Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunsany now reporting 28C. Possibly the highest temperature there since 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Hairypoppins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

So it’s not really in one corner of the country today which is good

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Especially considering there has been a fair breeze all afternoon and either cloudy or milky hazy conditions. I hope there is more blue in the skies tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Scotland's all time record was broken at this ridiculously located official station a few years ago before it was discarded because an ice cream van had its engine running next to it!

There are legitimate issues with the station placement as evident in JohyIcy's pic. The trees and buildings shelter it so likely allow heat to build without the sea breeze mixing in and moderating the temperature. But as you say its an official station so if it breaks the record its as official as anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Definitely pool weather, 28c and loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

27C hazy sunshine. Very nice.

Leitrim

Hirlam looking toasty for tomorrow. Hirlam was bang on the money with today's temperatures reaching 28C here in Meath. They were also correct about the 27C last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Phoenix Park, by Met Éireann's own admission, is not optimally sited and for that reason that they don't have an anemometer installed, it's too sheltered, with high trees surrounding it and a large building a few metres away. They said this.

The thunderstorm risk has now been reduced to almost nothing on the GFS. Very little of note on the other models with cape values. So i think we can safely forget about a 1985 happening. The Atlantic air will cut through the heat on Tuesday like a hot knife to butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

How come HIRLAM only has max of 35c for UK tomorrow? Not complaining just find it a bit odd. Aren’t they expecting 38-40c

The 40C+ is Tuesday. Meanwhile the heat will be draining away from us very quickly by that stage. Low to mid twenties first half of Tuesday for Leinster, then high teens by evening time nationwide.

If and it’s a bit if, it breaks the record tomorrow would you accept it as legitimate or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sitting in my back garden but with a cooling breeze and thin, wispy cloud ever so slightly dulling the sun, its not as warm as several days in the last 10 days. Thought the air itself would feel warmer. Warm uppers not translating into any different feeling at ground level here

I got a text from Bord na Móna a little while ago. This is a joke at this stage, when a yellow warning changes working patterns. They're not even lifting the bins and get a breezy ride standing on the back of the truck.

The country has lost the run of itself, it really has, when it comes to weather "warnings".

"Due to the high temperature warning in place for tomorrow our collection crew will be out earlier than usual. Please put your Waste bin out now as tomorrow is your collection day"

but like everything on this country the media couldn’t just let the country enjoy the weather they had to create an event for it.

Very well phrased.

If we think back to pre-internet media the papers only had one shot per day at a relevant headline, and that was written the night before. Weather was put into the weather forecast. For this kind of weather you might hear it from your weather nerd neighbour: "there's good weather promised"

Now online headlines can be updated 20 times a day, entire radio stations are dedicated to talk, news TV channels run around the clock.

They don't have to prioritise the biggest story of the day, they need to fill their huge schedules.

I will accept that an official station has broken the national record, yes, albeit in a site that has changed considerably over its lifetime. I won't accept people quoting e.g. Churchtown or their car thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Latest Arome for tomorrow. Has been pretty accurate today and last week. White numbers are all 30C+

Widespread 30-31C in the midlands and Limerick, up to 34C in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I think it all started with the cold winters in 2009 & 10. The tabloids around then copped on to the fact that dramatic weather forecasts were an easy click generator so we had all sorts of random nobodies giving their 'forecast' that every upcoming spell of weather would be the worst ever.

And now over the past 5 or 6 years the mainstream media have followed suit and Met services don't exactly do much to dampen down the hype. I think Ophelia was the first event that the MSM fully got on board with here but it happens every single time there's anything out of the ordinary now. We've had a full week of dramatic build up, warnings and advice on not dying for what's basically just been a couple of pleasant summer days this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Got that message from Country Clean as well, even though they collect early anyway so god knows what time they’ll be collecting in the morning!

• Advertisement

Very strong sunshine now at Dunshaughlin for past half hour. Feels so much hotter than at any point today. Temperature fell back to 27C before 6pm but has jumped back up to 28C. Feels about 31C.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Banarol

Last Sunday felt noticeably warmer than today in Mid Tipperary even though today peaked at 1.8 C warmer on the davis. Its all about the breeze. A very strong breeze in these parts spoiled things to an extent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

A very strong breeze in south Dublin but it’s a lovely warm one so I’m not complaining. Feeling very warm. Currently 28C

The Breeze has died down and the sun is still strong. Phone now showing 29C, not sure that can be trusted tho, but it does feel properly continental hot now.

It’s definitely feeling hotter here in coastal north county Dublin, in fact its pretty warm for 7 pm. The day was breezy which was nice

Night feels like it will be sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Interesting that the Ukmo brings 24C Uppers into the South!! Now that is incredible in its own right and may never be repeated! That's how historic this event is.

It's all about tomorrow really and quite likely to break record's!

As for the breakdown quite strange that we don't see much ppn! Will this change?!

I will be enjoying tomorrow because this is unchartered territory in terms of upper air temperatures. I'll be amazed if a record isn't broken somewhere and I'll view it as a once in a lifetime chance for both temperatures and uppers. Getting the +20C isoterm to southern England is a big deal and getting +23 well into Ireland is just unheard of and probably has never happened in any of our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I presumed 25.2c was my max for the day earlier but is now unexpectedly 26.3c ..... feels just like getting off a plane in Malaga 😁

The wind must have gone from SE to S?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lovely day again down Bray Seafront today. Massive crowds out.

There was a lovely breeze but that breeze is gone since about 4.30/5pm.

Very heavy now and any puff of wind is pretty warm. Seems much warmer now than earlier

• Advertisement

Your bin is still being collected. It’s the hottest day of the year, maybe they want to finish it earlier and enjoy the day instead of being around everyone’s smelly shite in the heat. Can’t say I blame them, wonder how long you would hack getting a “breezy ride” doing that job lol.

Advertisement