Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Now hold on here Trump.. there's a difference between someone arriving in Dublin airport and claiming asylum because they fear for their lives from a regime hostile to them in their own state......and.... someone arriving in Dublin airport and claiming asylum because they fear for their lives due to conscription laws necessary to protect their state. One are fleeing persecution and the other are draft dodgers. Plain & simple.

It's outrageous that we will pay a cost for this war in terms of inflation and shelter non combatant refugees whilst a portion of the same citizenry have run away from their responsibilities and expect us to bankroll them as well. Needs immediate examination of all Ukrainain male nationals and those eligible for conscription in Ukraine should be deported back asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Brendan O'Connor show on Radio 1 this morning had a Fiona Hurley from one of the the many taxpayer/international billionaire funded migrant's NGO's in Ireland, NASC, on earlier.

She mentioned on the show that a new EU directive allows accommodation to be built for refugees without applying for planning permission. I was a bit surprised to hear that as it's news to me but even more surprised that Brendan or none of the panel questioned her in any way about it.

Anyone know about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Brendan probably knows there is zero chance refugees will be housed in the leafy suburbs besides RTE's finest so no point questioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Brendan is the most gutless pro establishment clown going.

He will never stick his head out and question anything. He knows he is on a good number between radio, regular newspaper and frequent TV work.

He is of no use to anyone. A conversation enabler , a current opinion fluffer. No use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Dear lord did she seriously say that.

Utter codswallop, the Directive which is TEMPORARY in nature mentions to supply of "Suitable Accommodation" makes no reference to circumventing any laws or planning processes in a member state. Of course this hasn't stopped our government circumventong certain other rules.

Did BOC call this individual out or just let it pass 🤔

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah now what do you think yourself😉?? On the Gavin o Reilly show or whatever its called on NT this morning Helen mcEntee was mentioned as a possible next leader of fg.... Strange times and no media to speak of, that's the sad part

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

I feel the Irish government have gone rogue against their own people, especially the hard working taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hold on yourself.

Poster wants the Irish Authorities to send back any Ukrainian that might be being conscripted. Presumably once you establish that principle, then you need to apply it to the Russian in Dublin who gets called up to do their required service.

Asylum process is to protect people. Not to make determinations on which cause is just for them to be sent to their death for.

I've put in a request to RTE and this Fiona Hurley, who I've never heard of seeking an explanation as to were this planning permission nonsense came from and why wasn't this fact checked, if no responses forthcoming, I chase it up elsewhere, I can think of a few folks in meath will be curious about these comments 😏

• Advertisement

I can't believe this was said and not fact checked, extraordinary but of course nothing surprises me about RTE, official press office for this Government 😏

How would one go about making a request to verify from Rte or this Fiona person?

There's an email address, complaints form etc for RTE, Email for this Fiona persons organisation.

I'll then lash out questions directly of all three on Twitter and add a few journalists as recepients.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Its not above intelligence. Its the willingness off them to follow the media blindly, without question. They are shaped by the media and government spin. While others like me can see the reality.

OK time for a cold shower, christ it's muggy, Night all 😏

Theres nothing in the new Directive as far as I can see but not needing planning permission for accomodation for asylum seekers was brought in under Alan Kelly IIRC, the cavaet is that the accomodation has to be built on State owned lands. The Dept of Housing was at pains to say when Rodericks new plan to end DP was announced that no State land was being given up to it, I remember being shocked about them not need PP when I read this article last year. Shocking that no appeal is even allowed, I wonder what Government TD would allow this to happen in their area and still hope of getting re-elected

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/officials-pushed-for-state-to-buy-direct-provision-centres-from-private-firms-1.4678208

"“In exploring the model of more State centres, we need to agree and acquire a capital budget,” the briefing stated.

“State land does not require planning permission for new centres as the Minister has a power under the Acts, whereby the OPW can grant the planning permission and this is usually a three-month process. It is not subject to appeal.”

The document says that State centres “can also have a bigger footprint as it will be a permanent fixture in the locality”. In recent years a number of plans for private providers to open direct provision centres in regional towns have been met with protests from locals and anti-immigration activists."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,337 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So any cowboy can come I and build some shack of a place now that doesn’t have to meet any planning regs…

so people, working in it, visiting it and living in it basically are at the good word of the builder that it’s been done responsibly and safely .

‘state owned lands’ is a smart assed way around it, because if the state buy a 3 acre plot of land off a farmer ….state land…

absolute kip of a country… our politicians and administrators really showing their true colours now…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Ha not like builders here are not trustworthy. Is it 2.8 bn were on the hook for. IIRC most of it's like fire safety and that. Can't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,921 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yep, it is real.

