Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Course you will have begrudgers and tbf its a valid point that rugby suffers from. But if Ireland win a rugby world cup it would greatly enhance the profile of the sport here , ive no doubt in that, we love a bit of success. England went nuts when they won it and theyd be used to more sporting success than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That 8 point swing when Sexton hit the bar and Jordan went super saiyan had me in the depths of "here we go again".

Thank Beirne for Tadhg God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

Great, the thread has ben infiltrated by a bunch of GAA heads :/ ...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Just a point on the championship minutes where NZ mounted a serious comeback. I think everybody was silent in the stadium and almost stunned by the lead Ireland built up. I believe that seeped into even our own minds and we went out to play to defend that lead.

Bad mistake. When you get ahead and you are the underdog in the fixture you cannot let up on the level you set to build that lead. A sniff of doubt will be preyed upon by the best teams and they will do what NZ did to us.

Rory McIlroy went out in his final round on the weekend to defend a lead and he ended up losing by not taking risks and forcing home the advantage. A better coached NZ team might have scented blood and gone for the jugular when we were on the ropes in the second half after scoring three tries.

As a match we kind of cantered through the first half and tries unfolded before us. it was almost like we didn’t need to force home tries and advantages they just presented to us and we took them. A better opponent in a do or die game will not be so docile. We need to learn from this close shave and never let up a lead in future particularly if the same happens at the World Cup. We need to continue taking risks and keep intensity higher than we did in the first twenty of the second half! If you defend a lead you will inevitably lose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭joedamuss

There's no such thing as friendlies in rugby that's bloody soccer shite talk !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Technically there are friendlies but it's not like the friendlies you see in soccer. When people say "it's just a friendly", they are looking at it through the soccer lens, where friendly games are a bit of a joke.

International soccer dances to the tunes of the clubs, in rugby it's the other way round. Test rugby still reigns supreme, these international "friendlies" will take precedence over any club game.

Some of them seem to be classed as them? Some of the warm ups before world cups? Still called "tests" of course. Like the cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Absolutely. The issue has not been losing, but in particular, the nature of the losses, I think. If we put our best foot forward and are properly prepared, and then play to our best levels people will accept the outcome IMO.

Yeah thats a good distinction, often the soccer friendlies the clubs would hit the roof if their top players play too much minutes. Uefa did well with the nations league , its a bit shite but least its gotten rid of a lot of friendlies. I was at an ireland v canada rugby game a few years back and it had a very friendly feel to it but im sure that was down to the quality of opposition.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sport is difficult psychologically. Of course you should continue a winning strategy when on top but there realistically is no way to completely dominate an opponent for the full 80 minutes. There is always a spell of dominance for every team.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ye, agreed.

There were 3 key moments in the game in the second half for me:

1. Herring's try, it was vital we scored a try in the second half and his try came at an important moment. It was **** or get off the pot time.
    2. Beirne's counter ruck
    3. Carbery's interception, which is ultimately what sealed the win. A great read from someone who has been criticized heavily for his defensive work.

I was convinced we would lose too after that 8-point swing. It's probably fair to say every previous Irish team would have lost in that spot? I imagine New Zealand was favoured by in-play betting markets at that moment. That's the bit that is so incredible. Before the tour, we would have assumed that the last 20 minutes of the 3rd test would have been a tough period for us, given our depth and availability issues in a couple of crucial positions. Instead, the lads finished the stronger. I'm still wrapping my head around it tbh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Think that's harsh tbh, I don't think we went into our shells at all. NZ are never going to play an 80 minute test at home and not have spells where they're on top. We saw that in the second half and they capitalised brilliantly. What you want to see from Ireland in that sort of scenario is that we can ride it out and get back on top ourselves, and we did exactly that. We finished the game deep in NZ territory, not camped on our line in last ditch defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kuang1

You're forgetting the game in Chicago.

Very similar to Saturday's game. I can distinctly remember that stomach churning feeling when they came back at us. Then Henshaw went over.

The belief and confidence required for big games has been in this team for a long time now.

Obviously we haven't see it in every single match since Chicago, but it's roots go back that far imo.

