Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLERICAL OFFICER 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭shmeee

Jayus, you let it off..... Don't see many posts like that around here!

Can't say a bad word about any of the staff or managers in my department for the last number of years. Never an issue and more than accommodating to any issues raised. Complete contrast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hi, Just wondering I see the starting salary for a CO is 25,339 but there is also a pay scale. How often do you go up this pay scale? Is it yearly or based on performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jjnaas

I will say that this board does seem a little unusual in that you do so rarely see any negative posts about the CO job. It's all sunshine, great job and everyone who gets in will climb the ladder. I'd say the reality is somewhere in the middle of that and Avenger2020's post. My own experience is closer to Avenger2020's but I also have some friends still in it who love it. I will say that having a partner with a good salary or another source of income really helps if you don't fly up the ladder as quickly as you expected. For me, it was dreadful management and the salary that made me leave but I'd still present the benefits if asked. Sometimes I think the CO thread here is far too rosy but then again CS are public enemy number one elsewhere on the interweb so it's refreshing 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hfelloni

Hi,

Vetting forms filled in from United States on my holidays last week rather stressful to be hinest. My now issue is that my boss is on honeymoon and not back till the 25th July. He is not permitted to use work email address. He just messaged me to say received an email to his email ( non work) as a character reference ? He will be replying to sender from clearance but the 25th is a long time away ! Passed 2nd interview 6th May & all this happening when I least want it!!!!! Any advise ? Can I give a 2nd old employer ? Over 6 years with my current employer!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Hi jjnaas, thanks for backing me up. Sincerely. It can seem so lonely will you have bully-boy management in the Civil Service. They know full well they’re sacrosanct and their job is guaranteed. Sometimes it gets so bad I can see that they don’t care even about the public. It doesn’t even matter If a project doesn’t get completed on time or it goes over costs. Most people have rose tinted glasses when it comes to the CS and expect the best in our public service. When the opposite can often be true. We must understand that this country has been oppressed for centuries and it’s easier not to think about such conflict. The likelihood is that these poor COs will be handed all the ****, tedious work by management who don’t know how to do basic tasks. They will earn ridiculously low salary but have the hope of progressing in life if they work hard. Sometimes they maybe confronted with bullies that are prevalent in the CS cos it doesn’t matter if staff turnover is high or a project doesn’t get completed. Its just a warning. These kids are free to make their own mistakes I guess. But know your worth. You probably are worth more than the CO wage. (Senior management in the CS are looking at 15% pay rise.) leave after you get a year or two experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

It is supposed to be yearly but it is actually based on performance. Managers are starting to hold back on giving increments if performance is in anyway poor. Any excuse for poor performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

My experience of the CS has been nothing but good and I have the most supportive managers (HEO, AP, PO, and Assist Sec Gen!). I progressed quickly from CO to EO through these campaigns and was lucky enough to stay in the same Dept throughout. Yes I can see the cracks, and there are those who would trample over you to get ahead, but you'll have those people in the private sector too.

HOWEVER, I do agree with you in that there is no accountability for senior civil servants and, yes, a large number of them can't do the simplest of tasks - but they don't need to be able to do those tasks, that's what CO's and EO's are for. Project delays and budget overruns are par for the course in any organisation, public or private, especially in the past few years. There is also a lot of political interference which undermines the work of Departments.

While I haven't personally witnessed any bully tactics I have heard the horror stories - everything from CO's bullying other CO's to PO's making their CO's and EO's lives hell and nothing is ever done about it except moving staff around. Thankfully in my Dept these cases are few and far between. The culture of the Dept you are assigned to has a lot to do with how you are treated - new people are seen as a threat to the status quo. There are many great departments out there in which you are encouraged to progress, and actively supported when you apply for promotion. A lot of people going into the CS are not doing it for the salary, which we know isn't great at CO level, they are doing it for job security in an unstable and precarious jobs market - which is something you won't get in the private sector.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Sounds like you're in a crap department or there's more to your story.

Nobody I know in CS across 5 different departments is having the issues you describe.

Also, it's incredibly hard to not give you your increment. You'd need to be seriously non-performing. Last person I heard of that that was considered was literally falling asleep at their desk and was on a Performance Improvement Plan.

Promotion is mostly via open competition? Knowing people is no advantage until potentially you start hitting PO grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 megger

Anyone know if there’s any chance of working from home as Garda Civilian? Not based in Phoenix Park if that makes any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Anyone have any tips for Dublin and Dun Laoghaire Education and Training Board clerical officer grade 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

I filled up location preference for Sligo yesterday. OOM is mid 400s.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WHIreland

Going to be honest with this thread with all the negativity and promoting the private sector.. yes the wages are better but employment law is overlooked 70% of the time, no paid leave (sick leave, mat leave etc) and bully tactics the same if not worse. I will never return to the private sector again, to the point I took a 15k decrease (long term nearly 30k) to join Clerical Officers and I'm currently in the EO comp too. I fully expect the same clique stuff, but my current temp role since Jan, the benefits alone I have taken advantage of outweigh my experience in the private sector, I have overcome a lot of demons as a result of my experience in the private sector I'm still not right from.

So everyone's experience is valid, but let's not act like the grass is greener privately. Job security is worth so much in the current economy. If your not happy leave your job, lives way too short to be miserable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Dublin.85

I was given a location today for a Garda station in Dublin. Curious too if it's Flexi time / option to work from home

I agree.. I'm leaving private sector for public. I've been in same retail job for 12 years. (Total of 20 years in retail) It's such a toxic environment. Same dead end job with nowhere to go with little to no pay rise. Very little flexibily. No proper time off over Christmas.. I'm taking a pay cut for civil service which is hopefully more flexible and better for my mental health. With potential for promotions, which I don't have in my current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carolluke1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭slick_rick88

Hi,

I am new to here.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out.

So I got my email from public jobs the other week stating "Clerical Officer 2022 Kerry Batch 3 Location Preference"

I picked my 3 preferences of towns and submitted my form.

But I was wondering is it a good thing to get this notification of location preferences?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bradley linemihler

Does anyone have any idea how long after a successful stage 2 interview you would be waiting before you would get an offer? would it be around 6 weeks or so?

Yes mine was about 6 weeks until the clearance stage started. That took about 3-4 weeks until I was told location and start date.

• Advertisement

Just one more thing as Columbo would say! - I was working as a TCO up until april but took a permanent job somewhere else as it was permanent . I have great references from my TCO roles but will they ask for a reference from my current employer..Im sure they wont be too happy if Im leaving for a civil service job after just a few months!? Thats what worries me..

On the form, you have to give dates and employer contact details. Did you put down your current employer on application form or where you TCO at the time? I'm in the same job 12 years so I only put that down. Maybe coz you already worked for civil service they may not bother with a reference from anyone else. I'm not too sure.

Thanks I was a TCO at the time..so I will just give them my TCO references which lasted from march 2020 to april 2022

Yeah I'd say that you be safe enough doing that. Unlikely they'd question the gap from April. Best of luck giving in your notice with the new crowd.

Have an interview for clerical office role with Education and Training Board (ETB) this week. Can someone who works in civil service or went for an interview please private message me with potential interview questions and tips/advice? Have been working with daa Dublin airport for the last 7 years so want out of shift work!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Just so you are aware the ETB is not civil service. Civil service CO interviews are all carried out by the Public Appointments Service and broadly follow a similar format. I think the ETBs do all their recruitment individually so not sure how similar they are to civil service ones.

Sorry I meant to say public service on my post! The same pay scales as civil service CO’s though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

Hi, I got the same notification for my chosen county, and submitted same last week.

I suppose all we can do is wait and see.

What is your OOM? I'm 382 for my county.

??

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭slick_rick88

Thank you for getting back to me.

Oh I don't like waiting too long haha!

My OOM is 306. What county are you from?

Strange it never said how many towns you could pick up too! I also put it in number order of preference like for example Killarney 1, Tralee 2 etc .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

I've applied for Co. Longford

Advertisement