Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

He did offer to pay but was told that the British police force wasn’t for sale.

I see that the Queen is unhappy about the whole Cambridge family traveling together in case of a serious accident which would leave Harry next in line after Charles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Harry won't be next in line, he's stepped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Regardless of that, he’s still 6th in line to the throne.

He doesn't want to king. If he doesn't want to the future Duke of York (official spare), why the hell would he want to be King? Just because you are a certain number in the pecking order doesn't mean you have to take the crown if a series of unfortunate accidents and incidents somehow see you shuffled to the top of the pile. A reigning Monarch abdicated in the 1930s so the then Duke of York took his place. I don't think the current Duke of York would be deemed acceptable though, despite the title essentially meaning you are the official spare. Not sure if it would then pass onto his little brother or his horse faced daughter. Anyway, it is highly unlikely to ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I don't think that she has talent and I don't think that her lack of success had anything to do with not sleeping her way to the top. I've never really watched anything with her in it, well she didn't really do much other than small bits in Suits and a few seconds in commercials. I think she got to deliver a pizza to someone's door in some other film. The clips I've seen of her acting have been forgettable and I've heard lots of people who did watch Suits say that they found her very annoying.

She's not particulary attractive and she's not a great actress, that's why she's unsuccessful. She hired publicists to let it be known that she was going to the UK to look for a rich football player as a husband. There's a word for someone like that, it's not a nice word. Take a look at her closest friends, all married to very wealthy men who are older than them and that's what she wanted. As for Harry, he could never keep a girlfriend. Most women don't want a guy with Mummy issues whose also a narcissistic asshole.

She's a mediocre actress who wanted a wealthy high profile man, any man would have done. A career as a footballers wife would have been about Megan's level. I don't think she played him, I think they're perfect for each other. They both have delusions about their importance in the world. He has no real influence anymore, neither of them is trusted by anyone in Holywood, the whole BLM thing they hitched their wagon to has pretty much died, until the Democrats wheel it out for the next Presidential election. They don't get invited anywhere. The problem is, there's only room for one huge ego in any marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I may be wrong but I don't think that their duke titles have any official bearing on their entitlement to the throne. Andrew will be DoY until he dies. Harry is DoS and whether or not he's in line or not. I think that Harry could have been given any of the 'spare' dukedoms, all really except the Connaught one which was never going to go down well politically with their neighbours, even if it is an honorary title.

While it's customary that say, DoY would be closely associated with proximity to the throne, it's all to do with the order of birth when it comes to succession. Andrew was given that one at his wedding. At the time, Harry and William were tiny, the Cambridge kids didn't exist, so it made sense to give him one of the more prestigious ones (and knowing him he'd want the best one from mummy!)

When Charles becomes king, Wills will become Prince of Wales, and Charles, being king, can then pass his Cornwall dukedom to William. He can then have both the Cornwall and Cambridge dukedoms but when George comes of age it's likely that the Cambridge one would pass to him. They all have a shítload of titles anyway from all four countries in the UK so the duke/ earl titles don't really mean anything in terms of succession.

If something awful happened to everyone else in line and Harry for some reason did get the kingship I don't think that he'd abdicate. Meghan being Queen? They wouldn't pass that up, nor all the wealth and power associated with the role. But what would be more likely to happen is that republicanism would suddenly become very important in the UK and they'd dissolve the monarchy before letting H&M within an asses roar of the throne. While many people arent keen on Meghan for many valid reasons, there was always a large cohort of the British public who hated her simply for being mixed race, and not being British, from back when she was just a random girlfriend of Harrys. They barely tolerate Camilla yet it's widely understood that what C&C did in the 80s was entirely normal behaviour from folk in that circle, and she's so British that if you halved her you'd have a union jack running the length of her, like a stick of rock from Blackpool pier.

Oh, I get that DoY has no official capacity, but traditionally he was expected to be always on stand-by and ready to step up and frequently throughout history has had to. Several Kings have been former DoY. The current monarch's father was DoY. DoY has always been spare number 1. I wonder who, if anyone will get that moniker when Uncle Sleaze bag snuffs it? Will they bother with all that, I wonder?