Worryingly, there is a very direct correlation between days we've had that belief and Sexton being on the pitch, versus days we've capitulated and him not being on the pitch.

(Japan game in 2019, 1st test in NZ after he went off etc.)

We beat England in London to win that Grand Slam, and I'd go so far as to call it orgasmic. However, all of the miraculous achievements of that fabulous year left a bitter taste in the mouth as New Zealand was hopping on us in Japan 18 months later. I understand the old school view of the Six Nations as sacrosanct, my best mate used to go to all those awful Five Nations games in the early 90s. I appreciate that being competitive in that arena is a big deal. Like everyone else, I gloried in the triple crowns, championships, and grand slams during our second phase of professional rugby. But the world cup failures test my patience, and it's obvious when those tournaments roll around that they are the true test.

So we should think bigger now. That is where we differ, I think. We've consistently ranked as a top 5 side worldwide for over half a decade. We want to win the Six Nations, but we also want to win the world cup. We will need to balance the two. We should because we're good enough to have those sorts of ambitions.

Now maybe I'm wrong here. Maybe the lesson from this tour is that Sexton can hold up, and we have the right amount of quality and recovery protocols to push on in consecutive weeks with our best team. If that's true, we just plow on next February, maybe start Carbery and a couple of other depth pieces this November, and run it for 2023. Every competitive game with our best XV just win our way through. If I was wrong and that worked...Jaysus, what a year in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Watched the game again last night from the NZ Sky Sports. They were surprisingly unbiased(relatively speaking) and really rated some of the Irish performances during the game. No real gripes on the yellow for Porter compared to last week's red. Or about Aki's cleanout under the posts that could have been looked at a bit more.

They really went on about Irelands physically, which was the only worry, as we tend to lose that advantage when facing France or SA.

An amazing game and series to watch and enjoy.

The only downside is that the Kiwis have just over a year to fix things for the world cup.

But for now, I'm happy to enjoy it. My Dad is finally getting over the 10-10 in Lansdowne back in '73.

The Chicago game is a fair shout actually, but there was a lot of emotion swirling around the team at that time in the aftermath of Foley’s death. But you’re right that the game had a similar pattern.

Sexton is a warrior and exerts a massive influence. He’s adding to a group of top athletes in their respective sports who are recently going on beyond the accepted age barrier while playing at a very high level. If he can keep this up all the way to France it will be an extraordinary personal achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Reading this from Farrell in the IT says it all for me:

"“Are we anywhere near where we want to be? We’re not. We’re definitely not. You might think that’s me just throwing that out there but it’s the truth. You’ve got this fellow (Sexton). We’ve got people telling us to keep him at home (before we go) so we can build something. But what an opportunity it would have been to see how it’s properly done, to prepare a team, to be a world class player and to believe so much that little old Ireland can beat New Zealand in New Zealand. That’s why you bring your best players, so they can grow the group.

As to the notion of Ireland peaking too soon before a World Cup again, Farrell countered: “It’s about growth and learning the lessons from the tour so it’s up to us to make sure that we keep on going. But let’s not be scared by a little bit of success, y’know. Hitting the straps too early again? Couldn’t be any further from our minds. The only focus for us is: Keep pushing forward.”

I think we can leave it there as regards the approach that we will take over the next 15 months or so.

---

Reading that got me giddy so I'm watching the game again on that NZ Rugby Vidz Sky Sport link.

The magnamity and balance from the Kiwi commentary and pundits...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s not just the commentary on match day. The quality of the discussion in general is so much better than what we are used to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Moved

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Advertisement

Ireland v Canada would definitely have a "friendly" feel to it. If Ireland put out their strongest team, we'd almost put a 100 points on them. Whats the point of that. Matches like them are treated as obvious opportunities to develop talent. I had a quick look at that Irish team and around 1/3 of them would be first choice. That match would still be a capped test but, as you said, it's very much down to the quality of the opposition.

However for the most part over the past three weeks; Ireland, New Zealand, England, Australia, Wales, South Africa, Scotland and Argentina were putting forward their strongest opposition with the intention of winning. There was absolutely nothing "friendly" about the NZ v Ireland series in particular.

So as others said, it can be somewhat subjective.

The quality of the Irish rugby media is a major bugbear of mine. It's either ex-pros offering absolute banality (Quinlan etc) or the smug arrogance of the Off the Ball 'journalists' etc. I saw a clip of Ruaidhri O'Connor going on about how we 'emasculated' New Zealand rugby over recent weeks and it honestly makes me cringe.

These guys are the exact same guys who are the first in line to kick the team whenever results go slightly the wrong way for us. It's all boom or bust with them.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

"Emasculated" FFS that's insulting. There should be an unwritten rule not to use words like that, it's disrespectful and unsporting imho.

Actually the utter disrespect from Sexton to go for a crossbar challenge for the absolute craic is disgraceful

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The WC is one tournament. No bitter taste for me as one win should not be disqualified because of another loss. Especially a Grand Slam

What you mean we should think bigger? Of course we want to win the WC, but that doesn't mean we should forget about everything else, the only reason we are in the top 5 in the World is because of the exceptional performance of the team over the years and not just in the WC

The lesson from the tour is not that Sexton can hold up. I knew he could hold up already.

People are obessed with giving players cap, if Carbary deserves to start he will start. End of story. If we find another 10 in the mean time they can take the jersey off Sexton and they will start. if not Sexton starts.

The Molecast done a great review of teams what have won the WC, the same 23 more or less is start to finish. Only swapping for the tier 2 nations. All the big games its the same 23. Injuries to critical players and we are gone, same with every nation

It’s also completely out of kilter with how New Zealand are talking about and analysing the game. The Breakdown YouTube shared above is a brilliant watch - they are so measured and cerebral in their analysis of all aspects.

Well the WC is THE tournament. We can agree to disagree on how our performances there define a team, but for me it should be the ultimate expression of our World Cup cycle. Anything great that comes before (like this test series) should set us up to be the best version of ourselves in the big show.

I think this debate offers extremes on both sides. I’m guilty of it - of course Joel Schmidt and Declan Kidney et al wanted to win a World Cup. However, there have been obvious spots in world cups where we have needed to give a guy minutes they have not been ready for. You can say you already “knew” Sexton could hold up but he didn’t hold up the last World Cup. And he will be 38 for the next one.

But it’s not just about Sexton and 10. We may need a prop to come in who hasn’t started a big game as part of our best pack. Ideally these lads would have taken the pain of it before.

That’s the issue here I think around your argument. Yes, England in 2003 went around beating everyone the 18 months before the World Cup. But New Zealand in 2011 had to play a lad who was in and out of the team at Bath to win. Our issue is that our depth becoming an issue scenarios are likely and predictable. It therefore follows that failing to give lads big starts who you are probably going to have to call on in the tournament is negligent. You can say you’re still trying to win in those scenarios, but it rings hollow.

I think it is fair to say that we prioritised this test series and it was a great achievement to win it. It was however 3 more big games where we didn’t start depth options at key positions. We can decide now in Autumn that we want to do the Southern trifecta in a calendar year. And those games will be gone. Then Wales away and England and France at home and then we’re out of road. And if that thing that is likely going to happen happens and we have our pants down for a World Cup quarter final…

Getting the balance right is so difficult. Farrell has a massive job and he’s done incredibly well so far. But we’re asking a huge amount of him and the squad if they can never approach a big game less than 100% full on. That’s all I’m really saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The WC is not THE tournament. It is THE tournament every 4 years. THE tournament is the 6 nations every year.

If the NZ, SA teams etc had the 6 nations they wouldn't be so obsessed with the WC. Hence why you see NZ trying to do everything to create a tournament to take away from the 6 nations and the SA have figured out they can't beat it so just join it.

In regards to the tour, we found a potential number of new players for the team in the Maori match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

And if that thing that is likely going to happen happens and we have our pants down for a World Cup quarter final…

I keep seeing this and it's nonsense. Us getting our pants pulled down in 2019, had nothing to with us not giving fringe players enough game time.

Advertisement