at 12 years of age. So we have come a long way since then. Just to show what would be completely unacceptable and illegal now, was in fact completely accepted practice back then. And you don't have to back that far,,,even as far back as 50, 60 or 70 years ago, the world was a different place, but nowadays, its evolving at a pace that could not be imagined back those 50 or 60 years ago. So there's no comparison really.

• Advertisement

According to Jewish custom and Law at that time, Mary would have been at least 15 or 16, and Joseph 19 or 20. So no, Llama, Mary's marriage was in conformity with this Law, and not " a bit on the young side" as you seem to think.

Child marriage is still a strong component of many Islamic cultures. People might immigrate to the West, but they're likely to retain their own "unique" cultural backgrounds, especially when it relates to how Islam intertwines with it. As for Hinduism, it's the parts of Indian culture which relate to the place of females in society, and their rights (or lack thereof) compared to men... which has led to grooming gangs around the world. They're all connected in some manner.

Mainstream Islamic scholars theorize.. they're not talking about the practical application of Islam within different cultural groups worldwide. Also what is considered underage depends on the country/culture involved, as there are many countries, both Islamic and not, with low ages of consent.. which can also be lower again on a local level for distinct cultural groups.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/age-of-consent-around-the-world.html

Interestingly, here in the Republic, the age of consent for boys was 15 until the law was changed in 2006 in the aftermath of the Supreme Court's judgement on the issue of a defendant not being able to use mistake about the girl's age as a defence under an Act from the 1930s.

😡

Yeah British tabloid media being scum - what a shocker.

So not much change from the time of Mary and Jesus in terms of marriage and consent...Then there was Gretna Green in Scotland, where if you were between the ages of 16-18, you could get married without parental consent. Slightly different, but back in the 60's you could become an apprentice at the age of 14,,,, and many left school at that age to start their working lives. And that's still in living memory...not sure what the legal age for leaving school is now though, but 18 is generally accepted as being an adult.

Actually, the age of consent for girls in this country was (and still is, of course) 17 before the 2006 change in the law.

When I was in Afghanistan, it was explained to me like this by a colleague. In rural areas ( especially, but not not exclusively) say two boys grow up together, and when they get to marriageable age, their Fathers will arrange match's for them, and on the appointed day, they will wed. All fine and in complete agreement with Islamic tradition. Then down the line a bit, the wives get pregnant, and the husbands will make an agreement with each other that if one is a boy, and the other is a girl, they will make a marriage pact for them when they come of age. And this pact will be binding. So you could call it an illegal marriage by our laws and way of thinking, but its perfectly normal and natural in Afghanistan, and when two people from the same village get married, they will have grown up together, and know each other well as kids long before marriage. Of course, once the girls reach puberty, and even earlier, they will be segregated 100%. In other Muslim Country's I've lived in, its basically the same.

I knew a Muslim family in China where the wife was 14 when she got married (the husband was in his mid-20s). Very happy marriage, but they did have their first kid when she was 15.. which is acceptable by Chinese laws btw. You can find the same thing happening in rural areas with Chinese people, young girls (14/15) marrying older men.. and I've heard of similar things in Africa too.

It's what tends to happen in poorer regions, especially if they're agrarian cultures. With less availability to modern medicine, and education, more women/girls die in childbirth, so there's a quicker attitude towards getting hitched earlier.

It took 12 minutes. Imagine being such a slave to ideology that you'd twist concern about sexualisation of children into being pervy. Utterly vindictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I genuinely have no idea what point you're supposed to be making. If there even is one.

Advertisement