It would really show the other two up if they wanted to take the helm. I really don't think the British would stand for that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

😉...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That’s not really how the succession act works tho, if something were to happen which meant the crown fell to Harry, he wouldn’t have the option not to take it, he’d be king weather he likes it or not. It would then be up to him to abdicate if he wishes to, but that in itself is a constitutional crisis which the UK really doesn’t need.

He would have to abdicate if he doesn't want it. You would presume that not wanting to be a working Royal implies he doesn't want the job of Head of State. Would it be a constitutional crisis? Depending on who's around following the series of unfortunate events that would wipe out all the Cambridges, surely it would go to Uncle Sleaze Bag or failing that, Princess Horse Face? Or would Little Brother and his line come first? There's certainly enough first cousins around if all the Queen's offspring are gone. Isn't that the point of having a hierarchy of heirs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

realistically somebody spelling it out for him that he is a nobody in the great scheme of things can't be done as it's factually incorrect, he is not a nobody but is prince harry, son of the future king and grand son of the queen.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Eeee, I thought you disregarded royalty, so quite a strange appreciation of Harry in that matter from you then. I thought they were all clowns in your eyes...

no it's just simple fact rather then appreciation, all though i am in no doubt being part of the institution has had effects on him.

i think monarchy is nonsense yes, but ultimately it does exist so recognising what prince harry is doesn't conflict with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

The Queen's actual children don't enjoy the type or level of security Harry is cribbing about. So even if he were to be granted it (which just isn't going to happen), it isn't forever anyway and is temporary.

There's also the fact that he doesn't actually live in the UK anymore. He left and has spent the bones of maybe 3 weeks in the UK since leaving. He has been living as a private citizen, without any form of police protection, in a country with a much higher crime rate than the UK. In all that time, I can't recall any incident which would validate his security concerns. When he is in the UK on royal properties or at official royal events, he has been covered by high level security. The Home Office have said that he's been granted the special privilege of having his security needs reassessed on a regular basis. If he was being rational and in touch with reality then he would accept his circumstances and situation simply doesn't warrant the security he feels he's entitled to. I think he would the type who is obsessed with his image and the climb down from what he was used to was a major blow to his ego i.e. from motorcades while on duty to VW van transfers from and back to the airport for when he comes back for intermittent second row gigs. Mike Tindall reportedly called him a bellend. That seems accurate. Harry is an entitled bellend.

Post edited by valoren on

the evidence doesn't match your description of harry, the actual evidence and reality shows he is quite down to earth in reality and is not bothered about motor convoys ETC.

the security stuff he is referring to is for the UK only, not the US.

ultimately, you are just posting what you want to be the case, perpetuating a description that you want him to fall into that isn't backed up by evidence.

He was born into the risk. Yes, him and the rest of them. Do they or did they have cases regarding security with the Home Office? Only him. Met police is not for private sale. Fact. His offer to pay is thus (knowingly) baseless and, to my mind, a PR tactic. Fact. He's no longer a working Royal. Fact. If he was and was US based in that working capacity he would have some semblance of a case for getting IPP status i.e. an RPO like what his mother was offered. But he isn't. He stepped down. He is a private citizen now. It had security consequences. When Canada pulled the plug on paying for security then that was the shove to move to the US. From what I can see he is a guy who had want for nothing but then reality (i.e. private security is expensive) hit him and, with it having to come out of his own póca, he is clamoring to reduce those expenses by manipulating public sentiment and his wealthy family with his born into the risk guff. The UK is racist but I want them to pay for my security and offer nothing in return. I get you staunchly defend him but from what I can see he really is an entitled bellend. I don't know the guy but if there is any shred of veracity to Tindall's remark then he would be in a better position to make a comment about his character. From following the case and their antics then I would sway towards Tindall actually saying something so derogatory.

none of that is relevant to what i said or your original point.

my previous point therefore stands.

If something terrible happened to the Cambridge family then technically Harry would be next in line. Him leaving the UK and the Royal family doesn't necessarily mean he would not want to be king. He might be of a mind to put aside his desire for a more liberating life in order to experience the status of King Harry.

After Harry the dastardly Andrew would be next in line and then Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie next.

But if they have yet to reach their majority in the unlikely event the throne becomes vacant then someone old enough needs to be Regent. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Harry is back in the news again, this time delivering a keynote speech to the UN for Nelson Mandela Day. Setting aside what he said as its just generic word salad, me, my mother, my wife, me, me, roe vs wade, me, my mum, etc.....

I cant figure out why he was picked. He never met the man, I actually googled to see if there was a photo of them meeting ever and couldnt find one, surely a photo would be out there if it happened. There must be loads of people who actually met him, who were involved in that movement back when he was alive who are prominent figures who could havd been picked. If they were desperate Sporty Spice would have been a more suitable candidate considering they met, even Naomi Campbell or David Beckham have met him more than once.

Considering the struggle that Mandela was involved in and Harry represents literally extreme white priviledge, having a heriditary title due to who his parents are and inherited wealth off the back of that and who is actively clinging onto that title and monetising it, I cant see why Harry was the person they chose. I wonder if this is a gig that one's PR could lobby to get.

Interesting that both his parents met Mandela yet he only mentioned the picture of his mother meeting him, once, and not the pictures of his father, who met him several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not many turned up..

he was picked because he understands highly the issues he gives speeches on dispite his privilage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Does not seem to understand His "White" privilege. 😁

It's what you pay PR agencies for. To secure gigs like that to aggrandize yourself. Make me look important being the obvious remit. Judging by the show up Harry isn't. The speaker introducing him as Duke of Wessex summing up the ridiculousness of it. It's why it seemingly makes no sense at all why he is there speaking about Mandela or poverty. Showing up in expensive garb via a private jet and then preaching about poverty and then back to the jet. GTFO. All for cameras as there was nothing in his speech he couldn't have delivered over a big screen zelensky-zoom style. Probably was a good idea judging by his appearance.

Look who got an advance copy of the book. Out Thursday and the Amazon UK bestseller before it even comes out. Ruh Roh!

She probably got a copy straight from the presses! After all, she was glad M didn't go to the funeral. If that's true, you wonder who leaked it. Couldn't imagine her staff would do it without her permission!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

It's a photomontage. The Queen was taking out this sandwich in the original photo

The "Thank Goodness Meghan isn't coming" really cuts to the bone about Meghans character. Also shows that her going was open ended even so soon after the Oprah bombshells. It actually shows that she didn't want to be there considering she'd flown while pregnant with Archie to NY. She was expecting Lilibet but I'd give her the benefit of the doubt with Covid factored in. That said, she was free to show up. Imagine having lost your husband of 74 years and a bright spot, a positive gleaned from your grief is a feeling of 'Yes! Meghan won't be coming!". It must have been such a relief for her to know that they could all relax and grieve as a family in peace and private without having to tolerate such an arsehole particularly so soon after the Oprah interview. Harry, being a dolt, could be managed. He knows what side his bread is buttered and so there would be no theatrics to keep them all sweet (and get any inheritance from Phil..lol). I can only imagine the quiet indignation of having to keep silent if she, who worked less days as a Royal than the years the Queen was married to Phil, did show up and pretended as if she actually gave a damn about the DOE. Their blood would have been very understandably boiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I assume you mean "deeply" understands. Well I disagree and here is my evidence:

1. He didnt understand highly the impact of racial slurs on people when well into adulthood he was calling arab people and people from pakistan by commonly used racial slurs. He also assured the press that his then girlfriend from Zimbabwe was not that sort of African. and that is only what was caught on camera. Imagine the stuff we didnt hear. plus the nazi uniform episode. Plenty of evidence that adult Harry does not understand highly, or he doesnt care.

2. Mental health issues. By their own words, Harry was unable to get mental health treatment for his suicidal wife. Despite himself attending mental health services during that time and being in a charity with his brother to help people access mental health services. Harry by her own words told her to go upstairs and get ready for a public event which was by her account extremly stresful and she put on a show of being ok even though she was very much not ok, by her own words. So he does not understand highly nor it would seem have any empathy to people suffering from extreme mental stress.

3. Environmental issues which he touched on in his speach.........Private jets, multiple, frequently, sometimes to go short distances, 16 bathrooms, multiple gas guzzling SUVs........need I go on. Either highly understanding and not caring......or simply not really getting it.

Advertisement