Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Buz087

Mine is stuck at the dealership for a Stop Sale notice from BMW. No contact for over a week on what is happening and they have had the car since the end of June.

I would question the dealers and their transparency over what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

0-100km/h in 5.1s, very decent (official figure 5.7s) for the 40

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ghk125

Do you know what the stop sale relates to?

Yes, there is an issue with the Valet Parking functionality. I believe it is software related but they won't tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Could be the same issue these guys seeing here: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1936271

Apparently an update should be out on the 18th for the fix.

That's my problem, do a bit of searching and you will find out that information. But for a premium brand and in the interests of customer service, you would think that the dealer would have the courtesy of disclosing that to the customer instead of not making contact with them for over 5 days.

That's my problem and in my view, some of them have lost the art of customer service and don't give a flying f**k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seems odd that they hold back on registering and delivering the cars for something trivial that can be fixed later via a software update? I’d never heard of a Valet Parking Function until now!!

Nyland is really on a roll here with the i4. Second best time ever on his 1000km challenge after the Tesla Model 3 Performance (also in perfect circumstances)

And nobody in their right mind would want to drive 1000km on public roads quicker than in 9 hours anyway, you need a few breaks, even with 2 drivers.

Post edited by unkel on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

Did a drive earlier and got very similar results to Bjørn. Used 15% battery to travel 66km, 120kph, comfort mode, AC on, which equates to 440km motorway range. Trip meter said it used an average of 18.1kWh/100km for the journey. Range will obviously drop a lot in cold wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

looks like the 40 has the best of both worlds, RWD, fast charging & quick (ish) & with a big enough battery to get a real world 440km, but would I swap my model 3 performance for one....probably not...sorry but i just hate the hideous grille

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Think they cannot complete sale on a car with an active recall on it.

I'm hoping my second i4 (M50) next Jan will not have any of these teething issues and will have all the options I've ordered but I ain't holding my breath.

For anyone still interested... My current e40 is still at the dealership, this is now day 70 and the car is no closer to being repaired.

Current status is: "We are waiting on DC charge connections and HV cables, due to us the 23rd"

Three weeks to deliver cables eh....

Sound like the supply chain to the dealers is on a par with Tesla 😂

Call me paranoid but I'd be betting the dealer only has one mechanic/technician qualified to work on BEVs and he's in the Canaries for his two weeks holidays 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I feel sorry for whoever ends up buying your 40 model whenever they finally fix it. They’ll sell it for list price or very close to I’m guessing.

Depends on the nature of the fix I guess.

Someone will either get a fully spec'd car that has everything in it (lots of cars now being produced without all the extras that I have in my e40) with a nice ceramic coating and less than 1k km on the clock....

If the fix is good it could be a great buy.

If the car is actually a lemon it could be a nightmare for the new owner.

That's the gamble with any used car I guess 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Saw that earlier pop up on youtubs but those are unrealistic granny speeds he is driving at.

Still I think it's hilarious it beats Tesla LR, should hopefully silence the fanboyism for about 5 mins 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was charging at Ionity beside an I4 40 yesterday in wexford. We pulled in at 20% and left about 30-35 minutes later with 85%. He was already charging and on 40% when we arrived and was still below 80% when we left. Do they charge slow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Apparently you need to set a charger on the BMW nav in order for the battery to precondition for a fast charge. Otherwise speeds will be lower. I've only ever charged mine from AC though so I can't comment on how true that is.

Maybe they had the fans set to silent which limits the speed it charges at? Surely battery/ambient temps play huge factor too etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I've no idea what your driving, but the size of the battery is critical here when comparing.

TWO WEEK REVIEW

The Good

The eDrive 40 is a very comfortable, solid, quiet, relaxing car to drive with great range, surprisingly efficient on motorways.

I love the HUD. I assumed I would find this to be a gimmick and disable. Instead I find it incredibly useful, and like one-pedal driving I don't think I could buy a car without it in future. Having current speed, current and upcoming speed limit in line of vision (but not in the way) is a far superior UX to looking at the dashboard behind the wheel.

Autopilot is very, very competent. Stays centred, not fidgety, doesn't try to exit if the dotted line is missing on exit lane, engages immediately after changing lanes, handles motorbikes well, so far no phantom breaking. Its not perfect, and can get confused (very rarely so far), but it makes long boring motorway/dual carriageway driving very relaxing. Having a touch rather than torque based sensor for the steering wheel eliminates the annoying warning messages about not having your hands on the wheel (I haven't seen a warning yet). Having the SET indicator for upcoming speed limit change displayed in the HUD makes it easy to automatically adjust speed limit. The fact you can save a permanent override (when I press SET on 100kph it sets the speed to 103kph) is great.

One pedal driving is excellent, just took a bit of getting used to compared to how it felt in my old Leaf.

Wireless Android Auto is excellent, instant connection when I get in the car, ready to navigate on Google Maps and play Spotify playlist. The Harmon/Kardon sound system is really good.

The mobile app works really well, quick and responsive, no issues to report.

The Not So Good

Wireless charging space is badly designed. Its too small and fiddly, bad UX, but worse for me is it won't charge my Pixel 6 Pro as its too big (technically it fits, just about, but won't engage wireless charging).

B mode in reverse please. One pedal driving is only available in drive. When I switch to reverse I have to turn Auto-Hold off, then reverse, then switch it back on, which is a pain.

Parking assistant is cool, but is too slow in practice. I might find a scenario once a year where its useful. I'll probably find the reversing assistant more useful.

Lane Departure system doesn't work well on country roads, having to disable it manually every time you start the car is a pain.

Using the SET button to switch automatic speed limit works well moving from a 50 zone to an 80, or dropping from an 80 to a 60, but I don't recommend pressing it when changing from 100 to 60. Like all driving assistance features (especially Autopilot) you just have to figure out what its good at, and what it isn't good at, then use accordingly.

I'm not sure the iDrive 8 system makes best use of the large display, it just doesn't feel optimised. To be fair I haven't experienced any lag.

The built-in navigation is awful compared to Google Maps.

As expected Hans Zimmer didn't last half an hour in the car before I switched Iconic sounds off.

It is compromised for space in the back, but plenty big enough for my teenage daughters.

My fault, I assumed usb ports in the back of the centre console would be part of a technology pack, not an item under "extra storage" in the comfort pack.

A frunk would be useful for the charging cable. The charging cable bag supplied is a joke, no-one has the time to pack their cables tightly enough to fit back into the bag. I would consider an after market frunk, but without a corresponding button on the keyfob to pop the hood it may not make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Model X 75D. Probably similar usable capacity.

@PDVerse - great review, thanks! I suspect you have 2 teenage daughters, not 3 like myself? 😂

@unkel Yes, just the two. As much as I love the car I couldn't recommend it if you regularly need to carry three people in the back. The middle seat is really just a place for the arm rest and cup holders.

My two girls aren't teenagers yet but I had the exact same thought myself.

Two adults max in the rear. Designed for two kids/teenagers... No more.

Have a pixel 6 Pro as well and gave up on the wireless charging after a few days. That said I blame the camera bump more than the car.

I've an iPhone 12 for work and it wireless charges without any issue.

• Advertisement

Pixel 6 here (non-pro) so might or might not work. That said, wireless charging can be easily and cheaply added yourself usually. So if the car can or can not do it, would not be a deal breaker for me.

Advertisement