Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Down in Clare for the weekend, beautiful weather on the beach today, sea breeze was very light when it eventually started around 3pm, before that there was a southerly which wasn’t really a problem on a north western facing beach . Cannot believe the amount of people heading into rip currents on body boards getting pulled out. Lifeguards have been busy all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The way things are going with the climate I would say its likely to be repeated. Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

Feels very continental this evening in Leitrim. Time to crack open a bottle of wine.

Enjoy the weather everyone. We very seldom get this type of evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'll have a wild guess that you are not an employer as your attitude to very basic health and safety stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This illustrates my point perfectly. Health & Safety gone mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm nearly comparing it to the winter equivalent. I.E the cold comes in, cools the landmass. A warm front comes in and BOOM ..snow.

Summer. The heat comes in, heats the land mass. A cold front comes and ...thunder??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Smashing day in West cork. Got to about 24/25 but felt a lot warmer, breeze was warm and was on the beach and swimming all day. Came out of the water and wasn't even cold, that's rare!

Fair play to Dublin Airport, max 27.8 today. Casement only manage 27.1. I was playing golf next door to it this afternoon and there was a strong breeze making it feel very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My brother in law works as a refuse collector. Its an extremely physically demanding job and doing it in 30c temperatures would nor be much fun at all.

Fair play to the company for letting their staff work hours that help them avoid the hottest part of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Banarol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

27 degrees at Dublin Airport at 7pm, unbelievable 😎.

We headed to Portmarnock today, unfortunately the wind there was unbelievable🙄.

Everything was absolutely and I mean absolutely covered in sand by time we got home. Ah well we still had a great day.

I wonder what temperature is the threshold above which it becomes too demanding. It must be in writing somewhere and companies must have a policy on it. I'm sure they don't make it up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

There's a REALLY strong breeze here in South Dublin Firhouse.....if the temperature wasn't so warm it'd be very unpleasant.

Does anyone know why this is so?

Was looking at various weather apps and it's supposed to be 9-12km/h but feels at least double that and ME app says 21km/h which seems much more accurate, but I'm just wondering where it's coming from.....

Max

Temp today was 29.5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The logical side of me without looking at charts is telling me that there should be a high risk of lots of precipitation. But I know the charts have backed off a bit. Anyway we'll see. Atm they're giving the thunderstorm risk moving in to waterford from the sea Tuesday and then maybe later on wexford, wicklow. I think really these are a bit too chaotic to forecast properly. I hope.

A warm breeze is very unusual in Ireland but that’s what I’m feeling now. 22° at nearly 9pm is fairly unique as well. A no duvet night ahead.

might even turn off the heating. (Joke).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just look at those Uppers, will we ever see the likes of this again in our lifetimes? These uppers usually stay in south of Spain or North Africa all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not nice sleepy time tonight I reckon. Feels very muggy/heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Forgive my stupidity but why are temps so much higher in the mid / north east when the warmest uppers are spreading from the south? Sometimes seems that the more I find out, the less I know....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'll ask the brother in law. Apart from council bin collections, which are unionised, I doubt the private operators have such details specified in their policies and likely play it by ear and react to the warnings issued by Met Eireann

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sea breezes across the south. Minimal onshore breezes in the east this time around. The wind has traveled over 100km of dry land by the time it reaches Dublin/Meath, plus maybe the Wicklow Mountains also comes into play as the winds are southerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

You're going to think I'm joking but there's a heavy fog and it feels cool or dare I say it cold on the west coast now, that stiff breeze hasn't died back yet, one of the colder evenings all week, Met are forecasting 19 right now for my location, feels more like 13!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Breeze?

Correlation between upper temperature and ground level temps is low, so not im sure why there's so much focus on it...

Todays max temperatures and Churchtown dials in a 29.6C, only fractionally ahead of the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Fairly gusty out the back in D24. Top still off though so all good. I recommend everyone to increase their alcohol intake to ensure a solid sleep tonight.

The hottest day last year in Dunshaughlin was 17th July it reached 28C, today is also 17th of July and it reached 28C. 28C also reached in 2018 and the time before that I think was during 2006. I wasn't in Ireland during the 2013 heatwave so unsure if it reached 28C here during that spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Nit at all, there’s a fog moving in from the west coast and reaching the midlands later. Perceived temperature is very difficult to measure, lots of elements come into it but fog = humidity which is an important one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Suddenly very calm here in Dublin 5, 26 degrees at 9pm, quite amazing really. Sitting in garden with a drink and it’s so balmy. Reminds me of being on the continent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wine Goddess, I've no idea but that's what it was like on Portmarnock today, the breeze or more like gale was unreal.

We have a beach tent and even when my husband had it facing the right way away from wind the gusts in it were still unreal.

Loads of things were flying down the beach and everyone was absolutely covered in sand.

It was very localised though, at home in our back garden barely a puff of breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Tending to agree. Some of the warmest upper temps in Munster but it's too cool to sit out tonight without at least a second layer (it's still a pleasant night). I would say there have been 7 warmer evenings in Cork in the last 2 weeks. So hard to credit with such warm uppers but they appear literally irrelevant to the temp at ground level. I feel very stupid for taking various steps over the last few days to allow the family sleep well tonight "against all odds". Heat will not be a issue.

Advertisement