Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB account opening - 3 weeks no sign of it?

• 12-07-2022 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

With KBC exiting the Irish market, I decided to move my accounts to PTSB.

I submitted an account opening application via their app about 3 weeks ago now. To this day, there has been no sign of this bank account. They have not reached out to me for further information nor opened the account. From past experience with other Irish banks, it never takes this long for an account to be opened.

Has anyone experience something similar?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I couldn't stand staying longer than 5 weeks with PTSB. Indeed inefficient, and my branch even incompetent. To me the alp registration didn't work - couldn't recognise documents so I had to go to branch. They have mixed up my appointment dates twice... When I decided to close an account and posted them a signed account closure form, they have asked me to come to a brach as the form had to be signed in a presence of garda. When I went to the branch, they have told they lost my letter so I had to write a new closure request. A staff member left me for a lunch break but another came shortly who has asked me to show an ID again. She instantly remembered having my posted letter in her own drawer (staff seem not exchanging a work related info so operations side isn't fluent and there's a huge gap for staff errors). So she then scraped the other one... Took me 3 weeks to get the right appointment and a branch visit again to close with around 30 min just to sign the form. Hopefully, your branch is going to be better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes same thing happened to me. Applied via the app back in April. They said they’d be in touch. Never heard a thing. Eventually gave up waiting and went with AIB. Account was set up within minutes and card arrived a few days later. The fees are awful but probably worth it for the better app and banking experience. I don’t think PTSB want anymore customers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They are fairly slow at everything alright and will not take the initiative for anything. Once set up though their interface is good however I dread the days I have to call them about anything. 30 mins on hold seems to be common

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FlippyFloppy22

I ended up ringing them because weeks with no news is inappropriate.

Apparently, there is a "hold" on my account because they needed to clarify one line in my address. The customer service agent told me this comment was put on my application at the end of June for someone to reach out to me and no one ever did. The customer service agent advised they'd highlight this and I'd be getting a call back. It's almost been a week and this "call back" hasn't happened yet.

I was told to drop by the branch in case I don't get a call back. Honestly, it's a big no for me. They don't bother to do their job - why on earth would I inconvenience myself to go to the branch to tell them to do their job? Utter nonsense. I'm not desperate enough to take time off to inconvenience myself. They're not doing their job, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

If the onboarding is this bad, I can't trust the bank to operate my accounts properly to be fair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Perhaps it escaped you, but every customer of the two banks are in the process of finding a new bank.... on top of this most of these customers are not going to generate much profit if any for the banks. The reality is that no bank is going to invest much in what is likely to be a loss making process.

Now I have said this before, but anyways: It is in your interests to sort out your financial affairs, the banks are not obliged to do business with you nor is there any guarantee that you will be offered the same services e.g: overdrafts, credit limits etc... A lot of people seem to be leaving it to the last minute and that may not work out well - a big rush being service by employees who are about to loose their jobs and on the other side over worked staff is not a receipt for success. I fully expect that some. people will discover that the banks are not interested in doing business with them and they will be forced to accept the minimal bank services - a payment account.

My advice to people is to make sure you get your affairs sorted out ASAP so that you have time to react to any unexpected situation because once the banks close that is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 FlippyFloppy22

I'm not entirely sure what your post exactly refers to as it's quite unrelated to my query. I am not seeking advice on how to sort out my financial affairs.

KBC has not yet provided a formal notice to close my account. I reached out to PTSB in anticipation of KBC's future notice. I'm in no rush whatsoever as KBC bank will give its customers 3-6 months to shut their accounts.

To avoid fees I recommend using a credit card for daily transactions is with AIB debit card it's a 20c per online purchase or chip&pin in a shop. Very rarely but happens that Visa or Mastercard system is down so I got my credit card with someone else, just to avoid having both Visa cards. Also, I heard that AIB credit cards' team aren't that great so I just avoided that too.

Imagine a high number of people sorting stuff out at the same period of time. You're forgetting that it's up to you to open a new bank account and giving out for them being busy and not being interested in doing a business with you is a poor judgement in this context. Just get an account somewhere else as obviously they, the bank, doesn't want to have business with you. Good luck with your attitude.

This forum is all about helping people with their financial affairs and nothing else, if you are not interested then fine.

The thing is people need to start dealing with reality - the banks probably make less than 50 euro per annum on the average per customer, if even that, so your business really is not very important to anyone unless you are buying significant additional products. Banking has become a commodity industry - nobody cares who the buy from or sell to, so long as the price is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,009 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I have to agree and yours and many others I might add experiences is in stark contrast of the nonsense we're being told about extra staff being put on to cope with demand and whilst off topic, it would appear opening a bank account under the Virtue signalling process takes but a few minutes with essentially NO documentation required.

I'd been trying to help an elderly couple who are neighbours navigate the process, 55 years of banking in Ireland, retired, have no need of additional services or Advice and my lord the hoops they were put through. Absolutely disgraceful.

I should point out I assisted with forms, ID requirements, app download with the permission of their son who's abroad, he's absolutely flabbergasted as was I.

Thankfully now resolved but took almost 3 months and only after interventions.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement