Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think we will do it at 4pm at Phoneix Park.

The heat now here in NCD is unreal.

We have had two meltdowns in 5 mins and that's with us all in the shade🙄

Baby gone for a nap and some quiet time for 6 year old inside so hopefully calm will be restored 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

33.0C now at Phoenix. Here's how the hourly obs stack up to 1500. Few mentions of Casement 32C but not on Ogimet for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

We may have an announcement shortly…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Kilkenny has a topography that assists high temperatures in summer and lower night temperatures in the centre of the county in winter.

The centre of the county is much lower than the borders of the county.

The record was verified at the time as the instruments were checked, and there was found to be no issue with them, it is why the record stood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Casement down to 30c now at 15.30. Hope Phoenix Park gets a bit more sun to put the whole 1887 thing in the bin!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

A bit of cloud and breeze coming through now in North City Centre, not sure if it'll be the same at the park a few km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

A nation holds it's breath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looking from where I am towards Phoenix Park its verging on 100% overcast now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Definite drop in temperature in Sandymount now that the sea breeze has picked up and the tide is on its way in. Was measuring 32c in the shade an hour ago, now down to 30.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow AWS - 30.0c

Just seen this from sky news, why would you leave a dog in a car in hot weather with no windows open or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Annnd 31.1’C

😀

Seven Worlds will Collide

30.1c now here in Kildare on a Davis which joints last year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon somewhere in Dublin has broken the 33.3C record but it won't be official and unlikley to have a station measuring temperatures in the first place. Great to see 33.0C at an official station tho. This is unlikely to go any higher with so much cloud around Leinster at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

raining near casement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Now or never for the record today. If it doesn't go in the next half hour in PP it will hardly go today?

Even 33.4 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I hope it doesn't go, heard someone on Newstalk saying you couldn't trust the reading from the 1890's when it was so long ago. Seems to piss some people off that it could have been hotter over a hundred years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Shannon Airport 3pm reading was 30c.

I'm just outside Limerick City and it is boiling hot. I'd hazard a guess at 31c or 32c

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

this can`t be far away from the N.I. record?? (just north of Banbridge, Co.Down)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

It reached 33.4C at Trim after 1pm today but although it's a WOW station, it is not considered an official station for record purposes according to ME in this Irish Times article.

Ireland records hottest day for 135 years as temperatures hit 33 degrees in Dublin 

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/07/18/dublin-airport-records-all-time-highest-temperature/

Northern Ireland record is 31.2c in Castle derg last July

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Even if the record doesnt go today it does show that we can get to 33.3C or higher when the synoptics are just right. The cloud surely scuppered the final high temperature today (even if it does break the record, higher still is clearly possible).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Absolutely unbearable heat for me today. I won't go outside the door. The kids on my road would usually be out playing at this time but there are none to be seen today. It's very hot for little ones although they are probably far more able for these temperatures than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was lovely all morning and afternoon in West cork, overcast now however and even a few drops of rain. Looking forward to seeing PP pass 33.3 hopefully!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Across the water 38c atm at Cambridge and Lakenheath. UK record under threat today/tomorrow as they are likely to get hotter tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I doubt that to be honest. Look at the readings Sryan posted. Phoenix Park well out in front. I doubt anywhere in Dublin barring a station slap in the middle of a car park would surpass the heat trap that PP is. It’s the ultimate set up to get inflated temperatures on a day like today. It’s been waiting for such a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

There's a thread here about 1887. That record is real. They were meticulously accurate in the late Victorian period.

Advertisement