Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I think the issue most will have, yourself included, is even if they don't meet criteria, they just appeal until they have "put down roots" and get leave to remain

True, that's one of the issues I have.. although I also feel that Asylum has been expanded well beyond the initial reasons for having such an option. I'd say that a good % of those getting Asylum in Ireland, aren't truly in need of Asylum, and could easily be treated as economic migrants without it unduly affecting them.

Asylum, refugees, immigration.. all of which has been allowed to expand beyond what was originally intended because the politicians, NGOS (Lobbies), etc have all sought to change policy to meet their desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

A considerable proportion of asylum claimants in Ireland are from South Africa. At present the influx is prompted by Somalis, however, pre-COVID and pre-Rwanda Plan, Ireland’s asylum claimants were primarily Nigerian, Zimbabwean, South African, Georgian and Albanian; the refusal rates being 94%, 80%, 90%, 98% and 99% respectively. The deportation rate for refused asylum claimants, however, was incredibly low, between 10% and 15%. South Africa, Georgia and Albania are listed as ‘safe countries of origin’ in Ireland and there was consideration of listing Nigeria as a ‘safe country of origin as well’ (the UK classifies Nigeria this way).

If I remember correctly, Mfaco claimed that he was the victim of homophobic abuse in South Africa and it was on that basis that he applied for asylum. In theory South Africa actually has a higher level of protection for LGBT people, as LGBT rights are enshrined in the constitution. Obviously, there is homophobia in South Africa, particularly in the shanty towns, however there are equally gay resorts in South Africa. It is worth adding here that Mfaco is from a fairly well-off family, he initially arrived in Ireland as an MA student and would have had to pay non-EU fees, in addition to accommodation etc. It was only after completing his degree that he applied for asylum. If I remember rightly, Khambule was originally Tanzanian and he either claimed asylum in South Africa or else relocated to South Africa before then claiming asylum in Ireland. South Africa, by the way, has visa free travel to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Morning Ireland is now Far Right?

OK.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lol yeah Mark's favourite two words are Far and Right Kudos to whoever ChessMaster3000 is and called him a plonker 😀 Btw with his next tweet you see him with his NGO hat pushing for a plan to address (end) Direct Provision and these are the guys the Government listen to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Another fantastic tweet. I totally agree with him and it's great to know DP is on it's way out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a pity the chancers and scammers on deportation orders aren't. Throw them out, makes more space for the few genuine people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ahh well this isn't about helping those genuinely in need. This is about getting in as many immigrants as possible, regardless of their circumstances, or how they might interact/survive in Ireland after arrival.

The more the better. DaCor made that clear earlier, and lmao has pretty much echoed the same sentiment.

Once assessments and appeals are completed, whatever the final decision, it should be carried through, whether that be deportation or granting of leave to remain.

Yes, I have no objection to more coming here. As for how they survive, there have been great improvements in this area over the last while, including the ability to seek work without restriction, the ability to get a driving licence, the ability to live away from DP centers, none of these were allowed previously. Allowing folks to earn a wage and support themselves and their families is a good thing

Well worth underlining this, as misinformation on this issue is widespread. The average time for a decision is between 12 and 18 months; it is closer to 12 months for ‘prioritised’ applications e.g. Afghan, Syrian and Iraqi nationals, and closer to 18 months for standard applications e.g. South African, Nigerian and Pakistani nationals. Appeals are responsible for essentially all Direct Provision ‘long-stayers’, of which there were and are plenty, though a minority are protection recipients that are awaiting alternative housing arrangements.

In 2020, approximately a third of asylum claimants in Direct Provision were appealing refused applications. Appeals are an issue to the extent that, in 2015, the McMahon Report established the ‘Long-Stayer Scheme’ which regularised asylum claimants in Direct Provision for over 5 years, regardless of the validity of their asylum claim. The Day Report recently recommended a revised form of the ‘Long-Stayer scheme’ which would regularise asylum claimants in Direct Provision for over 2 years.

All of this is facilitated by an endless appeals process and a deportation rate below 20%. In 2019, 2,535 individuals were issued a deportation order, while only 298 deportation orders were effected, this is equivalent to 11.76% of individuals issued a deportation order. I’ve heard it argued that successful appeals significantly affect the deportation rate, but in 2019, IPAT upheld 71% of asylum decisions and overturned 29% of asylum decisions. Accounting for overturned decisions, 16.56% of deportation orders were effected, this remains well below 20%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

What happens when someone who is given a deportation order doesn't leave?

Are they looked for? Does the dept of justice and government not bother following up?

Is their pps number cancelled or flagged which stops them from legally working and claiming of benefits?

Does anything happen if Solomon decides not to head on?

In my experience, officials will turn up at the place of work or home and load them into the back of a vehicle, bring them to a holding area somewhere for processing and then they will be deported.

The duration they stay at the "holding area" varies but thats I've seen it go.

Thats not to say reprieves aren't given. In many cases, locals will kick up a stick, protest, contact TD's/press etc etc etc to force the govt to back down and let person X, Y or Z return to the community.

One such case I'm familiar with, the father was picked up from his place of work and was held for about 2 weeks during which time the local community organised a massive campaign to get him back to his wife and kids. The kids were born here, in the local schools, on the local sports teams etc. In the end the Minister granted him permission to remain and visas were organised for all members of the family, 6 in total I think. All in all a good result for that family but right up to the last minute they did not know which way it was going to go.

If I remember rightly, it was evidenced in relatively recent Oireachtas records that the Department of Justice has limited knowledge of the status of asylum claimants with deportation orders that remain outstanding. This is a relatively consistent issue in terms of deportation, I’ve linked previous Oireachtas records testifying to it, I’ll have to try find the recent one when I have time. A lot of recent Oireachtas records are diluted by Bríd Smith et al. requesting that individual deportation orders be revoked.

“The balance of the orders have not been effected for various reasons. Approximately 6,000 persons are evading deportation. It is not known how many of these are still in the State but it is believed by the Garda national immigration bureau that a large number of these have already left of their own accord.” - 2002

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2005-04-12/59/?highlight%5B0%5D=deportation&highlight%5B1%5D=deported

“A total of 5,630 people appear to have evaded deportation orders. We do not know how many of those are still resident in the country. The Department does not appear to know either and while some of us suspect that some of those people may have been illegally trafficked into the country, there are no figures in that regard. We do not know what is going on and the Department does not seem to know either.” - 2008

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2008-02-14/8/?highlight%5B0%5D=uk&highlight%5B1%5D=deportation&highlight%5B2%5D=deportation&highlight%5B3%5D=enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Couldn't believe it this evening when rte news stated 15 counties are being monitored for the eventuality of water shortages. A couple of very hot days but you couldn't really call this a very dry summer.

Unbelievable that this government is still trying to cram as many as they can onto this small island when the services we have at the moment cannot provide properly for the population of the country at the moment.

God knows what will happen if we do get a dry summer. Suppose we can add it to the long list of hospitals and housing etc,etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good result? The guy was a criminal who came and stayed in this country illegally(never mind the criminal who was employing him). To the point where the authorities looked at his case agreed with that assessment and issued a deportation order. They should have carried out the law and deported the criminal. And yes I would say the exact same thing if an Irish person was illegally living in a country and was caught. And it seems even though 80% of the Irish electorate voted to close the birth passports loophole it's still in effect and one shake later, a sob story and an illegal immigrant is let off scot free and six members of his family who sound like they were also criminals living in this country illegally get visas too? You could not make this level of nonsense up.

I really don't know what the hell is their plan, if they have one. A part of me would love to think it's some Right On organised thing to show us the error of our nationalist ways, but the muppets involved have proven time and time again to be woefully incompetent kneejerk reactionaries on a twitter mission, and they and their support base couldn't win a cogent argument as to why this is so great for Ireland if they were paid. Three years ago Vradakar noted that Albanians and Georgians were problematic as far as genuine asylum/refugee claims go(they're almost always refused entry by our authorities), and last year while we still in the covid stuff O'Gorman goes on twitter to literally advertise Ireland as a destination for chancers, scammers and criminals where they should get housing and rights of citizens within a few months. He did this in a few languages, including Albanian and Georgian(and Urdu, Arabic, Somali and French. No doubt the latter went over well in the camps in France chock full of Arabic and Somali speaking men trying to get to the UK). You couldn't make this level of nonsense up, Part Deux.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Good result? 

According to that man, his family and the local community they lived in, yes, a very good result

I just can't work out what's going on.

It seems that this government is intent on making this country as broken as the ones the migrants were taking in are leaving.

Well our G.P and hospitals seem to be well underway to heading this way.

Worst thing is we have no party's that I can see who have any agenda to change this.

It seems that this government is intent on making this country as broken as the ones the migrants were taking in are leaving.

I get the feeling that they don't care. Their assets will be covered, and they'll remain the elite within Irish society. The difference between the wealthy and the middle class becomes far greater when a country is poor.. so perhaps that's it. As things were going previously, many of the middle class could have been considered quite wealthy, but that's starting to slide now due to the costs involved with living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Cordell

Imagine how bad must it be so that McEntee herself had to say that.

Eliteism is correct, we only have to look at the wages and expenses our politicians and local representatives are giving themselves not to mention the ludicrous pensions that they give themselves.

How can these people who we hope to make the right decisions for us have any ides of the reality of living in this country.

• Advertisement

Cheek of her to be concerned over "the integrity of our immigration and international protection systems and uphold public confidence in those systems" after what shes done to the systems and public confidence in them since shes been minister for justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

It was an admission that they got it so wrong to allow so many here.

Like Ellie Kisyombe originally from Malawi, a former Social Democrat candidate (LE19) lied in her Irish asylum application. She first secured a student visa in Ireland, before traveling to the UK and claiming asylum there. When that failed, she came back to Ireland and as expected in Ireland, she was granted leave to remain. Just recently Kisyombe was charged with assaulting a female worker at a Baleskin DP reception center in 2019. Get this...The day before her hearing, Kisyombe literally just returned from a five-week holiday in Malawi, the country which she claims to have fled as a refugee under threat of state persecution. This was her second holiday to Malawi since the Dept of Justice granted her Leave To Remain

There are far to many example's from those who have managed to get into trouble with the law. I don't think God would want to know the many many others who are in the state

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Great news. The penny has finally dropped. Public anger and concern were definitely growing. Has anyone asked Roderick if instead Irish people can have that own door accommodation that he offered to all around the world.

"However, where there is evidence that there may be abuse of such systems" Helen McEntee 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is a sensible decision from the government, and one that should have been made long ago. It was long in the gift of successive governments to control this lever, it was one of the many reasons that made the integrity of our asylum system a contradictory mess - but it took a crisis to do it.

Civil servants in the Departments of Justice, Foreign Affairs and Social Protection will be able to confirm the absurd extent to which this is true. Visits immediately after receipt of asylum are incredibly common and frequently result in issues of one form or another for the above mentioned Departments.

Going to ask for some data or report otherwise the following statement is just as true as yours: Visits immediately after receipt of asylum are incredibly rare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I'm sure I have read about people flying back to Nigeria for example but googles algorithm makes it difficult to find again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

RTE said it is a temporary suspension. But RTE also reported that France took this policy in 2003 and the UK in 1986. Did these countries do it permanently or temporarily? https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0718/1310948-immigration-visas-cabinet/

• Advertisement

Bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted would be a great motto for mcentee and this current government.

Anyhow I have no faith in our government to be capable of implementing any kind of restrictions or proper controls to stop illegal migrants entering the country.

Advertisement