Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Did I miss something? What happened to Mo that he's not available? I thought he signed the new contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Probably meant Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I really like Konate, he has some ceiling he can hit and he is still young and seems to be loving life at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Athletic linking us with onana, midfield needs a younger player, but I think they will wait for Bellingham next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

When I look at the league season, I like to break it down into four segments (Games 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-38). Chelsea won 25 points in the first 10 games of last season and had a +23 goal difference, then the wheels came off (Burnley: D, Man Utd: D, West Ham: L, Everton: D, Wolves: D, Brighton: D). Man City capitalised on their collapse by hitting form and winning all 10 of their games (November-December). Liverpool idled along and only picked up their level in the third segment (January-March).

The performances of the Chelsea players were lacklustre at best in the second half of the season. Once the chance of winning the league was gone, the focus went on the cup competitions. They didn't show up for half the games (Brentford: L, Man Utd: D, Everton: L, Wolves: D) towards the end of the season and despite that they picked up only 11 points fewer than the 2022 league champions in the period from January.

Man City : 20 (+14), 30 (+25), 22 (+20), 21 (+14) => 93 (+73)

Liverpool : 22 (+21), 22 (+19), 28 (+19), 20 (+9) => 92 (+68)

Chelsea : 25 (+23), 17 (+6), 18 (+7), 14 (+7) => 74 (+43)

The numbers suggest to me that Tuchel's has a better group than the final league table would suggest. For comparison here's the 2020/21 season break down and keep in mind that Tuchel only became manager of Chelsea in January 2021:

Man City: 18 (+6), 26 (+19), 27 (+17), 15 (+9) => 86 (+51)

Man Utd: 19 (+1) 21 (+9), 20 (+15), 14 (+4) => 74 (+29)

Liverpool: 21 (+5), 16 (+12), 10 (-2), 22 (+11) => 69 (+26)

Chelsea: 19 (+12), 11 (-2), 21 (+6), 15 (+6) => 67 (+22)

Barring another injury crisis, if Tuchel can resolve the consistency issue then it's not just going to be Liverpool and Man City contesting the league title this season. The fact that he no longer has players like Saul Niguez and Lukaku being thrust upon him may see bigger improvements in the performance level of the Chelsea team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea we always wait to get our man, and then wheel and deal to pay for him. You'd expect Jones, Morton, Milner, Ox to be gone next summer, Jones and Morton very good players, with minutes this season their value will be raised, but ultimately they'll not make they first team cut and seek first team football else where. Jones would be great for Dortmund, they'd use him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A nice tidy profit on him.

£500k paid for him with £1.1m in add-ons however he never played a minute of football for the club so I doubt any of that £1.1m will have to be paid even if it is they more than doubled the £1.6m max they would have paid for him.

You'd expect Jones, Morton, Milner, Ox to be gone next summer, Jones and Morton very good players, with minutes this season their value will be raised, but ultimately they'll not make they first team cut and seek first team football else where.

🤣 Has the heatwave completely melted your brain? Whatever about Milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain reaching the end of their career or contract, the club doesn't have a habit of dumping talented young players that can fulfill a role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Probably works out about even if you consider wages, signing on fees etc.

Not a bad bit of business for an emergency buy

We paid the lads wages for what 6 months while he wasn't out on loan I doubt he was on more than 15/20k at the very max proably closer to 10k a week and for a signing on fee i doubt that was very much if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

He was reported to be on 60k a week. Sheffield paid a portion of his wages (and 500k loan fee) but no way they paid close to the full amount

No chance he was being paid £60k a week it would be a lot closer to £6k a week than £60k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At the exact same time, Nat Phillips was also reported to be on 60k a week. Unsurprisingly, neither of these reports were true 😅

Those sorts of figures for those lads would've been smashing the wage structure apart far more destructively than whatever Mo is getting.

Here is one that say Davies is on £60k

It also say Diaz is on £56k

Robbo is on £50k & Kelleher is on £5,962k both of whom signed new long term contracts last summer

I thought we openly done that as part of the business side of things, build players up with minutes or loan deals, then cash them in while we upgrade with the revenue, as they were only ever pawns in the game, there never was a real chance they'd get first team football with Liverpool.

Here is some recent players past two years or so, there are many more, if you go back to the like of Jordan Ibe 15m, Kevin Stewart 8m

But recent ones are

Neco Williams, 17m

Harry Wilson 12m

Marko Grujic 10.5m

Rhian Brewster 23.5m

Ki-Jana Hoever 13.5m

De Souza 3.2m

Ryan Kent 7.5m

Rafael Camacho 7m

Solanke 24m

None of them had much minutes, but they had enough to make the worth something, I do believe it's deliberate that we do this, and will continue to do it.

Only just noticed Quansah was in the U-19 Euro's team of the tournament (which they won). The defender I've the most faith in of all our young CBs. Very fast, but also so positionally aware, and a proper leader on the pitch. I'd thought he might have a shot of deputising at right back this year till Ramsey came in.. maybe a loan out is the next step for him so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Solanke has proven a good investment for Bournemouth in fairness alright though, 29 league goals last year to get them promoted.

• Advertisement

I still fail to see how any of that is related to what you said regarding Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones or Morton.

Wouldn’t be too surprised to see Jones follow that same path… either warming the bench or maybe a loan move this year and then a sale next year. Morton will stay another year or so beyond that alright I think though.

Ultimately, it’s very hard to break through for anyone though, with the standard so high right now. The realistic outcome for 95% of these lads coming through is a bit of exposure followed by a sale to a decent level. We’ll be doing well to have 2 or 3 academy graduates getting some meaningful game time each season.

A really great interview with Fab in The Athletic

On helping Nunez settle in.

“That’s why whenever we sign a new player I always try to help him as much as possible. Like Darwin (Nunez) now, his English isn’t very good, so I’m always trying to help him in training by explaining some situations to him.

“When I first came to Liverpool, Firmino and (Alberto) Moreno were really important for me. They helped me to settle in. I try to support new players now in the same way as those boys supported me.”

Jones is never likely to be one of the first names on the team sheet for Liverpool but he can play a role during the course of the season and it's safe to say that he won't be going anywhere this year.

As it stands we have only 7 recognised 'homegrown' senior players: Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Phillips, Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain. Van den Berg, Jones and Rhys Williams will join the list for the 2023/24 season. Provided none of them leave the club before then we'll fulfill the requirement for 8 'homegrown' senior players for the first time in a few years - I'm presuming that this will be the final season for Milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain on the playing staff.

It will be the 2024/25 season when Carvalho, Elliott and Morton have to be registered as senior players. A lot can change between now and then but as things stand I don't think the club will be eager to ship out the likes of Jones unless he himself is keen on a move before then.

Good interview with Joemez about staying on, signing new contract and a bit about his injuries...

I do really wish they’d give Jones a loan move for the season for his own sake - it’s handy to have him in the squad, but he’s at an age where he’d benefit a lot from regular football for a season.

We’ve seen his development stagnate a bit over the last while, have to figure actually playing and learning in competitive situations could kickstart him a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

how do you buy a 6th placed midfielder that knows what klopp wants in the 10 games a year he gets.

Hard enough to find someone available, that is right for the job, that wants to do that job and fits the wage structure.

Klopp more often than not seems to prefer to stick with the lads he knows.

Jones hasn't done to bad for his age.

He is only 21 played in 74 games across 3 seasons in one of the best two teams in the world and has 8 goals and 10 assists.

He has only played the full 90 minutes 22 times in those 3 seasons and 15 of those came in cup games

This is the season you would like to see him start and finish at least 20 to 30 games across the four competitions for him to start looking like he is progressing giving Klopp a headache.

I do think at times he is just to slow in his speed of thought however is that down to the lack of game time and would he get faster if he was playing more regulalry and the one thing he is to quick at is taking a shot that is not on.

I would wonder is that down to the Everton goal that he scored out of knowhere now he thinks he has that in him to do it all the time.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Advertisement

If he was 6th choice it’d be a no brainer to keep him around for the season, but he’s more like 8th or 9th choice. (Henderson, Fabinho, Oxlade Chamberlain, Milner, Thiago, Keita Elliott, and maybe even Carvalho)

As Coulson said, there’s a very good player in there that just needs time on the pitch to develop, and this year seems a great opportunity for that to happen while Milner and Ox are still around. Just think he deserves that opportunity to show what he can do as a player instead of forever waiting for a few rhythmless minutes here and there. Every time he plays this place erupts condemning him, when under the circumstances it seems very unfair to have this expectation to suddenly be up to speed out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I can't believe you think he's 8th or 9th choice. In my opinion the criticism of Jones is way over the top, it's approaching Henderson levels from a few years ago. There's a senior four in Fab, Henderson, Thiago and Keita but after that you're splitting hairs or picking depending on the opposition.

I'd bet Jones gets more game time than Milner and Ox for sure as he had more than both last year and missed 8-10 weeks of the season through injury where the other two where fit for most of it. It'll be him and Elliott fighting it out for the 5th and 6th spots imo. Milner coming on to see out games and Ox barely getting a look in like the second half of the season. Carvalho looks good but I'm not sure where he'll be played so can't make a guess on what he'll get.

I'd bet Jones gets more game time than Milner and Ox for sure as he had more than both last year and missed 8-10 weeks of the season through injury where the other two where fit for most of it.

Last season was a toss up between the three of them really who was 6th, 7th & 8th behind, Fab, Hedo, Thaigo, Naby & Elliott.

Jones mintues last season were 1,530 in 27 games across all four competitions with 1 goal and 4 assists and Jones missed 14 games with injury

Ox's minutes last season were 1,526 in 29 games across all four competitions with 3 goals and 3 assists and Ox missed 20 games with injury.

Milner's minutes last season were 1,371 in 39 games across all four competitions with 3 goals and 5 assists and Milner missed 9 games with injury.

Now Elliott is back fully fit I would say Jones is at least 6th choice for the midfield so he needs to show Klopp something to bump him up that list.

If Jones was fit he'd have been miles ahead of both. Where are you getting the Ox and Milner's games missed through injury from? Transfermarkt has them as available for every game. Which on second thought seems wrong.

Elliott only played 630 minutes due to his injury but it's early to say he'll be getting as many starts. I'd say him and Jones will get very similar level of minutes. Milner behind them and Ox a long way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jones showed great promise a few years ago when he was breaking in first, his progress seemed to slow when the squad was decimated with injuries and Fab/Henderson moved from midfield and all that mullarkey. This seemed to jolt his confidence, knock him back a bit, and his confidence doesn't seem to have recovered. I don't think he's slow at all, I think he looks like a player playing safe or almost second guessing what he's doing, rather than trusting his instincts and just doing his thing..

He's worth spending some more time on if his attitude is good, as one assumes it is when Jürgen is on for keeping him. The upside far outweighs the downside imho, and perhaps woth the 5 subs he'll get more chances under less pressure to find his way again.

He should be streets ahead of Milner who is 15 years older than him and if it's Milner Klopp keeps bringing on this season to close out games and not Jones that say alot of where Klopp's thinking is.

Ox is a strange on his confindence was shot last season if he gets that back he offers more than Jones at this stage of his career. I still wouldn't be surprised if Ox moves on before the window closes.

I still don't think Jones starts ahead of Fab, Hendo, Naby, Thaigo or Elliott so his big hope this season is the new 5 sub rule might get hm more chances.

• Advertisement

Jones was only 21 in January, he's still extremely young and only for injury he wasn't further ahead of Milner. It doesn't say a lot about Jones, Milner is fantastic at seeing out games due to his experience and is rightly used ahead of Jones in that situation.

Yeah, we'll see I suppose... I just really hope it doesn't feel like a lost year of development, as it feels like a crucial one for him. I really like Jones, but just don't see him getting the sort of consistent run he needs at this age - especially in the league. He has the technicals, he just needs the game-experience, particularly when it comes to passing onwards much quicker.

Using Carvalho as an example, we saw how much he developed in a year of regular football - 2839 minutes in the league, versus Jones 853. Being part of a settled team, where you know your place, is important at that age. Love to see the club put his career first, and get him playing regular first team ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's easy to forget how good Jones was playing last September/October time. He was arguably Liverpool's best player in the draw against Brentford in which he scored in. He was taken off just after he scored to make it 3-2. He followed that up with another brilliant performance away to Porto in the CL where he was involved in all 5 goals, getting 3 direct assists. He was trusted to start against Man City then after that where he contributed towards Salah's wonder goal. These games came sandwiched in between excellent games away to Man United and Norwich, in which he played as the DM. That eye injury threw him off course then, as can happen with form and momentum. Thiago came back from injury around then and cemented his place in the team.

If we can get him back to that form, he is more than capable of being a good squad player for the side moving forwards. I would prefer him to stay for the coming season again.

Decent interview with Fabinho, talking about settling in the new guys, Mo's contract and trying to persuade Mane to stay...

Suarez on a one year rolling deal would be useful, of course he'd not play many games, but his influence is huge in the squad

Strange that no one is snapping him up, but I'm sure he has 20 plus offers, he just wants to stay at a top club,

• Advertisement

Four years ago today, this man walked into Liverpool

Hope this loan goes better for him than last seasons one when the club recalled him because he wasn't get games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Rhys Williams has gone on loan to Blackpool

I'd love to be wrong, but I'd be surprised if we see him play for us again. Hopefully he has a great season and sets himself up well for a permanent move next summer

Salah in the new Ricky & Morty well sort of he is in the new adidas crossover ad with Rick & Morty.

Suarez was a great player, but an absolute runt. I’m not sure you want his personality around on big money and not getting a game.

Post edited by Riesen_Meal on

Yeah, I'd be really surprised if he plays a competitive game for us again... might get a run out next pre-season but that's about it. He's just well behind all the current first teamers (and Nat), and I'd say would be behind the next batch coming up like Quansah and Koumetio as well. His lack of the pace is the real killer. Hopefully this loan goes well and he can get a decent permanent move to the Championship next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Rick and Morty is fantastic! One of the funniest and most creative shows out there at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Such a stupid title when the outcome is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Rhys Williams needs to grow back the VVD hairstyle!

• Advertisement
Advertisement