Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I think the biggest compliment a limerick man can give is that we "out kilkennyed" kk (and that's not yerra talk). We got the start a team like kk would have loved - and yet ye stuck around. We're very proud of our lads and how they ground it out to the end. Scant consolation to you guys but it was a game for the neutrals - no dirt and great scores from play and only a few frees with some great ball striking. Instincts from myself were that it was probably a 60:40 game ref wise in favour of limerick (so from your perspective it was probably worse)- I've not watched the game back but I'd have given two or three frees more in real time to you. Huw lawlor shackled gillane big time.

Also, fair play to the KK fans on the hill for staying so long after the whistle. My instinctive reaction after the game was of surprise that so few people had left the ground - no moral victories in this game but that was one of the most truly fought finals in a long time.

Post edited by Browney7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I think we will look back on this and say what could have been .Limerick got scores easier but we definitely left a few behind us thought lyons had a poor game overall and seemed to react to the crowd.

Not going to be to hard on any Kilkenny players but we still need to be honest .the Limerick puckout ripped us to pieces .it was a simple bunch and break Hegarty and hayes seemed to be able to dictate where they wanted it .

We may get blanchfield bedded in because as much as a hero. and he would die for that jersey. paddy deegen is not a natural defender. he will be on the team somewhere but Hegarty got a free run today.

Still positive year some will call for change and freshness in our backroom but there is something in this group that makes me think they are very tight .find 4 or5 from u20 and add to the panel and we go again

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

First off congrats to limerick, a great side who are just a great great team, everything about them is just brilliant. On the KK side I have to say I left croke park yesterday proud as can be, I think any other team in the country Would have been bet well yesterday especially after HT. Look I’m not the biggest fan of deegan but he gave it his absolute all and there’s no defending hegraty with that ball into him and he scored 3 points.Can’t believe their puck outs destroyed us so much but again hegraty and hayes brilliant players, they got their scores an awful lot easier than we did and congrats to them. In the first half I thought the ref was absolutely brutal the amount of the two point swings was crazy but died with our boots on. In all my years I’ve never seen anybody as good as TJ, said it many time before mightn't score from play but head and shoulders above everybody on our team. Lawor just brilliant too. Look left it behind us esp with that R. Reid and Mullen wides but look can’t always go right. Brian Cody the 🐐.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Its hard to see why David Blanchfield was dropped after the Westmeath match he should have been on earlier. Was there something said between Deegan Cody yesterday when Paddy was taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Ref was grand. Let the game flow and no big calls to make.. and I'd be no fan of his either. Anything else is whinging. Blanchfield might well be the foil for hegarty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Agree with all of that..blanchfield and Kenny need a year to bulk up a bit but both have great potential.

I know we missed a few scorable shots.but so did they.

I really believe the.best team.wins the all Ireland every year and yesterday was no different

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kentu

Gutted for the team yesterday gave it their all as they always do....We definitely panicked a bit with our puckouts giving ball long even when a man short was free, one time in 2nd half yesterday Eoin Murphy was coming out with ball Adrian Mullen was in a lovely position but ball went long and ended up with limerick point...Very few defenders would have lived with Hegarty yesterday.

Post edited by kentu on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I haven't watched it back or watched the Sunday game so I don't know who said what. The Limerick people I met were nice people and well done to them. They won it without Lynch nearly all year. They're on par with what we had the last decade. it's a serious team that will be there for a few more years.

Our lads can't be knocked. We were 12-1 I think to win the all Ireland earlier In the year and we went toe to toe with them for 70 mins.The hegarty goal was the killer and we had to chase the game from the first few minutes. It was an unbelievable strike to be fair but we had to work harder for our scores. Any time we got it level they responded. Hayes,morrissey and hegarty they all popped up with some outrageous scores.

Richie Reid and mullen had two chances infact the mullen chance If I remember correctly he had Hogan inside alone. Its ifs and buts but Limerick were just that little better today and got their scores easier.

Its definitely not the time for talking about it but we could see 4 or 5 lads now bow out and they owe us nothing. I was delighted Hogan got a great score its a pity he didn't get more ball. Wally made the goal and done well.i thought fogarty would of seen more game time we needed defensive cover.

We need the lads who have being in and out of the team to kick on and nail down a place.Im thinking of Billy ryan,leahy,donnelly,Alan Murphy.

Mossy has got a lot of goals this year and mullen had a good year.Butler done very well for us. I thought he was a little harsh on eoin cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Honestly not trying to be clever with the benefit of hindsight but young Blanchfield looked so good all through the league and in a position where we needed someone with his stature, aerial ability and basically all the attributes of the modern wing back.

You'd have to wonder why he fell out of favour with the management after the Westmeath game.

