Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

The garda vetting thing seems to be a bit strange. How come I can let out a room in my house on Airbnb and I don't need to be vetted but I do if I take in a ukranian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

I was nearly banned off Boards some time ago when I dared to mention that within a week of the war starting in Ukraine Zelenskyy opened the prison gates and armed the convicts to help defend their country. Some of these criminals were doing long stretches for serious crimes and some will no doubt reoffend. The vast majority did not hang around to be rearrested once the was was over - they headed west across the border thru unofficial back roads etc. with false papers / identities etc. some of soldiers of same age etc. who were killed. Ukraine was well known long before the war ever started as the most corrupt country in the western world - it is not possible for the leopard to change it's spots overnight !

On a seperate note it's interesting to note that it's possible to book a holiday in Kyiv on the Expedia website - a week for 2, first week of August costs €1,460 in Intercontinental & €498.00 in Raddison Blu ! It seems to be business as usual in the western part of Ukraine, the war is concentrated in the east - perhaps our goverment should block book the Raddison & similar hotels in Kyiv for say 9 months and encourage repatriation !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Because it's all being done reactively, without proper planning or thought of the wider impacts (as you give an example of).

It's like the Covid responses. Overnight sweeping legislation and rules whose impact we will still be unpicking for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You seem to believe this is entirely people's fault, I don't agree in the slightest for the many reasons I've point out. Of course there may be some who did not wish to go through garda vetting for numerous reasons and that's their entitlement, but I suspect very very few didn't wish to go through the process unless the country is awash with vagabonds and dastardly inviduals who have a accommodation to offer.

But just as an aside its a little rich the RC belatedly bringing up this latest fairytale given the "nothing to see here" attitude towards very questionable accommodation arrangements going on across SM and whilst not their responsibility their incompetence led to alot of this carry on.

Meanwhile, whilst all this sudden concern about garda vetting going on, few Ukrainian refugees entering Ireland, have been vetted but at least, safe garding interventions are taking place now at ports of Entry, but I do wonder what if any follow ups are taking place, I suspect very, very little.

A lot of inconsistencies evident I'm afraid.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Really? You think it's strange?

1) The Ukrainians are mostly women and children and in a vulnerable situation

2) The State is coordinating and overseeing. It has a responsibility and would be negligent if it sent out a woman and child to a house, without doing even basic checking, and something happens to that woman or child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

One thing that really will have serious knock-on effects - particularly here - is the no-checks, open border response to the invasion.

We have no idea who we're scrambling to provide stuff for, and yet we're garda vetting people who are settled and known here in most cases all their lives.

We haven't even gotten to the stage of post-war traumatised ex-soldiers looking to join family here, and the problems THAT will cause!

But it seems the attitude generally among the politicians, media, and advocates is to not mention these things - "Shure it'll be grand!", right??

Hmmmm, most curious, is this the same state ignoring what's going on on SM or indeed at our ports of Entry 🤔

Coordination my Arse..

They couldn't coordinate the sealing of an envelope let alone the mess they've created.

Dempo, the poster was wondering why there might be vetting. Not talking about how the vetting was being done.

I’m simply trying to clarify the timeframe for Garda vetting. Contrary to what you are claiming, in the vast majority of applications, the clearance is back in little over a week.

I'm aware of what the poster was asking, it's your response I found bewildering.

Have you been observing " The Coordination" of late.

• Advertisement

And I've more than clarified the Report (Latest, deflection excuse) is utter nonsense. I suspect most people understand what garda vetting involves.

You don't think the State could be liable if it shipped out out a couple of young women who can't speak English out to the home of someone who was convicted of trafficking women into prostitution for example? Perhaps maybe a 19 year old girl out to the house of a serial rapist just out of jail?

You do understand that this stuff - the tent villages, the hotels out in Citywest, sleeping in the old airport building, are being done by state bodies. It isn't random Ukrainians that are all coming in independently and spontanrously coming to the exact same idea that Gormanston would be a nice place to pitch a tent. Did you not even suspect that there might be some State involvement in that?

Your now straying into another area, duty of care & Responsibility, which of course everyone understands if time allowed I'd be happy to discuss this.

I'm discussing a silly report this morning and comments from the RC.

But that aside, your absolutely correct, Government do have a number of responsibilities, unfortunately they didn't get the memo on their responsibilities and not just when it comes to this charade.

I wasn't straying into another area. That is the area that answered the posters question as to why people would be being vetted to take Ukrainians even though he can airbnb his house (or whatever their confusion was)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Sorry but that's Bs My partner has had to fill in the online form 5 times now and is still waiting. One of our old addresses no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

The Pandora Papers are a testament to the corruption statement

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

People are leaving because we (EU taxpayer) pays them 4 time's more for not working then working in Ukrianie. Its a no brainer.

2022 and Ireland is the Klondike, Ukrianinans are the prospectors, and the gold is our generous welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

The RC waited months to begin the process of acquiring houses for accommodation in many cases. I know of two people who offered houses but weren't contacted again until the end of May. By that time we had huge inflation in energy and day to day living expenses. A lot of people got worried that they'd be liable for electricity and heating bills in the building. The amount that the government was offering to these people was paltry. It would be interesting to see how much the government is paying the likes of CityWest and other hotels accommodating refugees. It's galling to see people who acquired some of these hotels from NAMA at a fraction of their true value being paid huge amounts by the state to house refugees. The public are enriching these businesspeople on two fronts: we have to pay off the bad loans and are paying through the nose for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Thats a great point regarding hotels getting massive money.

Will the ordinary Joe's be happy to give someone a room when hotels are creaming it. I know they will get 400 euro eventually as a sweetner. The people giving these rooms are moving the que, on and then 'theres nothing to see here' policy from government saying it's all good we have room keep coming.

So RC who are tax payer funded, get joe who's tax payer funded (400) to move the Ukrainian que so the Hotels (who are now tax payer funded) can process more people. Its all a big scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The penny drops slowly at government buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

This is only the start of it. The amount of weapons being handed out in Ukraine is mindboggling. You can be absolutely guaranteed a lot of these weapons are going to make their way into the hands of criminal groupings including possibly terrorists in Europe. Ukraine as you say is a very corrupt country Zelensky also banned all opposition media soon after the war started under the premise it was all "Russian propaganda". Doesn't sound very European to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

If we had a functioning media here, the question would have already been asked as regards how much the hotels are getting per day.

We hear more about the free stuff I wager. 😁

2 people have had issues 1 has said it's simple. Which one is the exception.

The excuses that will flow is Contract confidentiality, despite the fact its Taxpayers. Money paying for this . At some stage the details will come out via FOI or enquiries but the sad reality is this, Few Journalists & no opposition politicians have the stomach to ask any hard questions, this will change in time.

Like every scandal, it just takes a slip of a Tongue or inquisitive investigative Journalist to start digging and the poo will hot the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Suspension of EU migration rules here has finally started in order to curb the abuse of the system

We're have you seen this 🤔 I know a few countries rolling back on this absurd directive and what they can realistically cope with .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement