Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays max

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's not wrong. It's also reported on XC weather, not just on Met Eireann. The temperature in Dublin was printing out mid twenties till 3am on yesterdays models and they have verified.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

24.0c atm (at 2330) and rising in Greystones. Warmest of the day! Sailing club was reporting 25c a little while ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Temperature here in Dunshaughlin back up to 24C as well. We're possibly reaching the peak of the upper air temperatures around now and the bungee jump begins from dawn.

Metar for Casement at 11pm shows 10 knots Clear Skies 27 degrees.

EIME 182200Z 23010KT 190V290 CAVOK 27/10 Q1012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not a mistake there's still some of that warmth blowing onto East Coast and there's cloud acting as a heavy blanket.

Casements max temperature tomorrow may occur just after midnight. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Great explanation, thanks Gonzo..

Yea its been very disappointing for us so far this summer but will take what ever we can get.

Would be great now to get one more good blast that may last a bit longer up this way, but with August approaching fast im not holding out too much hope on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

23.2c here in my area of meath, very cloudy and no breeze now either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I wonder is 27 degrees a record for this time of day. Curious to see it if can stay up around 25 degrees at the turn of midnight, that would be quite something. I seem to recall last July in parts of the midlands and over towards shannon that temps stayed up into 20s at midnight but I certainly dont remember seeing a temp like 25-27 degrees at midnight. I wonder what the record high temp at midnight is, might as well throw another record into the mix for the day thats in it 😄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Stayed under the fog most of the day out by the coast here in Kerry and just got up to 21.6C at my station, much warmer in Tralee under mostly clear skies, probably in the mid 20'S and saw Kerry airport getting up to 28C rounded.

Currently 16.8C

could see over a 10C difference between the W and the E tomorrow.

• Advertisement

10 stations went beyond 30.0C. Exceptional. We're lucky to see 1 or 2 stations evey few years reach 30C. Some summers we don't even go beyond 26C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

It’s a major struggle to get to sleep. I really should have the fan on. Thought last night was bad but this is ten times worse. I wouldn’t be moaning if I didn’t have work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite a few climatological ones to report yet too. Durrow Laois 30.8c and Kilkenny City 30.9c (this from their PWS though - will have to wait till after 10am tomorrow for manual thermometer verification).

I'm going to try and stay up another hour, not a chance of sleeping in ths heat, it's worse than anything in Spain because we have no air conditoning or a pool in the garden to dip into.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

Midnight 24.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EdensTempleX

Not a bad little country with weather like this 🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

18 July was indeed a historic day. I just hope we can get something similar not too far down the line and maybe for a little longer so we can surpass the 33.3c record from 1887 once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Temperatures generally 19-21 across much of Dublin (at 11pm update anyway). Absolutely fine for sleeping IMO once you let some air into the house post sun down. You got to prepare for the hot days, curtains drawn and windows closed on the sunny side of the house or else you're screwed for later and basically had your house acting like a greenhouse. Only so much opening the windows can do at night if you let the indoor temp hit 28c+. That’s a serious temperature gradient between Phoenix and Casement. You must be able to feel the transition if you were to travel between the two.

Back from the hotter continent myself and I must say this 20 degrees I’ve landed into feels baltic. Mad how quickly your body can adjust for the searing heat of elsewhere.

EDIT: Casement drops 5c to 22c now. I'd be amazed if that wasn't an error so. Who lit a fire by the station to try break some 11pm records huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

It seems crazy that the all-time record is only 6 degrees higher than Casement at 11pm Hahahha.

• Advertisement

Casement 22 degrees at midnight

Was hitting 30 here, Finner got over 25c. Malin area a different story. Not as hot as last Julys spell locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Now look at that 🤩 you don't see that often here, the chart tells the story itself

21C at Dunshaughlin at 2am. starting to understand why the folks in the SE of England don't like this. In buckets of sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Well we may not of gotten a record breaking day temperature but we may have a record low if temps stay at 20c or so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It wasn't an error. Models forecasted it & it was referenced by Met for another spike in temperature on the east coast around 9pm or so to last a few hours before coming back down.

South Dublin was 22 around 8pm and back up to 25/26 by 11pm and then dipping back a little to around 22 by midnight/1am .

The TAF for Casement also gave 28 for 11pm.

It wasn't an error at all.

An exceptionally warm night by irish standards

Post edited by stephenjmcd on

Quick look at meteologix, I think Belfast airport was the only place to stay above 20c+

La Hague on the French North coast was 22.6c at 2am, 1 hour later it was 32.8c. I thought it must be a mistake but French met this morning “In La Hague the absolute record in maximum was broken with 32.8 to 3 hours last night.” Incredible

Previous record was 32.3c set 2016. Station opened 1921.

UK set new night time record 26C minimum was recorded in Emley Moor, West Yorkshire. I see 10 stations(out of 167) 24c+ as the minimum on weather online,some of these are rounded to 24c though. The previous record was 23.9C.

UK has 80% chance of recording 40c today according to the met office.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It is easy to see why temperatures might shoot up at night by looking at soundings. After a hot day, the immediate surface layer can cool down quickly in the evening but just a few tens of metres up the hot air still remains. Take the 23Z ascent for Herstmonceux in southern England, for example. Surface air temperature 21 °C but just 100 metres up still 29 °C. All it takes is for a slight breeze to mix down this warmer air from above. The same most likely happened at Casement and Le Harve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Serious storms about to hit South Coast!!

Advertisement