Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I reckon he wins the fed ex

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Wouldn’t say he played well today !! He played conservatively and I think with Hovland dropping a shot he thought he would just have to beat him .

Himself and Hovland had the worse scores of the Top 15 today and that course was there for the taking. I reckon if he was 2 or 3 shots behind going into final round he would have shot 66 at least ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I don’t like St. Andrews for the open. Not enough jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nobody grows up dreaming of winning the Fed Ex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

You would really wonder what is the reason for the dislike of McElroy especially in the south of Ireland. Harrington is supposed to b a legend. Lowry gets very little criticism even thought he has not won for 3 years. Power gets great praise for making top 50. You could make the argument that McElroy is the best sportsman that this island has ever produced. It always reminds me of Robbie Keane. Not from the gaa part of the island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭riddles

Rory did great can’t legislate for someone else shooting like that

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭patob

Course was completely flat, no wind to mention so ideal conditions for Rory's game. Final round of 70 was never going to get it done and putting sharpness deserted him. As a spectacle, disappointing to see St Andrews so defenceless this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Huh? Cant legislate for shooting your worst round by 2 shots on the last day when the pins were in their easiest positions? Hmm. Someone from the chasing pack was always likely to shoot at least a 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think you're right he played Hovland when he should have played the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I am happy he's contending. Delighted for him he seems to be enjoying golf again which is half the battle.

Truly gutted as to win thr 150th would have been special. Yes it was easier than most majors but in 10 years time no one will say how easy it was they will just remember the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

Ok , your right he played well . Shot 70, one of the worst scores of the top 20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well for me it is because Mcllroy has an in built cockiness, and is arguably more talented than all the other golfers you mention.

His flicking between British one minute, Irish the next and British another day is also a factor for other people. But the latter does not seem to hold as much relevance at this stage.

My elderly father loves his Golf and always tunes in to 'watch Rory' if he is in any competition. Loves Golf etc. But in the last few years I have even noticed may fathers attitude has changed towards 'Rory'.

He has got annoyed with him for blowing competitions, 'making an eejit' of himself as he puts it. And not focusing. Yet my father seems to only have a consistent 'Grá' for Lowry at this stage. He does not get annoyed with him- half as much, if ever.

Now I did not bother asking the auld fella what he would say after this loss. Because I know what he would say. 'Rory couldn't putt'. So I assume he will not be half as frustrated as watching him, on previous times.

Personally I think Mcllroy did well and nearly did enough to win, his gameplan was not to do anything stupid, it nearly worked. Plenty of times in the past you could correctly accuse Mcllroy of 'choking' based on the situation and his talent. But on this occasion it was not because Mcllroy 'made an eejit of himself' as in previous Major tournaments.

You reference Robbie Keane, but I think that is a poor example. Why? Because Robbie Keane consistently turned up when it mattered on big days. Mcllroy wilted on big days more often than not. But ironically the 2022 Open was not one of them, even though he lost this time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kerry_man15

Looks like another choke to me. Shooting 70 in the final round was a poor score given the conditions. He shot one of the worst scores in the top 20 today. He should have been able to shoot 67/68 for a tie or outright win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

McIlroy didn’t choke. He hit every green in regulation on a Sunday in a major. Smith had an absolute day out for himself and fully deserved it. Mcilroy went bogey free and came up short. It happens.

This “choking” thing is tiresome at this stage. Choking is blowing a lead, he didn’t blow anything he just got gunned down by Smith who played better. If the winning score was -14 or -15 I’d say McIlroy blew it but look at the winning score, -20 and a tie for the lowest open score ever.

Though I thought he played well, over half the 83 players in the field shot a lower score on Sunday, having seen the way players were scoring before he teed off, it would have been fair of him to assume that he could be caught and that he needed a good score to protect his lead. I wouldn’t call it a choke, more a failure to launch. Having said that, -18 is a great Open score so I’m sure this one hurts more than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think the reason McIlroy gets a hard time is because he was known from a young age and was expected to become a top professional. People saw early he was a once in lifetime talent. So there was an expectation he'd be up there challenging for majors, the fact he won 4 early reinforced that. It may feel now to many he's underachieving

With the likes of Lowry there was no guarantee he'd even make it on the tour, many would never have expected a major or becoming a World Top 50 player. So it feels he's in bonus territory in some ways

Plus I think people look and still see Lowry as one of the lads. You could see him wandering into a gaa game, people can relate their life a bit more to him

McIlroy on the other hand is a global face, I'm sure he can't go many places with being recognized or hassled. So he's seen on another level and probably judged harder as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Hard to disagree with anything there. I think McIlroy’s career should not be defined by the last 8 years without a major. How many great players and hall of famers have less majors than him? He’s still young, he has plenty of time and the only reason he hasn’t added to his major haul since 2014 is because they’re so bloody hard to win.

McIlroy has had a phenomenal career to date and it can only get better. He said it himself that his legacy is already secured and he’s a hall of famer already. I think he’ll get at least two more majors before he’s done in 15 years or so. Two doesn’t seem like a big number in that space of time, but it absolutely is.

I don’t think “because they’re so bloody hard to win” is an all encompassing explanation as to why he hasn’t won a major since 2014, you should add to that the fact that at times he has scuttled his chances by playing poorly, and at other times like this weekend he just didn’t perform well enough on Sunday when all those around him had and the course seem to be playing relatively easy, had he done so, he would be the Champion golfer this morning.

He played well, just not well enough to get the job done, he didn’t need a great round to win yesterday, above average would been enough. Winning on Sunday should not have been hard for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Agree with Dav010'a response to this post. There are many reasons for Rory not winning a major over the last 8 years, not least his own shortcomings, but it can't be said that the only reason is that they're so hard to win!

The other big assumption is 'McIlroy has had a phenomenal career to date and it can only get better. That just may not happen and he may have peaked in terms of major wins. Most of the guys who've won multiple majors in the last 10-20 years have won them in spurts and not won again. I'm thinking Harrington, Koepka, Spieth as examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

another factor aswell compared to other era's is that the competition is so good right now. A player isn't going to dominate like tiger anymore, you will have fits and spurts like Keapka, spieth etc. We have 4 first time major winners this year. The only criticism of McIlroy i would have was when he was putting well on thursday and saturday he should've went lower, one of the two 66's should've being 63 64, i think he had a bad putt for a eagle on one hole and only birdie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think people's expectations were that Rory would be more than "just" a hall of fame player, rather that he was destined to be one of the greats of the game. There are a lot of guys in the hall of fame, not too many true greats.

Those expectations were fairly realistic 9 years ago imo. I don't think anyone sensible would have imagined he would get close to Tiger's haul. But double figures in Majors wouldn't have been an outrageous suggestion at that time.

We're now talking about him potentially matching Seve, or Phil and Faldo. All great achievements obviously, but I think the golfing world had sights on him getting close to, and maybe beyond, the likes of Watson, Hogan and Player on 9.

I think these 8 years and particularly Augusta have to be factored into his legacy. How can they not. It may be unfair or harsh to say it has been a case of a wasted talent, but he certainly hasn't lived up to the way he took the golfing world by storm.

He does have plenty of time and I would expect him to add a few more but if he's really honest with himself, I don't think he can be happy on four.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The world no.1 shot 74, the world no.2 shot 70, the world no.3 shot 70, the world no.4 missed the cut, the world no.5 shot 70.

These are the rankings prior to this weekends results.

Fact of the matter is that if Rory didn't have to go for eagle on the last he almost certainly would have tied Tiger's record for lowest tournament score in the Open.

Fact is that record was broken, and had to be broken to beat Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Fact is he didn’t win again, and it was his to lose with a half decent round when he’s back to his best form. I’d say he’s sick as a dog this morning he just went too conservative to avoid any big mistakes, good idea at Augusta or Carnoustie, not a course he was destroying all week. He’ll be back but this will sting that’s for sure. His post round interview was very mature though I think he’s finally growing up and he’ll learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You see you are only looking at the last round. If he shot the 70 in rounds 1,2 or 3 there wouldn't be a word about it.

You have to look at all four days not just round 4. If somebody shot 70, 70, 70, 60 they wouldn't win this year's Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Ah look , he shot his worst round on the last day by 2 shots when the pins were in the easiest positions for the week. Thats the pertinent fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

If my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle, I feel for him he let it slip away but the good news is he is back to his best the last six months so I’m sure he’ll get more chances next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Did stenson not get to -20 the year he beat Phil

it does put the hysteria about st andrews in perspective, faldo shot -18 to win in 1990, similar conditions

I think overall, the quality of the field has gotten much better as a result of the uptick in the game post tiger

Plus tech has come on massively (not just clubs) allowing people to analyze the game in a way that you were only guessing at back then

It turned from a feel game to one based on science

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

He's only a Master's win away from being considered one of the greatest, and today might make that less likely but he'll have a chance there if he can keep his current form up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Easy to say with hindsight that he played too conservatively. If he had gone more aggressive and ended up in a gorse bush, the hurlers on the ditch would be out in force saying he lost the head, should have played more conservatively, what an eejit.

This is the best he has played over 4 rounds in a major since he last won one. He may have even played better than he did in some of those he won.

His strategy for the last round didn't even look that conservative to me. In any case, the way he played the final round would see him win most of the time. A few putts didn't drop. Smith played great and putts dropped for him. He had a wobble on the 17th which could have easily cost him the championship but didn't and he was a deserving winner as would Rory have been. That's golf.

Advertisement