Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Dieback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No idea, if you cut them and they have fight in them, they'll sucker away.

It may be that cutting them will buy time for them.

Do trees build immunity?

When hazel trees are cut for coppicing. They can live up to a 1000 years, 7 to 10 times longer than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Ya, same as that. No symptoms showing up in trees on the farm here yet, although it's in the locality.

I'm of a mind only to cut ones which may be dangerous or roadside, as if even 10% might be resistant, it would be an awful shame to have cut them.

One thing I notice is that dieback seems a hell of a lot worse in trees close to drains or rivers. Anyone know why this is?

Seems so.

No drains or any surface water on the farm here, so maybe that's how we've avoided it so far.

It's probably just a matter of time though?

I think so, it's airborne.

I wonder did the mild winter accelerate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's been in the country since 2009, or earlier, research began in Denmark a few years before that, but the imported trees kept coming into the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I read before that some will get it and die, some will get it and survive and some are resistant and wont get it at all. I cut down a 20 year old ash with dieback, it seems to be growing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can confirm this , I successfully rescued two Ash trees in my garden , honestly thought they were dead, severely pruned them , thinking I'll keep trunks as a feature in garden. Two years later, they are in full bloom, I do notice some spots of Die Back and remove these stems.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I severely pruned them , this is them this morning.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Did you just leave the trunk?

I read that there wont be an ash tree left in Europe because of dieback but if there are resistant ash trees, even if only 2 or 3%, surely that will mean they will survive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭148multi

Well whatever trees survive will probably be wiped out by the emerald ash beetle

• Advertisement

I see woodpeckers are also effective at killing them, maybe we should try to release them (woodpeckers) now? I know some (woodpeckers) made there way here in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi, sorry was out, yes I left the main trunk and some branches but literally remove all bud, foliage, essentially left with trunk and a few thick branches.

I've a Theory and it's only a guess.

Removing all and any growth near the ground or base seems to help. I had believed these two were gone and pruned severely thinking just leave a feature.

These are 20 year old trees and I've hard younger trees less likely to survive. I should say, I've an adjoining site, and many Ash have died. It's a bewildering disease, doesn't seem to affect other species of Ash, I've a beautiful mountain Ash right beside these two Ash trees and it thriving.

I may just have been lucky, I can't explain it, Die back was confirmed, I'm in the Midlands and it's rampant.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭standardg60

Mountain ash is a completely different species, they're not affected

The species will survive but it will lose its dominant position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭148multi

What tree's are best suited to provide shade and shelter for animals in place of the ash

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I was wondering what trees will take over myself today. First thought was Sycamore, grows strong and seeds prolifically. But realistically, it will be whatever is growing beside the dead Ash.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Big fan of Lime myself - great for pollinators this time of year too

There's a few lime trees up the road from me and you can hear the humming sounds 10 meters away at the moment.

You could replace the Ash with Birch, or Hornbeam if you want something bushy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya have heard birch would be good in damp areas. There is supposed to be an improved strain of birch that produces better quality timber than what we usually get from birch. Cherry might be another option too. I think have a look around locally and see what is growing well. Oak supports a lot of biodiversity.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

It's a big question locally, as due to our shallow soil type the ONLY type of tree that grows naturally around here is Ash!

If some Ash don't survive, it seems whitethorn will be the new largest tree for miles around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Planting of trees should be encouraged more. Just waiting to see what comes naturally isn't a great strategy.

Historically most ditches and forests bore little resemblance to what would have arisen from natural regeneration. More of a modern thing to just wait and see what grows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Feck it anyway. Signs of it in our Ash trees here. I had a closer look during the week. Trees nearer the motorway seem to be more infected, but they may be younger. Our place is covered in Ash do it will destroy the place if it kills everything.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dh1985

Unfortunately there is widespread signs of it all over the country. I had seen it in some young ash 4-5 years ago. There is still lots of healthy ash in the same hedgerows today but it is spreading. It looks to be all over the country at this stage. Huge pity as ireland is very light on good mature trees as it is without this wiping out the most common tree we have. I have started planting sycamore and alder as replacements.

It's very strange there is no incentive to start planting trees that will be around in 100 years time as opposed to the shite they are planting as part of foresty schemes. Even with all the environmental schemes the last 20 years have any initiative required the planting of native deciduous trees that future generations will admire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

First pic shows the damage. That pic was taken on the tree on the far right of the 2nd pic.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Originally people thought the ash trees planted along the motorways were the cause of bringing it into the country.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Same here there is barely an ash in any direction which looks healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭893bet

When you start looking for it actively you notice how widespread and advanced it is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

One of the trees I took down- I’m presuming that’s it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭gk5000

No,

Google black heart ash

It's a non fungal staining, non structural, but affects rougly 50% of ash trees over 60 yrs old and nearly all over 100.

• Advertisement

Also known as olive ash, beautiful color and grain

Advertisement