Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duties from UK to IRL. Less than €150.

Options
  • 18-07-2022 8:15pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Must've missed this but it seems that, a parcel under the value of €150 does not attract import duties. I wasn't aware of this as I was on to Torm today lamenting that I'd like to buy some kit from them but.......import duties would apply. They told me alright that VAT their side would be removed and reapplied this side. That's OK.

When Do You Have to Pay Import Duty on Orders From the UK to Ireland?

No Duty on Orders under €150 

Firstly – the good news is that import duty does not have to be paid on any packages coming to Ireland from the UK that are valued at under €150. 

Note -the €150 limit is per package/order , NOT per item. If you plan on ordering 2 or more items with a combined value of more than €150 , you will avoid any worries about import duty by ordering them separately.

Calculation of Import Duty on Orders over €150

• When an order from the UK has a value of more than €150 – then customs duty might apply, depending on the items.
    • If the product’s country of origin is the UK – then there will be NO customs/import duty.
    • The rate of import duty will vary according to the category of product. 
    • Many products have a zero rate of duty. (See below for examples)
    • Some products , such as trainers made in China, for example, will have a rate as high as 16.9% rate. See some more examples below. 

From https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’ve gotten socks from Pongo.cc to the value of €50 and being caught for duty each time.

Country of origin is the key text there, even if Tom UK but made in China say then you will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Nah, that's not duty, it's a special tax for people mad enough to pay 50 quid for a pair of socks 😂😂😂

are you sure that wasn't VAT + collection fee?

It was two pairs actually 😂 & worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's what I'm thinking. There is no duty on sales under €150. Duty is a separate charge to VAT & Handling and those 2 still apply to non-EU purchases.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ok.....there is no duty and I appreciate you'll pay Irish VAT. But the handling charge......they must be milking that. Any guidelines on "Handling Charge" or do they just make it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Regardless of there being no duty, a customs clearance entry needs to be prepared.

that’s what you’re being charged for (aswell as VAT obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Each carrier has their own handling fee. An Post is by far the lowest,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭geotrig

I got caught for something recently that should have 0% as far as I see on any duty charge info , it wasnt huge amount compared to the vat and handling fee,but 14eur something was charged but there was no way to challenge it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Each courier has their own fee, but UPS is by far the worst, they’ll charge you something like 15 quid minimum.

An Post’s fee is fairly small and probably more than justified tbh, the amount of packages with customs they’ve had to deal with due to Brexit is mental I’d imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

FedEx seemingly just make their fees up on a whim.

Yes.....it seems to be the Irish Carrier that decides on fees. Months ago I got "stuff" (not cycling) from Glasgow to the valve of about £25. Paid almost the same again in fees, about a year ago. FedEx if I remember. Possibly UPS but reckon Fedex.

So, Torm use Royal Mail......depends on who takes this up when it reaches Ireland. Any ideas?

An Post seems to be the cheapest on handling fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

As a customs and VAT advisor I can confirm for consignments with a value of under €150 no duty should apply on imports from outside the EU into EU. This specific rule came in July 2021 as part of a range of changes applying to eCommerce

VAT applies though regardless of the value. Prior to July 2021 there was an exemption for parcels under €22.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think DHL (via work) are €14.50 handling fee, a lot of brokers are much more. An Post are by far the most reasonable. Fed Ex are a pain in the hoop. Tried for months to pay them VAT, eventually had to lodge a complaint after they sent it to a debt collectors despite me emailing several times to arrange payment. Eventually they apologised and wrote off the bill, I paid the VAT. Two months later I recieve money into my account from them totalling what I paid them with no context given, not even an email. needless to say, I did not bother to contact them.

DHL sometimes don't even bother with the handling fee if the paperwork is in good order. I've become quite adept at the customs cover letter and import licences (for work stuff, not bike stuff). After An Post they would be my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Royal Mail aren't necessarily An Post these days - my last Royal Mail parcel came via courier.

An Post the cheapest, and a few times I've had orders arrived and then got the text to pay (and when I went to pay, it said it was void). Most I had factored in, but one was an .ie website (not cycling related), so I'm extra careful to check actual location now which isn't necessarily easily found.

But what I'm wondering is............who do Royal Mail hand over the good to at this end? Do they have a "deal" with An Post of do any courier crowd pick it up (doubt it)

I agree with some posts above, FedEx and UPS will skin you alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For parcels, I think (but I am not certain) my last "royal mail" order came with DHL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I imagine there is a logistics team there who pick and choose couriers based on the best prevailing rate. For years I imagine that was An Post, now i imagine it might vary with parcel size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement