Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,450 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Will I be reading the Dilbert comics to you as you type?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Lol you make it sound like I live in an amazon jungle and was welcomed in by a local Tribe , your really stretching your imagination now.

I thought for moment I had heat stroke reading some of your posts, but no , you actually did manage to post some extraordinary nonsense.

This is not about me , my Home or what Locals think about me , so let's get back on Topic but try be a little more realistic please 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

That's a state secret apparently, some were sent to city west "to see if they had room" we never found out but given its full , likely on the ballroom floor or tents being erected there too.

Don't be ridiculous Dempo.

They don't do burning pitchforks in the Amazon tribes.

I'm actually now convinced you are the Real Donald Trump 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Move over in the bed and prepare to make room for the next wave of salon frequenters and swimming pool enthusiasts .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Thank you, to be honest I feel bad for the majority of Ukrainians and wish them no ill.

It's just shining a light on the Governments throw money and problems and damn the consequences approach. There is only so much rope that approach gives you

Well that sounds like another Porky, the City west has 764 rooms.

Let's say 700 in use (I'm be generous)

Let's assume 2 to a room but they have many family rooms and suites.

This would suggest there's at a Minimum of 1,400 at the city west Hotel currently, I suspect more.

Both government and The City west have said they are completely full.

There's already a Tent structure being built and attached to the city west complex, suggestions this will be used for "Other Asylum Seekers" inviteed here"

So suggesting 827 is all that's there is I believe serious Porkies and not remotely believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think they are talking about the reception centre in the Convention Centre

The hotel is separate from the Convention centre

• Advertisement

I don't believe so, they mentioned bed spaces, the convention centre is just that a convention centre. If this has also been turned into space for sleeping, that would actually increase the number of bed spaces available. The Entire complex has been block booked so it's possible the convention centre could be used but entirely impractical for long term use, no showering facilities, enough toilets etc, it would essentially be like using a community hall, albeit a litte posher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There are now camp beds and mattress plus people sleeping on chairs in the Convention centre . They might well be talking about it

As far as I know there are over 1000 Ukrainians in the hotel itself

The report typically vague so I assumed they were reffering to the Hotel as the convention centre wouldn't be practical for long term accommodation, I believe part of it is also being used to facilitate food services also.

I agree, at a minimum there's 1000 in the Hotel, I think perhaps more.

I find when statements made to media and to a certain extent some media don't question facts, the statements are deliberately ambiguous. Perhaps in thus case they don't want to admit camp beds being set up in the convention centre and deliberately just refer to the City West only.

If its a case the convention centre has to be used for accommodation , that in itself should be raising alarm bells.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The same "EU person" gets a third of what Ukrainians get here and have to go through more checks to get it and they get significantly less again in Poland. Now Poland is cheaper to live in than here, but Germany is the same or more depending on location. I have no problem with helping the Ukrainian refugees, I do have a problem with stacking the deck in such a way that they're far more likely to remain here and no caps on them. That's before the chancers from the usual sources piling in here because Britain has made it harder for them.

Just on health checks alone: Barely a few months ago we were being asked to keep up boosters and wear masks(which may be coming back) and now we bring in nearly 40,000 people with zero checks from one of the least covid vaccinated nations in Europe, never mind the highest HIV incidence outside the continent of Africa and one of the worst incidenced of tuberculousis in Europe, one that unlike elsewhere is growing and it's the drug resistant kind. We threw out a century of ringfencing rabies in this country to allow them bring pets in. A couple of months ago client of mine bringing her dog back to Ireland from living on the continent had to rightfully jump through all the hoops to bring him here, while at the exact same time Ukrainian cats and dogs were simply waved through. I have no issue with people bringing their much loved pets here. They're at the very least a great comfort to people, but with no checks? You could not make this two tier throw out all the checks because we couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery daftness up.

On top of that this country's services and housing for Irish people are in a major crisis, never mind the huge hole in our kitty after covid and we're adding more fuel to the fire. A fire that's consuming the magic money tree by the month with little end in sight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I wonder is there some sort of a speech that incomers get along the lines of photographs are prohibited and no interaction with the media, one would imagine more images of whats going on would be in the public arena from the likes of the airport and citywest

Obviously if there was we'd never be told, but its clear government with the help of certain Irish media have been controlling the narrative. But now the farce has reached such unbelievable levels media here, can no longer ignore it, to many questions being asked.

Whilst Social media not taken seriously by some, Twitter has lit up with unease, more and more local newspapers reporting less fluffy pieces, I'm just aghast it's taken this long 😏

Ngo's and charities in my experience can be very fierce in protecting what they perceive as their territory, they can be very singleminded, territorial and controlling even suspicious of other organisations encroaching on their territory, there really needs to be an arms length kept between them and where decisions affecting citizens of the state are made, thats not the case these days

I’m not sure what your post is about. The dog walkers we met on the Blueway were Irish. My point is that sometimes a common language isn’t needed to communicate. In our case how adorable the shaggy dog was.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Thats because virtue signaling for point's only last so long. What your left with then is reality, and its now starting to dawn on people. Not the virtue signaling flag wavers who stand with everything, they will never change, but with ordinary Joe soaps who start to wonder where their tax is going.

The media are an extension of the government, everyone knows that. The government are an extension of the EU, and right now the plan is not to stop the war, but stop people in native countries from questioning it.

They believe they can win the war in the meantime with EU (our tax) funds before the sheep rebel. Futile.

I was referring to your comment about some people just don't want to see Ukrainian Refugees happy,

I love dogs, you might even like Ollie 😏

• Advertisement

Yep couldn't agree more, I mentioned earlier it's actually the Virtue signalling that is tripping up our government, people saw through it almost immediately but now too many questions, Debacles and questions being asked 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's always funny reading posts like this where people consider themselves to be so much more intelligent than the general public. The general public don't have the ability to research things and come to considered conclusions.. oookkay. It's a shame they don't have the Einstein level of intelligence that some other people have. Or... perhaps they are perfectly capable? It's just a strange but common theme to think you've got some intelligence edge on the general public. Is it that you think the general public are lacking in the IQ department? Why are you so clever and informed but they are not?

Because most people are too busy living their lives and dealing with life's ups and downs to really have any interest at looking further into how this situation is playing out.

Those who do take an interest and look past the headlines are seeing an absolute **** show that is spiralling out of control .

It's a pity more people don't look closer at many topics

That's a very intelligent post 🙄

Why not post an opinion rather than just making absurd observations on others posts, gosh you might even reach 70 posts by the end of the day.

Many on this Thread have not just researched, asked perfectly ligitimate questions, made reasonable observations and have in the main been objective. Sure there's differing views, mistakes made, perhaps some outlandish claims and stories.

There is no PhD, high IQ or Einsteins level of intelligence required to observe what's going on, all that's required is an ability to listen, observe and a basic level of intelligence to work out, what is going on is an utter and bewildering Farce.

We await with baited breath for your 70th post on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I don't think anyone other than the people who consider themselves much cleverer and more informed than the general public think that the general public don't have an interest in the goings on in their country. It's just a cop out for not accepting that the general public is not on your side. Accuse them of not caring enough to take an interest. Doesn't seem logical to me but its one way to bypass the general public not being on your side. Just assume they are not interested. Of course if they were interested they'd be on your side... oookaay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d imagine the cousins are invited and it’s ran by everyone as a courtesy

The average person is not interested or putting in time to research what is happening and the trend.

Just like the average person is not researching climate change or inflation or pretty much anything.

Don't pretend that the average person the street is all knowing about all current ,past and possible future happenings.

Absolute hogwash

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mattress Mick on a winner here, and tents for events... Dear boy.

His cousins are from Laois. If his family heard they might be coming up, they'd pull down the blinds and go out for the day.

It would have had to be an unannounced visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Would surprise me if they had caravans in the carpark now. 🤐

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement