Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's the significant effect cloud has on temperature. Without those interruptions after 11 am it surely would have hit 34 C. But the Catch-22 is that we can't get such a warm airmass this far north without some cloudiness.

Just after the end of this graph it shot up again and eventually maxed out at 33.1 at 15:30.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's taken 150 years for today to happen so even if it happens again in 30 years time that would be amazing but by then i'll be far too old to enjoy it if I'm still alive by that point! Basically it takes uppers of 22 to 25 to reach what we had today and that has never happened in modern times until today. We require such high uppers because of our poor Geography. England can get similar temperatures to what we had today by just getting +12 to +15 uppers due to a much larger landmass and France sitting to their south and they are an extra several 100km from the Atlantic ocean. Today really was something special.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

According to the article Danno linked above re-examining the Kilkenny temp, they don't actually know anymore where within the castle grounds the station was located... so I'm not sure how you can make any comparison at all with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The rate of temperature increse in the sunny spells was incredible, especially given it was already around 30C. Just another 15 minutes of sun at the Phoenix park would have broken the 33.3C record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Surely there's a higher chance these days given the warming of the planet that it will likely happen again sooner then we think. Could be next Yr or just a few yrs from now for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I’m hoping it’s just 15 years until we get another similar event. then again it is nearly 30 years since the summer of 1995 & 46 years since 1976

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Billcarson

4 yrs since summer 2018. 9 since 2013. 16 since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah I think we’ve a very good chance of beating the all time record in the next five years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Saw Callan at 33.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

9:00pm 27.9

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The summers of 1995, 2013, 2018 and even July 2021 were great but those were Azores Highs sitting over us for at least a week or more (much more in 1995) but we relied on home grown heat and sea breezes were a thing with generally +10 to +16 uppers so usual places like Shannon and Mt Dillon would get to 30C or a touch higher. Todays event was a perfect alignment involving low pressure and a toasty express from Algeria crossing a particularly boiling Spain to achieve todays result. It was a plume event and not the typical high pressure scenario in previous decent summers. 30C over a large part of Leinster hasn't really happened before because today's setup was so rare and sea breezes were minimal combined with these extreme uppers. Up to this year I would say Ireland never gets plumes, they always go north and then swing north-eastwards over SE UK/London and sweep up the North sea in Scandi, avoiding Ireland alltogether. Today was unique, the sun, moon and stars all aligned to get us to today. The heat today was exceptional in Leinster and it is also exceptional that I have recorded 3 days this week with 27C or more and possibly still might bag another 27C tomorrow if we're lucky. For Meath/Dublin at least this spell of weather this July has far exceeded any of the years mentioned above for high twenties and low 30s.

If we had an extra day to play with tomorrow like England has, I'm pretty sure that 33.3C would be smashed tomorrow but unfortunately we lose the uppers quickly tomorrow and today was our only chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I have access to the 5 minute temperature and humidity data from an NSAI calibrated fixed location external ambient sensor(in a radiation shield) in south Dublin. Located above the ground in shade by engineers from an accredited lab early 2018. Obviously the location is related to a risk assessment specific to the business but the data is interesting all same.

Up until yesterday the the overall maximum temperature for the monitoring location (2018 on ) - 27.2°C was logged at 15.40 on the 21st July 2021. Today we recorded a 31.2°C at 14.10.

+4°C wow

If an athlete made this % of improvement he would be checked for steroids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I found the last years heatwave & 2018s far hotter in athenry. I think it was because the heat was more sustained those events.

it was 30c in athenry today but I don’t think that was a record even though the station was only opened in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Out sitting in the garden and felt drops of rain. So looked up to see where it was coming from..

That dark streak are the rain drops. Barely nothing made it to ground.

Unusual cloud formations all the same for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I woke up today naked and my bedroom window open. Took me a few seconds to realise what happened. I woke up soaked in sweat and had to strip off and open the window and then I fell back asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Kilkenny is a ‘hotspot’ due to local environment as you say, probably because it’s surrounded by hills and is in a valley?

The proof is that in July 1983 Kilkenny recorded 31c on five consecutive days which is a feat that no other place in Ireland could match, shame no official recordings are taken there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Still 28 at casement 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Lads how long is this going to last? Will we get a few more days out of her. Really enjoying it and hopefully a sign of summers to come 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It finished. Normal Irish summer weather of in and around the 20 degrees for the next while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

All over by Wednesday in the east, in most other areas tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There is an official station in Kilkenny - a climatological one. It is manually read once a day as opposed to hourly at the synoptic stations. There are many climatological stations around Ireland:

Historical Data - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

Use the map to go in on your region to see how well it is covered.

A one day wonder, once in a lifetime chance for Leinster. The Atlantic will be back in business from tomorrow i'm afraid.

Majority of hot spells going forward will be back to what we usually get, Azores high and home grown heat for a few days or possibly a week, maybe the odd weak transitional swipe with heat from the south lasting a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭Christy42

Absolutely the answer I wanted. 20 is perfect for me. This just torture.

However I would be shocked if 30 didn't happen again in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

You haven't actually stated any of that is weather related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes today was quite incredible for temperatures given that we had 33c today in dublin and as pointed out it was heat from Algeria that got it that hot, i hope we have a 30c day in August but that's still 3c away from the record

30C will happen most summers for a day or so but that will be from the typical Azores high scenario of sea breezes limiting high temperatures to areas well inland and western hotspots like Shannon and Mt Dillon. Majority of our warm to hot spells have south-easterly or easterly wind directions from them and Leinster struggles with the temperatures in these scenarios where 24 to 28C is the most we get in this situations, and temperatures slide away quickly after 7pm while western areas stay a bit toastier into the evening.

If we had an extra day to play with tomorrow like England has, I'm pretty sure that 33.3C would be smashed tomorrow but unfortunately we lose the uppers quickly tomorrow and today was our only chance.

Why is it necessarily better to have higher temperatures, though?

The vast majority of people find this weather uncomfortable at times. Celebrating that it wasn't even hotter, for the sake of meeting some artificial target of reaching a "milestone", just doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

10:00pm 26.1c

Advertisement