Again that's not to criticise anyone and while I'm even more heartbroken this morning (that game was there to be won and we missed a few chances in the last ten minute) the overall feeling is one of huge pride and optimism for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tecking Fypo

Moral victories are poor currency to be dealing in but it would be reckless not to take as much as possible from that game yesterday from a KK point if view. Congratulations to Limerick, I felt privlidged to be in Croke Park yesterday for that game and witnessed their performance. Physicality isn't enough to beat them, they'll give that back to you in spades but their hurling intelligence coupled with work rate is going to take some beating. At times it looked like they had 17 players on the field yesterday mopping up breaking ball and being available to take the short pass from the player under pressure. That's no accident, thats well coached. A KK man said to me on the way out that KK never got a lucky break and Limerick got all the luck. Nonsense, the movement of their half forward line and their "lucky breaks" were something to behold and the fact KK pushed them so close despite this makes today easier to get up and drive on again. KK work rate is a given but it's not enough to beat Limerick, never was. Who knows what the future brings and I'm fairly open minded about what I'd like to see happen with the KK management in the future but I will say this. Unless we embrace fully the analysis, the modern coaching, the puck out strategies and dare I say the "in game" tactics that's all part and parcel of modern day hurling we'll find ourselves dealing in the currency of moral victories for the foreseeable future because this Limerick team are not going anywhere for a considerable amount if time, and more luck to them and their brilliant supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Hats off to Limerick, they're a superb team and Hegarty gave a performance yesterday that was up there with the best. He was simply unmarkable yesterday. True there is an argument that we could have brought Blanchfield on earlier as he did seem to be more suited to picking him up. But Hayes was also a brilliant target from puck outs. Most of their scores came directly from their puck outs and there was a bit of cuteness in how they shook off their markers to make a bit of space but it was all well drilled and executed. I wouldn't be too hard on Deegan and of the two he played much better imho than Richie Reid. Lawlor once again was brilliant and gives confidence to the boys in the corners. TJ was everything everyone said, immense player who regularly performs on the biggest occassion. I though Padraig was quiet enough and missed a couple of relatively easy chances and Adrian Mullen had two opportunities near the end, one where he should have passed to Richie who was free and one where he put it wide. Small margins but really you couldn't be critical of any of them, it was a courageous effort and you have to hand it to Cody, his teams are always well prepared and give every ounce of effort.

I would agree with those who said something needs to be done with the ball. Even during the warmup, the number of balls clearing the net and landing in the Davin was mad. Some of the points from Limerick looked like tap overs from their own half!

Also one last point, the atmosphere yesterday was really brilliant. Maybe it's because of 2 years of Covid, but the noise, the passion, the enjoyment on the faces of every fan of what they were witnessing, it was great to be there.

The sky commentator for the golf in St Andrews on Saturday reckoned the ball travels 5 to10% further through the air in the warm weather conditions, just wondering if it have the same effect on the sliotar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The players must run faster in warmer weather too because the sun heats their boots and makes them feel lighter. Same with their hurleys, with the heat on the wood and no wind, they can get a faster swing when hitting the ball. Must be true. The theories I guess.

Look I obviously got under your skin in some way or another, maybe it was when I called you a child, I'm not sure but you are now displaying a level of immaturity that's actually hard to comprehend in a grown man. I'm actually embarrassed for you. You really need to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Marrooned

The ball fell right for Limerick yesterday,but that always happens.they deserved their victory and you couldn’t meet a better crowd.I agree blanchfield was one of the finds of the season,and you would wonder if Cody was testing his commitment for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

So many errors in the first half, poor puckouts, line balls, must have conceded 6-7 points from mistakes, could have been a lot closer at half time. Puckouts were way too predictable in the second half, the long ball doesn't suit the majority of the forwards that are there at the moment, doesn't feel like they're getting the best out of mullen and cody playing it that way. Have to start working on the puckouts and movement and give themselves a better chance. Didn't expect to be anywhere near an all ireland final after the first round against westmeath or the wexford game, hard to be too disappointed with the way they finished the year.

Still not sure on Blanchfield, I dont think he was ready for this year, hopefully he'll have a good league next year and nail down a spot. Need to find another 2-3 players, midfield was a massive problem all year. Hard to see them being in a stronger position next year, looks like there's a couple players that are probably at the end, no obvious replacements ready

altitude and temperature make a massive difference alright to air density. Completely different sport but badminton for example theres 5 different speed shuttles to account for this. Cant see them bringing in a second speed sliotar, not too often we have the temperature problem.

Old enough to remember the long pucks competitions held in croke park at half time. First ones i remember were only reaching the opposite 45 shooting from the end line, slowly crept up over a few years until they were ending up over the end line. Cant remember what year the last one was held there, maybe early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Village87

Will be a different panel next year. Eoin Murphy, Richie Reid, Walter Walsh, TJ Reid, Cillian Buckley, Conor Fogarty, Padraig Walsh, Richie Hogan are all in there 30s next year and can see 3/4 of these walking away.

It goes without saying without TJ we are 10 points a worse team and he must stay on. Another year in a lot of them so hopefully they stay on.

Plenty to build on with that Kilkenny team with the best full back in the country on the team. Badly need midfield and half back line players for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

You dont think Blanchfield was ready for this year? In what match this year was that evident?

not saying he doesn't look like a great prospect going forward, just my opinion, thought he was a bit light, hopefully bulk up a bit for next year. Dont think he deserved to be dropped, the westmeath game was a bad game for a lot of players. Maybe could have been tried a bit more in midfield to get more time into him. I think the back 6 that started the last few games were the best options available

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

To score 2-26 and almost chin a great team playing at their very peak, with so many forwards playing poorly, is simply astonishing. 2-3 bad wides late on and a great goal chance fluffed due to a poor hand pass by TJ to Walter and we'd have done it, and Limerick would scratch their heads and wonder wtf?

15 different scorers for us, has to be a record.

Need two of Drennan, Shine, Clifford and maybe Ciraran Brennan to burst through, because our forwards just arent good enough.

1-9 we are sorted. Blanchfield has to be a fixture from here. A half back line in 2 years time of Carey, Joe Fitpatrick and Blanchfield would be serious and wouldnt be outmuscled by anyone, even Limerick.

As a frequent critic of Cody (and I think he got plenty wrong again yesterday), one can never doubt the character of his teams. We were the only team in Ireland that could have put it up to Limerick yesterday. Anyone else would have been blown off the pitch

I think he got caught in possession a couple feet away from cody in that game, low tolerance for losing the ball in the half back line. and yes other players have been a bit headless and done the same without the same result

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

Puckouts were a huge difference between the teams. A lot of the Limerick puckouts were into space and gave their half forwards the advantage in gaining possession. We have to work on our puckouts. Darren Brennan has a more accurate puckout than Eoin Murphy and has to be considered

Normally Limerick rack up a large number of wides, yesterday they were more accurate than normal. Kilkenny will rue a number of poor wides particularly at the start of the second half.

TJ is central to the Kilkenny attack. We need him for next year. Wally is also needed.

Midfield is an ongoing issue. Cian Kenny may grow into the role, not sure who else to play here.

David Blanchfield is definitely one for next year. Excellent in the air but also drives forward when in possession

Hopefully the GAA will clamp down on throwing the ball. When a team is allowed to throw the ball more than 20 times without being penalised, it is a joke. It is more accurate, quicker and less likely to end in a turnover. Limerick are exploiting the lack of policing to the full. Very hard to understand why nothing is being done about it. Would have made a huge difference yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Lads.

It was heartbreaking there yesterday at the final whistle.

The effort every one of our boys put in was unbelievable. Our 4 subs made a good impact. All scoring points and wally creating the 1st goal as well.

I do think David Blanchfield will have a serious future with us. His catch above Hegarty and resultant score was a flavour of what we can expect from him. His distribution is also excellent. Not trying to be negative at all but i think maybe theres a possibility of moving Deegan to full forward or even the middle of the field and leaving Blanchfield at wing back. Deegan might be coming in for some flak but its unwarranted to be fair. He gives 100% every time he takes to the field. Yes he was under pressure yesterday but what half back line wouldn't be. Its up to us to counter than in our attacking play and put them under pressure. Believe me Limerick were very shaky in the last 15 mins. I know they went 5 ahead in injury time but we had them worried.

Fair play again to the lads. Gracious in defeat and we will push on.

Bringing in the likes of Billy Drennan and Timmy Clifford to the set up will also improve our game. You would probably expect that 2 or 3 of our players will call it a day and outstanding careers. The show must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Hopefully the GAA will clamp down on throwing the ball. When a team is allowed to throw the ball more than 20 times without being penalised, it is a joke. It is more accurate, quicker and less likely to end in a turnover. Limerick are exploiting the lack of policing to the full. Very hard to understand why nothing is being done about it. Would have made a huge difference yesterday

It's incredible when you think about it, a team that are the second most, if not the most prolific offenders for throwing the ball win a close all Ireland final by two points and not only do they manage to go 75 minutes without being penalised once by the ref for their often blatant throwing, but no-one in the media/analysis area is even talking about it!

I don't know if it's that there is a certain fatigue with discussing the topic due to it being highlighted earlier in the season or if there is an unwillingness to taint the showcase day for hurling with anything that doesn't suit the "greatest sport on earth" narrative but it's amazing that it is not at least being highlighted 

Blanchfield in half back line, deegan and kenny in midfield would be my preference. Going to be a couple years before those u20s would be ready. Is there anyone off any previous team that would be closer to breaking through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

Not a bad shout, Deegan is probably suited to a defensive midfield role allowing Kenny to get forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭C__MC

Hard luck yesterday. Certinley felt kk came of age and Cody now has adapted to modern hurling. The late wides hurt kilkenny. Limerick still out in front but the chasing back is even.

Advertisement