Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike upgrade

Options
  • 17-07-2022 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

so i own this entry level bike https://2wheels.ie/product/scott-speedster-20-disc-bike/ and looking to upgrade it slowly. I've 300 to spend on it, what should be the first thing i get? i've already bought a new saddle and tyres (gravel king slicks 32).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

How long do you have the bike? A new set of cables and outers can make shifting and braking feel like a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

For that kind of money would probably focus more on other gear like a decent head unit, heart rate monitor, decent bibs, nice comfortable helmet.

You could chase marginal weight stuff like seat posts, stem, bars etc but it’s not really worth it, and the next real upgrade would be a lighter wheelset like Mavic Kysriums etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

had the bike 2 years now.

was looking at these - https://www.merlincycles.com/dt-swiss-p-1800-spline-32-disc-road-wheelset-700c-125728.html are they decent? will i notice the difference?

i already have a computer, okish helmet (trek wavecel) and a hrm. I should have mentioned, I can only spend the money on gear - and unfortunately not clothes due to work reimbursing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Some decent 2nd hand bikes come up for sale on some cycle shop websites for 600-700.

All carbon with eg 105 gearset. Keep an eye on a few webpages

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

The most dramatic upgrade you can make to your bike is a wheelset. For 300 quid you'll have a set of entry level Mavic Aksiums.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd echo the decent bibs comment; and that won't come close to breaking the budget, i got galibier equipe (mark ii maybe?) about a year ago, two sets for about €60 each and they're twice as good as alturas/northwave etc which cost more.

i'd say a heart rate monitor is really only useful for someone training to race, though. i've been back cycling about 8 years and have never had any hankering for a HRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They’re a bit on the heavy side, would recommend having a look at the 23 version as they’re about 200g lighter

Ah it depends on the person but if you’re training for fitness (not necessarily racing), heart rate can be nice to track especially for stuff like intervals and recovery. It’s just another metric to track to see how hard you’re pushing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭transylman

If I could go back to when I was just getting started, the first thing I would tell myself to get is a crank power meter and a decent head unit. It’s the best way to track your progress, you can set effort level for intervals, and you can use it with a turbo training indoors. For me numbers were a major motivator, and I could chose to reward myself with other bike upgrades when I hit certain targets.

A good set of tyres makes a big difference for not a lot of money. You can get GP5000s for around 120e.

If you could wait and save a bit more, a set of carbon wheels with around 50mm depth will transform that bike.

Alternatively, a Favero Uno power meter will set you back around 399 and will do amazing things for your training.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There are some good suggestions above which will transfer over to your next bike (gps, clothing, wheels & tires) but I would honestly only upgrade as you notice the need rather than spending a set amount of money on a bike. Do you want it to be lighter / more comfortable / more aerodynamic / better for riding in winter etc? That is a nice bike but 10-speed and mechanical disc brakes will always limit what it can do and neither will be an economical upgrade (but both can be perfectly fine to use)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Some great suggestions but you haven't said what or why you want to upgrade, so answer these first and you will get better answers:

• Are you training at all / for fitness / for racing?
    • Are you mainly gravel or road riding (you sort of bought semi gravel tyres)
    • Are there any issues with the bike at present, most of your budget would be eaten up by maintainence alone, is this included or seperate eg brake pads, cables, gears etc.
    • How much riding do you do? so it can be guessed about stuff from the previous question
    • Have you ever had a bike fit?

riding for fitness

i do ride some rough country roads

no issues at all, just need to spend the money

not that much ~200km a week

not had a bike fit but unfortunately i can't use the 300 for that.

--- the 300 is kind of a wellness benefit from work for every 1/4. can't spend it on clothes, bike fits, etc. can buy sports gear and stuff - hrm, cycling computers, bike wheels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Macy0161

After years of not really believing the hype about the difference wheels make, I was a bit shocked how much a difference they made when I moved from stock wheels. I ended up going second hand carbon, which probably isn't an option.

I've never had them, but Zonda's are oft quoted as an upgrade from stock, and I don't think massively over the budget.

200km a week is plenty. You can maintain a very high level of fitness on about six hours a week of cycling.

Apart from splashing out on good tyres (buy a good pair like GP 5000s and you'll be amazed at the difference), I'm not sure you'll get much bang for your buck on upgrading anything else for that money. Wheels are the biggest upgrade you can get but I'd spend on a good set of used or new carbon ones.

I'd also consider a turbo trainer if you want to train in the winter.

You may have some or all of these but I'd consider them all essential:

Saddle bag including spare tubes and other essentials (multi tool and chain breaker)

Mini Pump

Good set of Allen keys

Good front and rear lights

Work stand

Good set of brushes and degreaser

Wet and dry lube

thanks all, just bought the Varia RTL510. worth it, i'll cancel if not haha

Advertisement