The regulations, which came into effect on 23 June 2022, provide that certain classes of temporary development, including residential accommodation, undertaken by or on behalf of a State authority, to provide protection to displaced persons from Ukraine, will be exempt from the provisions of the Planning and Development Act (other than environmental considerations).

• Advertisement

This had Nothing to do with the original EU directive actiivated in March and drawn up 21 years ago which is being questioned .

The Guest claimed under the Directive planning permission was not required which was factually incorrect.

Infact it was essentially a Stroke pulled as there was no such mechanism in the original EU Directive, which never mentioned planning permission, let alone allow for it to be ignored and the government knew it was in trouble and would essentially need to provide, essentially glorified portacabins.

Thankfully there are conditions attached and essentially only land owned by local authorities will be used.

This legislation only came into force in June 2022 but I can see how this was being conflated with the original EU directive, both are linked and essentially its an add on.

OK, time for some Humble Pie .

I had time to listen back to the BOC show this morning and in fact Fiona Hurly did not say it was part of the original EU directive and clearly said this issue with no planning was only added last June . So I have to apologise and should have listened to the show before commenting.

Infact she was actually quite measured and made some quite good points , even calling out another silly guest who repeated this narrative "Sure they Look like us" BS.

So, I'm having Humble pie for Breakfast instead of weetabix. I'll follow up by apologising to her and RTE.

The show spent some time on the crisis, for those who want to listen back, link attached but to hear the particular part being referred to , skip to 40 minutes in for about 15 minutes .

Dempo 😏

Hard to know if this is just another excuse but it does shine a light onto the need for vetting , this said its rather curious, if infact true why so many didn't engage with Garda Vetting but I'm sceptical the numbers not engaging are accurate. Before this crisis, Garda Vetting in many cases took months anyway.

It also shines a light on something else, I raised concerns about , the carry on on FB and other SM platform's were people are essentially making contact and vice versa regarding accommodation with apparently NO Vetting taking place and in most circumstances young children involved. Literally total strangers getting access to children with no Vetting, It's a recipe for disaster and it astonishes me no one in charge, Government, NGO's , Gardai and the likes of FB even remotely concerned about this accommodation seeking through SM platform's .

Some will say its desperation, I say its Negligence and deeply disturbing

Who is your man declaring that we have reached the top of the housing market and the the market will sort itself out now. He mentions inflation but not that building materials also are affected by said inflation.

Property has always been a hedge against inflation

What a bold yet uneducated statement to make on national airwaves.

I was focusing on Fiona Hurly but guests names mentioned ar the start of the podcast and yes an ignorant buffoon whoever he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

A bar + restaurant owner in a seaside resort saying the government taking all the hotel beds in the area is hammering tourism. Not to worry, just rip the bar out n stick a few bunk beds in- jump on the gravy train lad!

Independent.ie: Tourism town criticises refugee housing strategy as local hotels are fully booked out.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tourism-town-criticises-refugee-housing-strategy-as-local-hotels-are-fully-booked-out-41847140.html

Yes, Youghal, one of the first Tourist towns to loose Hotels for tourism , if I recall at the time, 2 of 3 hotels there filled with Ukrainian refugees, not sure about the 3rd.

The people interviewed comparing this to how Covid lockdown restrictions effected their business, saying this is worse , obviously I'm not sure that's entirely true but no doubting major Tourist towns have been impacted by the loss of hotels as too has their local economies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd believe it, there was a few grants n schemes on the go for hospitality during COVID which took the sting out of it.

I'm not on Facebook but the missus was saying there was tourists saying they was to change their itinerary as there was no hotels available in West Donegal due to government block booking them.

My guess is that the Ukrainian refugees was such a clear-cut case of people fleeing for their lives when their country was invaded. Whereas with other "refugees" who don't claim asylum in the first safe country, who don't arrive at legal points of entry, who are overwhelmingly young men, and who seem to pick and choose which countries they want to go to like they're ordering off a McDonalds' menu, who have among their cohort terrorists (Manchester bombing) and rapists (Cologne NYE 2015) there is a lot more scepticism, and people rightly or wrongly care less about them.

• Advertisement

O, I can confirm Many hotels saw advance bookings for 2022 were Grim and the loss of substantial covid grants meant the Ukrainian refugee crisis was not just a way out but a cash cow waiting to be milked.

I've also mentioned, these hotels have not only benefited substantially , they've also increased profitably by way of reduced operating cost, marketing expenses and less staff requirements, many were also, bizzarely compensated for alledged loss of revenues and profits .

A win win and meanwhile those hotels not being used , lashed up prices, Gouging the few tourists who came and indeed the few staycationers who foolishly decided to holiday in Ireland.

What could have possibly gone wrong 🤔😏

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement