Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭techman1

What does this mean, is it to stop non Ukranians from other countries arriving pretending to be Ukranian. What does it mean for those that have already arrived by that means but who are subsequently proven not to be from Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Here it is

Before anyone gets excited, Guess what

Ukrainians will still be able to travel to Ireland visa free.

Our wonderful government have now made an entirely intolerable situation worse , they've voted at cabinet to suspend this decision for 12 months

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

If it's True watch the state funded NGO's go berserk. We will then have a shift to "oh the humanity" on RTE discussion shows. Calls of Racism all the good stuff. No admission it's the right thing to do. We can't cater for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The white-washing of Ukraine's pre-war issues is something that we will all face the consequences of in the coming decade and probably longer.

No country or people are saints (ourselves included), yet that is exactly how they've been portrayed. Helpless victims who have nothing and nowhere else to go. Now in some cases that may indeed be true (although the uncomfortable problem of why they haven't resettled in the vast area of their country west of the fighting rather than trekking across the breadth of Europe remains), but these people also bring a lot of other problems that we in particular are ill-equipped to deal with as it is.

Take for example, the prospect of dealing with potentially tens of thousands of ex-soldiers with possibly serious mental and physical healthcare needs. We're not exactly known for dealing with those as it is now!

Criminality is another. Now to be clear, I'm not suggesting that this will make up any more than a small minority (just as proportionally most people here are law abiding citizens), but we live in a country which can't effectively deal with zoned out junkies on the streets, or existing criminal gangs shooting each other. Regardless of if it's a tiny number, why do we need to take on these additional problems?

Then there's the sheer logistics of directly supporting tens of thousands of people who have no self sufficiency as they enter , limited if any familiarity with our culture, accepted norms and laws, and the challenges of integrating them into a society already struggling and divided on many key issues.

We are setting ourselves up for a lot of problems - some will be very obvious and immediate as we're already seeing, others more subtle and localised, and still others that will take years to really feel the impact of.

Ultimately it all comes back to a simple question that goes far beyond the narrative of goodwill and charity - "why are we doing this?"

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, it's widely reported that we can't cope with what we've already taken in, but our Government seems determined to continue regardless. They might be parochial, greedy and out of touch but no one could be that blind at this point, especially when outlets like the IT are now calling out the public concerns - so, what's REALLY going on??

The money households got per month sounded about right for a 3-6 month stay in an emergency situation back when this started - not now and also, if indeed hotels are getting say 100 euro per night per person or even per room bed and board, that’s even greater reason to up the family home payment- you’d be better off doing the rent a room scheme and set up whatever terms and conditions you want and to choose your guest- the govt have handled this so badly I reckon people feel they’re being taken for a mug- and that U turn McEntee did on taking in a Ukrainian , that really said it all

• Advertisement

It's not , just posted a caveat for 12 months, this is extraordinary 🙄

The cabinet didn't even meet together.

Basically what they've done is continue as is for 12 more months while other countries have started to tighten up and sensibly so .

Can we guess what this now mean 🤔

Here's a Guess , we're in for an avalanche 😳

Word will get out through social media that Ireland is Ill prepared to take in refugees- no-one wants to live in a tent city through an Irish winter which is essentially what they’re facing - and no minister will dare encourage people to open their houses because the first question will be, well minister, have you opened up your house? 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭jackboy

Well we’ve already been told that there could be millions of African refugees heading for the EU this winter. Maybe they are trying to get ahead of that. It won’t work though, the EU will decide how that migration will be handled and we will be forced to comply.

This can only be prevented if the likes of Germany and France decide to close the EU to migration. This would have been impossible a couple of years ago but they may do it to save the Euro and the EU.

• Advertisement

Such has the reaction been to tent cities , watch this space , more and more hotels will be doing deals, especially as September nears , come September there'll not be a hotel room available in the entire country.

Fair points but let's keep African refugees to one side.

There's more than enough "inviduals" across the European continent already who might think , Irelands offerings to good not to take up. Even that aside , once in, I see no appetite in this government to remove anyone, Ever .

Well certainly there will be more hotels signing up for the winter- especially 3 star inland hotels with not much going for them - the Irish public won’t cooperate if they’re seeing hotels being paid handsomely and a family home gets a measly 400 per month with inflation as it is.

In addition, the average modern family home has 1 living room and a kitchen/dining area - that’s it downstairs even for 4 bed homes- so from a practicality perspective there are very few Irish homes with the capacity to take on anyone, Ukrainian or otherwise, for the medium and long term - short term yes but it will become too much imposition for all over the medium long term

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Tented villages will need to be constructed and used. That way we can meet our obligations, whilst those choosing to come here will know where they are going.

What's your point? Are they not as reported - 'temporarily suspend Ireland's participation in the Council of Europe Agreement for 12 months'

It comes into effect tomorrow....... so before 12 months are up this can reviewed in light of events.

Seems a reasonable reaction.

Reads as they were going to then suspended that for 12 months

I don't know how you can read that into it. Report says

'Refugees granted a Convention Travel Document in Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, or Switzerland will now need to apply for a visa to travel to Ireland. The suspension will come into effect from noon tomorrow.'

Pretty clear to me..

My point is Ireland will continue allowing Ukrainian refugees in without the requirement of a Visa were as other EU member states won't, unless I've missed something, this in essence guarantees the flow and more than likely an avalanche as other countries will only permit access with a Visa 🤔

Cabinet ministers met incorporeally today to temporarily suspend Ireland's participation in the Council of Europe Agreement for 12 months.

Refugees who have been granted refugee status from countries which have signed up to the agreement do not need a visa to travel to other countries which have also signed up to the agreement for three months.

However, ministers today decided to suspend this initiative due to pressures on the International protection system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

right now you’ll probably have the national show centre, Millstreet, and various other spacious and social recreational / event facilities getting tapped up to be long term accommodation hubs..

• Advertisement

If I recall the EU directive mentions Appropriate Accommodation 🤔

Yes Ireland bound by same agreement as other EU states re Ukrainian refugees.

Todays announcement is concerned with those seeking International Protection afaik, and to stem the rapid increase in these coming from other EU states.

If Ukrainians are disproportionately coming here in preference to other EU states, that's better tackled by equalising payments and supports, so there's no particular incentive.

Oh I wager spa, sports facilities and alike to go in too. leaving nowhere to go for relaxation. Anywhere where beds can be put in.

So essentially an already agreed plan was to take effect and our government voted to suspend participation, seems pretty clear to me 🤔

Love that word and this one too "Nincompoop's " 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Only sports facility in a large council estate in my town has been occupied by Ukranians now since the war started.

Local kids starting to get annoyed they have nothing to do and local gardai are getting called regularly due to the kids acting the maggot around the centre and criminal damage to it at nighttime. Country is going to be in a bad way soon

I do get that and I'll be curious to see how many other EU states "suspend " participation, the real issue has been and remains an issue is we don't actually know who's coming here due to lack of any vetting or verification procedures , so my belief this suspension, for whatever reason will be abused , Ergo, Avalanche.

I would be pretty certain that we will have thousands of refugees living in tents later in the year

• Advertisement

Possibly but Ukrainians don't do Tents, besides virtue signalling will go into over drive and I've no doubt deals already being done with numerous hotels 😏

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement