Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

Unfortunate with the timing of Shefflin going to Galway he definitely would have given us a lift if he came here . By Christ we could do with it . Thankfully shortly the all ireland will be finished and we all start fresh again , it’s hell of a mountain we now have to climb back to where we want to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Today showed we have a big mountain to climb to catch Limerick

Suppose having some silverware in the league (and Ballygunners AI win) is a positive. Limerick showed today that the league means very little in the grand scheme of things (team holiday for the winners a big incentive ? and will be food for thought for the new management team

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Derek McGrath as manager again would be depressing. Lost more games than he won in both league and championship in his 5 years managing Waterford.

We would have to go back to before Gerald McCarthy's time to find a manager with as bad a record. Derek just does not have self belief in himself and resorts to negative hurling which is depressing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I was never anti Derek when he was the manager but would not like to see him back. We need to move forwards and not backwards and Derek has done absolutely nothing in the last few years to suggest he's developed more. It'll be interesting over the next week to see what names are in the mix and whether we go outside or inside the county. We definitely need to find a few more players and strengthen the panel. A lot of talk about us having the best panel was rubbish. Yes we had lots of options and cover but we still need a stronger full back line, cover for Tadhg, another solid midfielder and a marquee scoring forward who guarantees us 3-4 points from play every game. We also need a reliable free taker. Lots for the new management team to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

I was in Croke Park today ; Limerick were deserving winners but if an average looking Kilkenny can get that close, then the chasing pack are closing in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I thought there would be more acknowledgement here of the achievement of the Waterford Senior Camogie team in reaching the All-Ireland semi-final for the first time since 1959 (I was actually at the All-Ireland quarter final that year when Waterford beat London in the old Show Field behind the stand in Fraher Field). They played some excellent, attractive and skillful hurling (at least in the first half, when it mattered) and appeared to be well-coached (which is a good reflection on their manager, Derek Lyons). Whereas in the past they were very dependent on Beth Carton and Niamh Rockett for scores - and they were again the main scorers last Saturday - at least on this occasion all six starting forwards scored as well as midfielder Lorraine Bray and one of the half backs. The No 12, Margaret O'Brien (from Ballinameela, I think, but plays for Modeligo) looks a fine prospect. The switch of Bray to midfield appears to be working very well - she was by far the best player on the field and rowed in with three points (I think).

At the same time you have to take into account how weak Limerick were. They played Tipperary in an early round of the championship as the curtain-raiser to the Waterford/Limerick Munster Championship game in Limerick in April and were well beaten. Waterford subsequently beat Tipperary. Cork will provide very stiff opposition in the semi-final next Saturday in Croke Park (3.15 pm) but there were only four points between them when they met a few weeks ago in the championship. Whatever happens on Saturday, it still marks substantial progress for camogie in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

If i had to put money on it I would say Derek is favorite for the job. He won a national league and got to an AI final which are decent enough acheivements for a Waterford manager. I just hope he dosent do the same messing with sweepers etc second time around, the team has moved on and under Cahill played some fantastic hurling. From listening to analysis this past couple of years i do think he is in touch with the modern game and maybe with a few tweaks his cautious approach might actually benefit us as we have tended to a be a bit more open than we should have been under Cahill. Limerick can do both aspects of the game really well so that should be the template to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Limerick are just an incredible team. Factor in Cian Lynch missed most of the season. They are striving for 4/5 even 6 in a row no doubt about that.

whats depressing from a Waterford point of view is many of these Limerick lads such as Cian Lynch Morrissey Sean Finn Flanagan were on those minor teams of those epic drawn Munster finals of 13 and 14 when we had Aussie, the Bennett’s Conor Gleeson etc etc there was nothing between us all the way up through the age groups. They won u21 in 15 and 17 we won in 16.

But when you see the success they have been able to build on at senior since then it makes you wonder what we could have done differently at senior level to really challenge them for all Ireland honours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

paul kinnerk is a huge factor , he is a serious tactician , plus kiely is a genius of a man they have had some ammount of upheaval behind the scaenas and he has swept it under the carpet , he would be the perfect man manager for Austin Gleeson

We drew 2 munster minors but lost both replays in 13 and 14. We won the AI minor in 13 but Limerick were knocked out in the SF by Galway. In '16 U21 Limerick were beaten in a tight SF vs Tipp. So we never actually beat them along the way. They have an exceptional bunch i must say and seem to have had our measure all the way up. Its stretching it to say we were on a par with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

If Derek McGrath comes back, I reckon our support would dwindle big time at games. A reappointment would divide an awful lot of people and I myself think it would be a backwards step. The game has evolved even further from when Derek was at the helm and he would have to implement a totally new style if he does go back. Playing that crap we had to suffer for 5 years would get us nowhere even faster than it did the last time.

Derek is the ultimate megalomaniac. He misses the power and the attention and he’s desperate for another go at it. If it does come to pass and he is brought back in, we won’t get anywhere near a trophy and that’s a fact.

Thats a bit harsh. Hurling was in a bit of a funny place at the time, switching between the traditional game and the one we see now. say what you want about him but he's not a stupid man theres no way he's play the same style and tactics as he did the 1st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Derek has had his time to manage the Waterford team with very little silverware to show for it at the end of his five - year? reign, with the final year being a total and unmitigated disaster. One league title was not a brilliant return from the players available to him. I agree wholeheartedly with people above saying Derek's appointment would be a backward step. I remember the horror show that was the visionary tactic of a one man full forward line-with poor Shane Bennett or someone else running himself into the ground for nothing. This ultra negative tactic was absolutely dreadful to watch at times and people should remember there were few tears shed for McGrath when he finished up with Waterford, and that's before mentioning some of his pets who were picked day in day out over some lads who were left on the bench despite their performances. (There's a lot to be said for having an outside manager with no ties to a particular club.)

There's no issue with a team playing a sweeper /extra defender when the conditions call for it (playing into a gale for example) but just playing it every single game is an abomination and it's notable that a team playing the sweeper as their main tactic have never won the All Ireland. If anyone from the Waterford Co Board takes any notice of anyone posting here(I doubt this to be honest but anyway) , please, please, please do not give Derek the job again, his way was far too defensive.

Let's get someone in who has a fresh way of thinking and can motivate these lads to get us to the promised land. Derek's had his chance, time for someone else to have a go.

Don't even get me going on Davy Fitz.

/Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I remember that 2013 Munster minor final, we were leading by a few points going into the last few minutes but gave away a few scores and a last minute 21 that they goaled from to tie the game. Our lads heads were probably gone for the replay so no real surprise we lost it. The opposite happened twelve months later where it was ourselves that got a last minute goal to force a replay but again it was Limerick who came out on top. Depressing stuff. You'd wonder if consecutive defeats like that seep into the mindset and make players feel an opposition are unbeatable. It's disappointing since then that they've gone from strength to strength while we have been just as good but only in flashes here and there. Consistency is something we've really struggled with. To be fair, they have had the exceptional Kiely and Kinnerk guiding them through.

Regardless of who gets the managers job, I'll get behind him and give them a chance. I've no doubt Derek would be a controversial choice and split opinions but if he did get it, surely people should at least see how he goes both in terms of style/performances and results? As Stacksofwacks pointed out above, I'd be shocked if he just went back to the same style as 2014-2018, if he did get the job. A lot has changed in the game since then and McGrath isn't stupid, I'd be thinking he'd want to build on what Cahill and Bevans put together.

I'm not for or against Derek by the way, I'm just wanting the best for Waterford hurling and to have someone who can try get the best out of what we have. If getting in Derek meant the squad was split and certain lads not wishing to make themselves available for 2023 then there is no point going with him. Whoever gets the role we need everyone behind it and for us supporters to at least be willing to give the regime a chance.

So far the candidates seem to be Derek, Molumphy, Brendan Cummins, Joxer O'Connor, Eddie Brennan, Tony(?), Queally, Colm Bonnar, Frampton, Hartley, Darragh O'Sullivan and the BG set-up (unlikely if they are going for history with the club)....anyone else? Shefflin would hardly pack it in with Galway even if it meant a handy spin down the road a few nights a week, not to mention he's likely sitting tight seeing what Cody decides to do. Liam Donoghue didn't do too bad with Galway and Tipp were apparently dead set on appointing him before Bonnar last year, he could be an option but unlikely he'd be travelling down from the west a few nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

First things first, congratulations to the ladies on a fabulous achievement especially for such a young side, best of luck against Cork, i give them a right chance and hopefully they can continue on their upward trajectory over the next couple of years.

In terms of a new Management for our Senior team we need to start fresh, not to be looking at the same old faces and certainly not returning to Derek - no disrespect to him but he has way too much baggage with some of this panel and they are already, by all accounts difficult to handle.

Looking outside Waterford is grand , if there were loads of "Stand-out candidates" with CVs to burn, but they they are not, Club and Under-age hurling success are not by any means guarantees of success, and at the first sign of trouble, lads outside can tend to head for the door.

Let's face it, our current crop of players, while being serious talents, need to be more disciplined and stronger mentally, it is going to take possibly two to three years to instill the necessary traits into this panel and those who are likely to come into it over the coming years - for me a combination of Molumphy, O'Connor and Browne, with possibly Frampton staying on for the benefit of his experience over the last three years is our best bet. I think Molumpy's background within the Army and his work with Kerry this year would benefit this panel in where they need to go discipline and mentally wise- I think O'Connor and Browne would be a good pairing to have beside him and i think there would be respect among players and supporters.

I could be totally wrong, but we need to start trying to instill a "Club Style" loyalty and philosophy within the county, where the good of the county comes first and no one player or group is bigger than the collective. Unfortunately, I do not feel our County Board has the fortitude or ability to drive this overhaul, here we are half way through the year and there we are without so much as a "nail" being put into the development of Walsh Park !!!!! And so the "merry-go-round" starts again

after the league was done and we dominated that team I remember a limerick bloke say won’t be any Waterford players on it after the championship and I laughed at him 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Thanks Blueflame. That Stephen Molumphy theory is an interesting one the more I think of it. A disciplinarian and a very very highly rated young manager by anyone that has worked under him.

lacking in real top level experience yet though

He was selector under Cahill for a a while but had to drop out due to army commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

Molumphy over McGrath all day

Like Clockwork for Liam Cahill

Appointed Tipperary boss on a 3 year deal

• Advertisement

He couldn’t wait to move on from us

Bittersweet feeling esp with the way it escalated

All grand from him and Tipp but he leaves us now in a state of disarray

Roll on the league meeting next February/March

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

He was always going to take the Tipp job- his own county- don't be bitter like Tipp when he stayed on last year. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

From a neutral point of view consider yourselves lucky Cahill is gone. He was finished in Waterford after this summer. He overtrained ye bigtime and was happy to hang fellas out to dry publicly. He's a good manager..sharp as a needle but typical Tipp man ,doesn't accept responsibility for his own shortcomings. He ll have his hands full making a team out of that shambles. Hes might be relying on Bubbles and Seamus Callanan again. Waterford have way better players than Tipp at the moment. For me this year is an aberration. Definately ye need a Caroline Currid type figure and everyone rowing the same way but Waterford aren't far off. I was at that match munster final in 2013 . Ye were better than Limerick on the day..more skill but Limerick never gave up and hung in and they had 40,000 people behind them

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Hard not to be a little annoyed esp with the timing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I agree, it is hard not to be a little annoyed but at the end of the day every manager wants to manage their own county. We only ever had him on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

Arragh, **** him, he’s gone. I couldn’t give a **** what he does now. I’m only interested in Waterford.

Thanks for the good times. I hope you make a monumental balls of it in tipp 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ahffsref

get in Stephen Molumphy , Liam Sheedy .break the bank ,whatever back needs breaking ,give it one serious go to get Sheedy ,,,dont mind entertaining previous managers who were spectacular failures ,

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

He gave an extra year to Waterford turning down his own County in the process. Didn't work out, but that was some commitment to give. Wouldn't agree with everything that he did but got a lot right and picked a team up from a low ebb.

To his own personal cost too, theres no doubt he'll be extended less rope in Tipp now than if he took the job last summer. There are fellas gunning for him to fail. Have to respect what he gave to Waterford, along with Bevans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Waterford need a big appointment with a manager who has won All Ireland’s cos there’s prob only 2 more years in that team at their peak. Yer prob sick of Tipp lads but Sheedy and Tommy Dunne would be a fair duo to bring in, whether the interest would be there or not, I think Sheedy would enjoy he challenge of a new county.

Derek, Eddie Brennan, Molumphy all to big of gambles to take with the team that is their at the moment

Advertisement