Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nope.

That whole post is so offensive I refuse to engage with it.

There is a Women's Category.

Trans Women are women.

There is not a "Women's category only for biological females"

If there was Trans Women could not participate.

I realise the latter is what people like you are lobbying for, but it does not exist - and hopefully never will as not only are Trans Women being thrown under that ideological bus - biological women with naturally elevated testosterone levels are too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,395 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am sure if there was a biological Womens sport and just a Womens sport then Trans Women into sports would be happy to compete in the latter but there is not. There is men's sports and women's sports. As long as the Trans Woman has fully transitioned and is at least a year on hormones then I see no problem with her competing with other Women. Anything else is disgrimination.

Many famous trans- people, including the former Olympian herself, Caitlyn Jenner, disagree with you.

Ye you see she is a bit messed up. I have nothing against her transition it's just her whole family I think that are messed up.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Read it again, I didn't say transgender people were doping or cheating so I don't see how it's offensive beyond saying trans women have an unfair advantage which we disagree on.

I used an analogy where some competitors have an unfair advantage and asked if that was acceptable.

Given the reaction I assume neither of you agree with doping.

• Advertisement

As long as you keep defining some biological males as women, the "debate" is pointless.

Deep down, you know this position is faith-based and not one rooted in science and logic and actual reality.

It's the New Christianity. Chant the same beliefs every day in the hope that they are right.

And now we have the "It's the new religion card" combined with the "I'm going to tell you what you know/believe/think" card.

HOUSE!

Not at all.

I'd much rather take the word of a former Olympian athlete and arguably the world's most famous trans woman than the loud trans activists on the Internet.

Blaire White, the most famous trans woman on YouTube with over 1 million followers, disagrees with you.

The list goes on and on and on.

So stop pretending your version of the answer is the right one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it could be easily argued that trans athletes are indeed "doping". They take artificial levels of hormones not produced naturally in their bodies. Every other sportsman and sportswoman would lose their medals for that sort of thing if they were found out. In the case of F-M trans they add in testosterone. Well they have limits? Yes they do, but hormones like test act in different ways in different people, some get much more of a boost than others(it's why the argument of "well if they're all doping it's a level playing field anyway" is a nonsense). M-F trans could be argued are reverse doping. They start out with the larger physicallities, bigger lungs, different limb lengths of men and take artificial hormones not produced naturally in their bodies to be able to compete with women.

Oestrogen changes how you feel and act in the brain? Indeed it does. yet at the same time we're told "gender is a social construct", which it isn't. It's just the current fashionable narrative of nurture is greater than nature that sprang up during the 1960's and 70's as part of counterculture politics and philosophies. It was countering the previous politic and philosophy that nature was the driver. Actual hard science has long demonstrated it's six of one, half dozen of the other, but prenatal hormone exposure and later puberty drive quite the few differences. Indeed trans people who very much tend to use the "gender is a social construct" thing actually demonstrate it's not. If it were and society was "constructing" them from the cradle to be the gender of their genitals then there wouldn't be any trans people, or much much fewer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

@Bannasidhe

Looks like you have a full house with "these (transphobic) trans people agree with me"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You are saying that any trans woman who disagrees with biological males competing in women's sport is transphobic?

Quite astonishing that you're othering trans- people who just happen to disagree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,687 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This whole thread is embroiled in arguing trans men in womens divisions is cheating so no I don't think this dodge has flight.

Argumentum ad populum/Appeal to authority etc.

Overall just finding a few TERF trans persons to crutch your arguments. What makes them more right than another is one has 1 million youtube followers and the other leads a quieter life on Boards?

One thing I can absolutely assure you, is that you will not win this debate by calling everyone with whom you disagree, a "TERF", including many trans people.

All that does is cause alienation and resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

....your entire raison d'etre in this thread is to alienate trans persons from sports based on resentment of trans womens scores. You're having an absolute laugh.

There's nothing mislabeling or besmirching about it: Caitlynn Jenner wants to exclude trans women from a feminist activity.

Ironically you won't win the debate either by shouting biological this and that, or shouting meow woof bark. Apparently that wasn't alienating enough!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've never made that claim. I've said, and backed it with a link to a paper on it, that the transition process doesn't eliminate male advantage.

I've said that transwomen will be overly represented at the higher level of female sport and they are. They're represented at the highest level in numbers far higher than transmen are in the male category.

The science is also backed up by various transwomen moving up in performance levels after they transition. Then there's also a number who didn't compete as a male but then took up sport after they transitioned and are competing at high levels in their categories, this is because of the male advantage they have. The example of Fallon Fox is a good example of this as she was 38 when she was competing and gave an injury which is incredibly rare in female combat sports, and is rare for a 38 year old to give in male combat sports.

So the claim, which I don't think you've made in fairness but has been made by Trans organisations, that transwomen competing in female sports is fair and safe is just not true.

Where have I personally said that transwomen are cheating. I've said they have an unfair advantage and provided data to back up my point (we can agree to disagree on the interpretation, no point in rehashing it).

I note you didn't ask the poster talking about reduced testosterone and heavy bones for data.

I consider cheating breaking rules to gain an unfair advantage. I haven't accused any transwomen of breaking rules and their advantages are as a result of nature not deliberate actions on their behalf.

Now you may believe this would be cheating except you disagree there is any advantage either that or you're obfuscating in order to deflect from the notion that even a small number of competitors with unfair advantages is unfair to the majority of competitors.

The debate is around inclusion or fairness. You can't have both just 1 or the other.

It's not a personal attack so don't take it so personally. I don't chase up every stupid thing said in the thread. You're not dispelling the fact that arguments exist on thread that allege trans persons competing in cis sports is unfair to cis competitors, that's tantamount to accusing them of cheating.

The debate is around inclusion or fairness. You can't have both just 1 or the other.

Ridiculous. Include everyone and it's fair.

Cis sports and cis competitors...

Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,395 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oestrogen changes how you feel and act in the brain? Indeed it does. yet at the same time we're told "gender is a social construct", which it isn't. It's just the current fashionable narrative of nurture is greater than nature that sprang up during the 1960's and 70's as part of counterculture politics and philosophies. It was countering the previous politic and

Actually being Trans has proven to exist for a lot longer than most people realise. I can not remember where I read it but I think even in Egupt there was Trans people qmwgeb they ruled. OK the first actually operation never happened until quiet recently sometime in the last 80 odd years.

But to say it is a social construct I disagree with I think it is normal and natural. It is only now with social media and other media that people know about Trans people more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You gonna be okay there? What did I do wrong this time according to your pearls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There was nothing offensive in that post by the way.

Are the thousand words related to finally feeling like a woman in a womans body, being more attuned to your physicality and therefore performing better?

Or are there a lot of words you think its telling but isn't really telling.

Or maybe it doesn't mean what I said either, since she got 3.76% slower after she transitioned.

Thomas’ best time in the 200 freestyle ended up being her 1:41.93 mark from the Zippy Invitational in December. That effort ultimately ended up 3.76% slower than her best time before her transition.

@Bannasidhe I guess we're at the recycling complete garbage card stage.

3.76% slower. Am I supposed to be impressed?

That link you quoted tears Lia Thomas' record apart and explains the injustice. So thanks for posting it.

It's you who says it's tantamount to cheating and you are entitled to that opinion but I disagree with that.

It would be cheating where a man transitioned to be a woman with the sole intention of winning at sport. It's not impossible given potential rewards from prizes, sponsorship or other rewards but I would have thought instances would be rare and I'm not aware of any case.

It would also be cheating if rules existed to stop transwomen competing in the women's category and a transwoman deliberately hid the fact they were assigned male at birth. Again not aware of any cases.

Including everyone is fair in terms of inclusion not necessarily fair in terms of competition.

It's tantamount to saying it's the taking part that counts not the competition part of competing. Let's not keep score and everybody gets a medal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The women's category exists for a reason, as do all categories.

Males have a physical advantage over females (the lowest weight category in male weightlifting at the 2020 Olympics is 61Kg only one woman, who was in the +87Kg category, out of all the female weightlifters beat the winner of that category. The winner of the 100m sprint in the women's category would not have qualified for round 1 of the male category. The winner of the women's marathon would have come in 71st in the male marathon).

The female category exists, as do all categories, so that the people in it have a fair competition against those also in it. The average male heavyweight should beat an average light heavyweight who in turn should beat an average middleweight and so on.

The issue when it comes to transwomen is that they still retain their male advantage so will be at an advantage compared to the rest of the women's category. This doesn't mean they'll win everything but it does mean they have an advantage that other people in that category don't have and will be overly represented in winning. The science backs this up and the results are starting to back this up too.

That doesn't mean they're cheating as they're playing to the rules.

What it does mean is that the rules should be changed, which is what some organisations have done recently to deal with this advantage. In swimming a few years back there were a number of competitors who wore the shark skin swim suits. They weren't cheating as this was perfectly legal. The organisers than found that these suits gave an advantage to those who wore them compared to those who didn't and changed the rules to reflect this.

There is no perfect solution when it comes to transwomen in sport, only imperfect ones. Creating an open category and a female category for those who've never gone through male puberty looks to be the least imperfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

What was thomas' highest ranking pre transition?

The link if you paid attention has been shared in the thread already, and then ripped apart for how misleading it is overall, dealing with precise times when its convenient to the author and percentages for everything else, lest it fail to outrage the reader enough to draw their own conclusions from the racing times.

am I supposed to be impressed?

This is an awfully nonconstructive and defensive response to a criticism of your boilerplate "a picture's worth 1k words" meme effort. I think @Bannasidhe nailed it, you're out of arrows to sling.

Including everyone is fair in terms of inclusion not necessarily fair in terms of competition.

Why not?

Should we go back to race segregation of the leagues as well? For fairness?

Is this competition unfair to white skinned people? Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Christ my head hurts reading all this

You're advocating apartheid or claiming black supremacy?

Biologically the only difference between those people and the white skinned people are the colour of their skin.

I'm not aware of Melanin conferring specific advantages, are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

When you pare it all back thats what this is all about cis supremacy and trans exclusion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Non-binary trans athletes are compelled to participate not according to their gender, but according to their biological sex.

If it's good enough for non-binary trans athletes, it should be good enough for binary trans athletes.

No exclusion. Everyone in society plays sport according to their sex, and not which gender they've plucked from the eternal pantheon of genders.

The single biggest differentiating factor when it comes to physical performance in sport is biological sex not race.

The people who compete at the highest level of the 100m, marathon, weightlifting, swimming, long jump, badminton, cycling and football have one thing in common and it's not their race. It's their biological sex.

No I'm cross examining your position, and not understand why your argument only applies to trans in gender divided sports and not the fairness of race divisions. For example, the 100m elite is dominated by black participants.

Folks in thread would with the thin logic they have presented here have us believing that this matter of fact should force us to conclude that blacks competition in mens racing is unfair to white men, because the top tier (shown in the above image, the 2012 100m Olympic final) was dominated by all black athletes, they 'robbed white men' of something something.

If you find this argument repugnant you should, it's the logic racists used to segregate the races and it's the same boilerplate logic trans-exclusionaries are pushing now to exclude trans athletes from being athletes. They used junk science to argue physical differentiation between the races, too. History seems like it's repeating itself.

The single biggest differentiating factor when it comes to physical performance in sport is biological sex not race.

Alright, hang on that: who is this according to? Where is the dissertation on this?

The idea that excluding black people from the 100 meters race is the same as excluding trans women (biological males) from women's sport is by far the worst post I've come across on this thread.

Absolutely ridiculous comparison.

• Advertisement

Again, nonconstructive denial that doesn't do anything to substantively refute the comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are you arguing for the elimination of the female/women category completely and have one open competition? (which is what is inevitably going to happen for the male category in non-contact sports) If you want to argue separate leagues and an ability to cross those leagues, you should also state what those leagues should be and the entry criteria.

Ultimately the whole area comes down to being inclusive or being fair, both are not possible at the same time. Sports, over time, will come down on the side of fairness, it always has. There will be lots of huffing and puffing till that point.

(I would also add that a denser skeleton is an advantage even with reduced muscle mass and that lower centre of gravity will depend on height of the individual and those with a female pelvis will always be at a disadvantage at the same height due to a less dense pelvis and putting more stresses on the pelvic and knee joints during movement, which also burns more energy, due to the legs being at a greater angle by default).

Are you arguing for the elimination of the female/women category completely and have one open competition?

Really, that seems to be the best outlook.

While enough states eventually 'ratified' the Equal Rights Amendment, it was slow-walked so it would never actually happen .... but I digress, this isn't a lecture about the history of the ERA in Congress or whatever, or the reason it hasn't been constitutionally ratified... The fact is a plurality of American legislatures eventually agreed that this should be amended into the constitution:

Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

On its face, I would argue this will ultimately steers the culture toward the elimination of the division between the genders and the sexes both and towards the right of everyone to be an equal competitor.

Check it out for yourself, that the single biggest differentiating factor when it comes to performance in sport is biological sex and not race

2020 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia

The top performers in

100m: male and black

Marathon: male and mostly black

Weightlifting: male and mostly white

Swimming: male and white

Long Jump: male and mixed race

Badminton: male and mixed race

Cycling (time trial): male and white

Football: male and mixed

We could debate all the reasons why black African American and Caribbean men dominate sprints and Ethiopians and kenyans long distance running but never the other way around when they are all black but that's a different subject.

Explain why the science around transgender is junk. I'm open to changing my position if rationale science supports it.

Include the data to support your position please.

Not sure where you see that broken down at like that on this page.

What is the spread of top men/women among the top 5, 50, 500 in the world? Isn't that significant achievement still out of 7.6 billion?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Really, that seems to be the best outlook.

If you want women to never win anything ever again, sure. Otherwise its a bloody awful outlook.

As you're demonstrating with your self-discrediting arguments.

You sure as heck can't manage to differentiate between how trans exclusion is so enlightened and totally unlike race exclusions?

Because if anything, the last thing a woman would ever want to win is Equality, am I right?

Your conjecture is not won out by facts on the ground BTW

Perhaps we should address why you presume so little of elite female athletes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement